1973 MGB Fuse panel with relays

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

KTMLew Gail Taylor
Wendell, North Carolina, USA   USA
Finally about ready to mount. Doing this for someone else. They needed an alternator so had them order the Saturn swap that's been mentioned here about 100 times. Need one more relay for heater.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-16 02:18 PM by KTMLew.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20170216_144606327.jpg    33.4 KB
IMG_20170216_144606327.jpg

sandglowB Avatar
sandglowB Al Blosser
Uniontown, Ohio, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Nice

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
Looks nice and compact.

Probably too late, but I would suggest adding extra, separate, fuses for the fuel pump and Overdrive (if present)

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-16 04:30 PM by Ahmed.

KTMLew Gail Taylor
In reply to # 3451620 by Ahmed Looks nice and compact.

Probably too late, but I would suggest adding extra, separate, fuses for the fuel pump and Overdrive (if present)

I intend to mount another fuse panel for the headlights. Can easily enough wire the fuel pump into that panel. I WILL go through and check AMPS draw on all circuits separately. Not sure if this car has OD? Also would like to either add fuse links or fuses to brown wires coming off starter main connection. The above is basically a knock-off of Eric's. Tried to buy his set-up but got no response. I've spent more than I'll get back building this one. Finally found the same fuse panel Eric used which is shorter than my original and fit the plate i wanted to use. Again...i didn't want to build my own. Hopefully he gets back to making them again in the spring.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3451636 by KTMLew I intend to mount another fuse panel for the headlights. Also would like to either add fuse links or fuses to brown wires coming off starter main connection.

Nice job. thumbs up

Not sure why you need to fuse the headlamps but go for it if it is a good idea. Usually a fused feed to relays would accommodate headlights, no?

Curiously the new panel you show houses the same number of fuses the 1973 came fitted with, just way tidier. cool smiley What do the two relays shown switch?

to do the "add fuse links or fuses to brown wires coming off starter main connection" see the link below this may do?

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/electrical-components/fuses-fuseboxes/strip-fuses-fuseholders/midi-fuse-70-amp-suitable-for-use-with-c-3012.html

B

Check your ego Amigo!

gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, UK   GBR
how did you crimp your flag terminals? cheapest tool i can find is £££ and just for a terminal, just too expensive.
i am thinking a vice is the only sensible tool - but only when not under the bonnet.
G

KTMLew Gail Taylor
In reply to # 3451647 by riley1489
In reply to # 3451636 by KTMLew I intend to mount another fuse panel for the headlights. Also would like to either add fuse links or fuses to brown wires coming off starter main connection.

Nice job. thumbs up

Not sure why you need to fuse the headlamps but go for it if it is a good idea. Usually a fused feed to relays would accommodate headlights, no?

Curiously the new panel you show houses the same number of fuses the 1973 came fitted with, just way tidier. cool smiley What do the two relays shown switch?

to do the "add fuse links or fuses to brown wires coming off starter main connection" see the link below this may do?

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/electrical-components/fuses-fuseboxes/strip-fuses-fuseholders/midi-fuse-70-amp-suitable-for-use-with-c-3012.html

B

I just don't like unfused hot wires. If you get in a wreck and pinch a wire the fuse keeps the car from burning . I know some people say never fuse a head light as you don't want one to blow on a dark night. Well...if the power wire shorts to ground the lights are going to get REAL dim real fast. Everything built last 25 years has one large cable for starter current and another slightly smaller (8-10ga) that powers everything else. The 8ga goes to fuse/relay panel. NOTHING leaves that panel unfused. That is what i plan to do.

sandglowB Avatar
sandglowB Al Blosser
1977 MG MGB
Good plan. One night last year after I had done my upgrade my headlights went out. I had blown a fuse. After driving home with parking lights only, I discovered a pinched wire under the cowl on the steering column. Without the circuit being fused I would have had a much larger repair.

KTMLew Gail Taylor
In reply to # 3451832 by sandglowB Good plan. One night last year after I had done my upgrade my headlights went out. I had blown a fuse. After driving home with parking lights only, I discovered a pinched wire under the cowl on the steering column. Without the circuit being fused I would have had a much larger repair.

The set-up I'll build will have separate low & high relays and fuses. So if one blows have other circuit.

sandglowB Avatar
sandglowB Al Blosser
1977 MG MGB
I had the relays fused, but I also had fused the feed to the headlight switch and that is where the short was, and why both relays had no power. As I said, the fused power supply to the switch saved me from a lot of damage.

gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, UK   GBR
as a matter of interest, did you consider micro relays? i am just wondering why one would not use them?

i have been planning a board similar to yours but space & therefore size is clearly an important consideration when locating an electrical board in the engine bay.

like yourself i had also decided to have dual relays for some circuits. initially i thought i would need to spread the board over 2 locations but with microrelays being half the size of a stock relay, that would not be necessary.

as far as i can see, a 30/40A 12v relay should do the job being small or large?

comments?

G

KTMLew Gail Taylor
OK. Gonna re-do. Going to separate the green wires at the fuse box. Blew a 10 amp fuse which runs signal light circuit which is piggybacked into back-up lights. Have a short in BU light circuit. Lights appear to be new. Probably just run another 4 circuit fuse panel.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3473045 by KTMLew OK. Gonna re-do. Going to separate the green wires at the fuse box. Blew a 10 amp fuse which runs signal light circuit which is piggybacked into back-up lights. Have a short in BU light circuit. Lights appear to be new. Probably just run another 4 circuit fuse panel.

Shorts will do that. winking smiley

My 1973 doesn't have 'BU' light circuit? in fact the only 'B' circuit is a BW used for that crazy dash warning light for failed brakes.

More fuses certainly can't hurt! thumbs up

B

Check your ego Amigo!

rntanner Avatar
rntanner Silver Member Roger N. Tanner
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
1977 MG MGB
Your local auto supply should have the relays.

Roger N. Tanner
Professional Engineer, Retired

KTMLew Gail Taylor
After thinking about this more, I suspect i don't have the wiring connected to the reverse light switch, think i have it connected to the timing advance switch (or OD if applicable-this car doesn't have OD). I'll start there. Jack car up and check operation of reverse switch first. The wiring was burned up and I made a harness.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster