Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oshawaMGguy Avatar
oshawaMGguy Greg Wright
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I found an excellent match for MGB Blaze Red paint - it's Rona brand Zesty Orange Rust Paint. Im in Canada, don't know if it's available elsewhere. It's a great match for Blaze Red. The pics are the underside of my bonnet, before and after. Not show quality but I just wanted to clean it up.

1974 1/2 Blaze Red MGB, member of the British Saloon Car Club of Canada (EastEnders Chapter)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20170215_194847.jpg    45.4 KB
IMG_20170215_194847.jpg

IMG_20170309_191653.jpg    18.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
well worth the effort!

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
Yes - I had discovered that some time ago - it is a very close match!

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

kwinzee Ron Weber
The Hammer, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1972 MG MGB GT V6 Conversion
1974 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB GT ~ For Sale ! ~
Thanks for the tip Greg, I have two Blaze Red GTs. This will surely be helpful.

rocket ralphie Avatar
rocket ralphie ralph zbarsky
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
Good colour choice.... here is the first GT to have Blaze Red paint. RZ

Attachments:
IMG_2064.JPG    47.3 KB
IMG_2064.JPG

jewar Avatar
jewar Silver Member John Warlimont
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
Great timing on the post, I picked up a can for engine bay touchup after a master cylinder leak. Colour is great but it is not setting up. It is still tacky after 3 days, I had used a self etch primer could that be the problem? Bad can? Spraying in a garage, even kept heat on for hours and it didn't set.
John

oshawaMGguy Avatar
oshawaMGguy Greg Wright
I had a similar problem with the tackiness, also done in the garage with a heater on. I ended up pointing the heater towards the paint job and putting a box fan beside the heater, blowing on the paint job. This worked to dry up the paint within a day or so.

1974 1/2 Blaze Red MGB, member of the British Saloon Car Club of Canada (EastEnders Chapter)

jewar Avatar
Greg:
Thanks very much. It is good to know that it is not just me, heat is my friend, I will dig out a parabolic heater
John

Steve Stephenson Malcolm Stephenson
Surrey, BC, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB
John,
What brand etch-primer did you use? Rustoleum/Tremclad?
R/T combos seem to need a little help at this time of the year. What you need is half a day of summer sunshine, don't we all!!
Cheers
steve

jewar Avatar
Steve:
I used Dominion sure seal, Canadian product. My prep was wash area with 90% isopropyl alcohol first and then prime, probably a week later I sprayed the Rona. My car is painted with Endura and if properly prepared it should have been impervious to brake fluid it wasn't. Endura is a 2 part and I don't really have the skill level to do it. I had planned on leaving it just primed until I saw the post on the Rona paint and decided it was worth a try. I would like to fine sand it and topcoat it again but with the tackiness, Ithink it will just make a mess.
John

oshawaMGguy Avatar
oshawaMGguy Greg Wright
Hey John just checking in to see if you've been able to get the paint to dry properly? Hoping the heater/fan idea worked!

Greg

jewar Avatar
Greg:
I sort of got it to work, it took all weekend and a lot of heat. I think the problem is the product is old. I got the only can Rona here had and it has a expiry date of March 2016.
I am thinking the hardener is no longer active.
John

oshawaMGguy Avatar
oshawaMGguy Greg Wright
Ok hopefully it'll set for you. I hate offering out advice and then somebody runs into a problem!

jewar Avatar
It looks like it has set now, so all good. Match looks fine under artificial light anyway. My only suggestion for anyone doing this is check the exp date on the bottom of the can.
I took it back and it was the only can they had, checked a few other colours and the date was fine
John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster