Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mrdel79 David Love
Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB
First off, my problem is so specific that I'm not really sure how to go about searching for it but if it has been covered, set me straight. Now to the issue. I have a 1980 MGB that my in-laws gave to my wife and I back in December '15. It hadn't run in years but I got it going... for a while. One day it developed a miss and so after a few other troubleshooting tasks, I ran a compression test. Cylinders one, three, and four are at 150, cylinder two is 100. I didn't want to use that as the only evidence that number two was dead so I started removing plug wires while running. This is where it gets specific. When I removed one of the wires, one or two, I was treated to a light show (sparky sparky) at the distributor, from the cap to the block. Then it died and has not run since. It would hit when I turned the key off for a while but now that does not happen either. No ideas at all. Parts replaced before the issue: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil (it had actually failed) and rebuilt the Weber. Both of my MG owning uncles are at a loss on this one too but maybe somebody here has an idea.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Electronic distributor or points?

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

mrdel79 David Love
1980 MG MGB
Electronic, CEI amp.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
I suspect that the CEI went south, with all the sparking etc, when you pulled the wires.

Try fitting points, to make it more bullet proof.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
What Herb said...

Dick

In reply to # 3472491 by ozieagle I suspect that the CEI went south, with all the sparking etc, when you pulled the wires.

Try fitting points, to make it more bullet proof.

Herb

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

mrdel79 David Love
1980 MG MGB
I have a Pertronix module I could swap out to make sure that's the case. I took it out because I didn't like the way the wires sat in the distributor and from what I understand, when they fail, they fail. I've been kicking around installing points so that will likely be the route I go. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes.

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
A GM HEI module will fit your distributor. Around $20 at NAPA. RAY

mrdel79 David Love
1980 MG MGB
Ok update. I reinstalled the Pertronix module and now the car starts so thank you guys for the advice! Now to figure out why cylinder 2 isn't firing. Info so far is from compression test, cylinder 2 @ 100 psi, all others @ 150 psi. I think this may need to go in a new post though.

Edit: Apparently cylinder 2 is good and the car now runs like a champ, no hesitation or stumbling, and idles at 800 nice and smooth. Thanks again to everybody who chimed in to help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-08 04:06 PM by mrdel79.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster