Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

wicklowwanderer Avatar
wicklowwanderer Silver Member David Steverson
Marietta, Georgia, USA   USA
My B is a 1973 model, which came with a black engine/gearbox. I am thinking of going with the more traditional maroon engine/clean aluminum gearbox. However, while not being fanatical, I am also attempting a near 1973 new restoration. Thus my dilemma.

I know the 'it's your car do what you want' idea', but I'd still like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks, David

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce Hopgood
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
My vote?

opt for Black, period correct and looks OK in a HG engine bay

particularly in a freshly painted one such as yours

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 08:19 AM by riley1489.

Attachments:
BH_18V black.jpg    60.9 KB
BH_18V black.jpg

garyd Avatar
garyd Gold Member Gary Dabrowski
Naugatuck, western Connecticut, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA 1500 "Long Gone"
1974 MG MGB
1975 MG MGB
1976 MG MGB
Yup, black. If it were my car, after a while the non year correct color would drive me batty!

Member Services:
Maker of carb and choke brackets for MGB cars fitted with the SU HIF4 carb & later car HIF4 upgrades. Maker of the Air Filter Builder’s Kit, a compact and stylish alternative to Coopers Cans using economical, locally purchased air filter elements.
GregMac Greg M
London, Cambs, UK   GBR
1974 MG MGB GT "Bertie"
I wouldn't lose any sleep over painting it maroon. Black is fairly uninspiring.

WESTMIC Avatar
WESTMIC Gold Member Mike W
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT Special
1970 MG MGB GT "Arthur"
1974 MG MGB "Enid"
I went with original colours, so I have one of each.

If you had to poke around under the hood in poor lighting, the maroon might be more visible.

Dans77B Avatar
Dans77B Daniel C
Southport, Merseyside, UK   GBR
Unless you are anal about originality, I wouldn't paint it black, in my opinion a black engine always looks dirty. (Has anybody noticed the recent trend for black painted motorcycle engines?)

I made the decision to paint mine light grey - in order to make it lighter and easier to work on, and also show up oil leaks (This may end up being a curse if I don't keep up with the cleaning..)

Since maroon isn't technically original for your car anyway, have you considered any other non-MG colours?

Regards

Dan

dawvid Avatar
dawvid David B
Sharon, Massachusetts, USA   USA
It really doesn't matter unless you are doing a 100 point restoration.

Personally, I'd go for gloss black. It highlights any of the bright engine parts, such as bright nuts and bolts, etc. and is period correct.

David

74 Damask Red BGT
Davesmg@outlook.com

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
Would anyone really give you grief over a non-original engine color? And if they do, then they aren't the kind of people you should care about anyway!

My opinion, black engines are ugly. They always look dirty, and visibility is poor when wrenching on them. It's a cheap look to my eyes, kind of like a black engine bay. Some of my cars have original color engines but a couple don't, including the '67 BGT. I used a bright red on that one which not only looks great but is more pleasant to work on. No one has ever complained, and I wouldn't care if they did! Not like I painted it yellow or pink.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce Hopgood
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3472823 by Steve S black engines are ugly. They always look dirty, and visibility is poor when wrenching on them. It's a cheap look to my eyes, kind of like a black engine bay. .

Ouch!

David
The transmission was never completely Black rather had overspray from the engine paint in the bell housing area.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   USA
Pour a pint of oil on a black engine and you will never see it. Do the same on a red engine and it will show up bigtime. I like black because it always looks good even when it's dirty

coffeemung9920 Avatar
coffeemung9920 Silver Member James C
Inman, SC, USA   USA
X2 with Daniel C. My undercarriage is light grey for the same reason: enables me to see problems and pieces much better. My next engine, being worked on now, is going back in with Pontiac blue.

Not exactly original, but on this, no apologies to purists. Just stone me, for I will have sinned.

CLT74MGB Avatar
CLT74MGB Jason S
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
So what is the original engine color for a 74 B?

Dans77B Avatar
Dans77B Daniel C
Thats just another perspective on 'even when clean, black engines look dirty'!

In reply to # 3472862 by Gerry I like black because it always looks good even when it's dirty

Dans77B Avatar
Dans77B Daniel C
Have you got a photo of your undercarriage? I want to do mine in grey, but I drive through winter and reapply underseal every year, I have painted my driveshaft grey, and plan to do the same with my back axle and springs etc.

In reply to # 3472871 by coffeemung9920 X2 with Daniel C. My undercarriage is light grey for the same reason: enables me to see problems and pieces much better. My next engine, being worked on now, is going back in with Pontiac blue.

Not exactly original, but on this, no apologies to purists. Just stone me, for I will have sinned.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
David,
My 70 has a later engine since I exploded the original, but I painted it maroon since that was the cars original engine color. If it was mine I would go with black and probably a semi gloss black to keep it original since I lean that way.
Rut

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links