AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

19DPMGB69 Avatar
19DPMGB69 Gold Member Denton Perry
Snellville, GA, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
Disassembled my door mirror to de-rust and clean up. Now I can't get the spring depressed enough to install the retaining clip. Bought the "recommended replacement" from Moss. That was a waste of time and I'll have to return it. As Moss rep warned, the arm angle is all wrong for the MGB. There is absolutely no way it will adjust. Useless.

Any idea on technique for compressing the spring and reassembling my mirror will be most welcome.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    39.5 KB
image.jpeg

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Bowie, Maryland, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
A steel plate with a V notch in it. You can push hard enough on it in a vise, and after getting the clip on, slide the mirror off.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

19DPMGB69 Avatar
1969 MG MGB
Do you speak from personal experience?

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
That is how I would approach it.

GTgeezer Avatar
GTgeezer Lynn Kirkpatrick
Columbia City, Indiana, USA   USA
Can you not compress it because you can't put enough force on it, or are the coils collapsing against each other and it is still too long? If it is too long collapsed, cut off a few coils. Cutting off coils would also make it easier to collapse. If it doesn't work now, you won't lose anything by cutting off a few coils to try to get it to work.

That's the mirror on my 68 GT and it works.

Don't confuse me with facts. I've already made up my mind.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3471511 by 19DPMGB69 Disassembled my door mirror Now I can't get the spring depressed enough to install the retaining clip. Bought the "recommended replacement" from Moss. That was a waste of time and I'll have to return it. As Moss rep warned, the arm angle is all wrong for the MGB. There is absolutely no way it will adjust. Useless.

Any idea on technique for compressing the spring and reassembling my mirror will be most welcome.

Denton,
Throw the frustration out of the window and focus on a solution.

You need a tool to do this and one does not commercially exist so you will need to make one.

Whatever you do, don't remove /cut any coils from this spring as suggested, you will regret this when it is re assembled.

so,
1) remove the mirror head before you break it
2) go to the garage and find a bit of flat bar
3) drill three holes in it the correct spacing of the fasteners and the spring post, the center hole should be large enough to clear the post size, (5/16"?)
4) place the post in the base, put the spring on, with the 'special washer' between the plate & spring
5) wind the two screws until the spring compresses
6) turn the stem to lock the post in the 'special washer'
7) undo the screws slowly to release the spring tension

You will be good to go

Bruce

4)

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 07:40 PM by riley1489.

Attachments:
BH_mirror gadget.jpg    21.4 KB
BH_mirror gadget.jpg

19DPMGB69 Avatar
1969 MG MGB
This was what I had envisioned.

Thank you.

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, Washington, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
Bruce Post #6 - mirror gadget. That is very inovative and I will be making one to repair my rattling mirror.thumbs up

Be safe out there.
Kenny

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
@ Kenny
Be my guest, these little 'gadgets' is what MGB ownership is all about! winking smiley

A simple and excellent tool.

@Denton,

Glad to help!

"Bought the "recommended replacement" from Moss. That was a waste of time and I'll have to return it. As Moss rep warned, the arm angle is all wrong for the MGB. There is absolutely no way it will adjust. Useless."

Not sure what you are referring to? Is it the mirror head itself? Use the mirror head with the offset attachment. This will work better than the center attachment you show and will fit the break away arms you have.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Attachments:
mirror_001.jpg    38.6 KB
mirror_001.jpg

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Tool as above only works if there is enough spring sticking outside the retainer to grab. From the picture above, that does not look like the case. By using a slot, you can assemble it with a retainer larger than the spring.

No need to modify the spring. It fit the first time, it will fit a second time.

mainelymgb Avatar
mainelymgb Rich S
MA, New England, USA   USA
Bruce,
That is a stroke of genius!
Best,
Rich

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3471912 by tvrgeek Tool as above only works if there is enough spring sticking outside the retainer to grab. From the picture above, that does not look like the case. By using a slot, you can assemble it with a retainer larger than the spring.

Scott,
Sorry old chap but your above statement is dead wrong, and I feel that your comments will mislead others.

Trust me THIS TOOL WORKS, 100% safely & securely. Perhaps it is not fancy or technically advanced enough in design that you doubt it? .

I guess you have never looked at this type of mirror or attempted to remove/replace the spring, and comment is based on .

The retainer is on the mirror post such that the 'special washer' is static with the spring. It is the mirror post retainer that locks into the 'special washer'. Take another look at the photo I posted showing the 'gadget'. You will see that the mirror post is loose and free to movement up/down and turn. As well revisit my instructions I posted it will all make sense.

See snapshot below I try to show this.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Attachments:
BH_spring keeper1.jpg    36 KB
BH_spring keeper1.jpg

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
So the retainer is smaller than the diameter of the spring so it fits back through the hole. That was my concern. My mirrors are wing mounts and do not have the spring but I have dealt with may assemblies that are similar and the slotted plate works great. The picture in post 9 looked like it had a washer on the end.

GTgeezer Avatar
GTgeezer Lynn Kirkpatrick
Columbia City, Indiana, USA   USA
Great idea, Bruce. I had the mistaken impression the spring was the wrong one. Your idea should work. If the retainer is too small, use a washer.

Don't confuse me with facts. I've already made up my mind.

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3472109 by tvrgeek So the retainer is smaller than the diameter of the spring so it fits back through the hole.

No, the 'special washer' is a thickened washer and the same diameter to that of the spring. The center hole in the 'gadget' plate is to clear the maximum dimension of the post of the mirror.

This is why I note in my assembly instructions for Denton (#4) ) "place the post in the base, put the spring on, with the 'special washer' between the plate & spring"

Perhaps my instructions are not clear enough, let's wait to hear back from Denton as to how he makes out. winking smiley

B

Check your ego Amigo!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster