MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

What will happen to our cars when self-driving cars take over?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Duo-Art Ed Chaban
Woodinville, WA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Michael's Girl"
This pretty much says it all for me when it comes to self-driving cars:

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
JohnCarpenterCHRISTINE_1024.jpg    51.5 KB
JohnCarpenterCHRISTINE_1024.jpg

Billyjoe Avatar
Billyjoe Billy K
Mineral Wells, Texas, USA   USA
My problem with all of this would be hacking. Anyone with the internet can go to Radio Shack and build a scrambler to disable cell phones, our own White House gets hacked regularly, countries hack other countries, Equifax just got hacked.

I assume these cars will have to be ran from a satellite of some sort, stop signs and speed limit signs will have to be replaced with sensors of some sort to tell the car how fast to go and when to stop.

Imagine someone with an old car with no electronics that has figured out how to hack this system and robs a bank and he can't be chased because he hacked and scrambled the system and shut everyone's cars down.

Let's not forget that we all know that when aliens land, it always shuts all electric devices down.

I hope I didn't just get put on a government watch list.

Billy

lorwood Avatar
lorwood Ed S
Ridge, New York, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
Forget about the cars what about this!!!!winking smileyRobot relations

"He rides 'er low on the hip, on the side he's got "Bound for Glory" in red, white and blue flash paint
He leans on the hood telling racing stories, the kids call him Jimmy the Saint".."And I said, "Hey kid, you think that's oil? Man, that ain't oil, that's blood"
I wonder what he was thinking when he hit that storm, or was he just lost in the flood?"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bill MacTavish Avatar
Clayton, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1970 MG MGB "Monty"
Canada's first autonomous vehicle tests are happening tomorrow, right here on the street in front of our offices.
(I work for the Federal Government, but we're in a building in a large Hi Tech area.)

Too cool. Not sure how I feel about them myself, but the technology is neat.

We're not allowed to leave the parking lot between 12:30 and 1:45 during the testing on the
city street. But I will be out there watching over lunch. smiling smiley

"Remember, for every mile of road, there are two miles of ditch."

Bill MacTavish
Clayton, Ontario
'70 BRG Roadster 'Monty'

auctionwatch Avatar
auctionwatch Steve .
., ., UK   GBR
In reply to # 3607858 by spikemichael Didn't like this test of yours.

In particular a self driving car should never be in the situation where it HAS to hit pedestrians that are crossing with the light. The self driving car should ahve known the light was turning green and be well prepared to stop.

other issues along the way like why does the town put barriers in the middle of a travel lane????

Aha, that's good I think - I don't imagine anyone but a sociopath would "like" it - after all, it involves making difficult moral decisions that involve killing people.

The scenarios don't necessarily map exactly to what a self-driving car would experience or be aware of (how could it detect a doctor up ahead?), but rather seek a human perspective on various ethical situations with a view to mapping that onto machines in due course.

"Life is like a box of chocolates - it doesn't last long if you're fat" - Joe Lycett

Inst Lizard Avatar
Inst Lizard Graham Hawes
Hollywood, Maryland, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Scarlet"
Sadly I expect they will all go the same was as horse drawn vehicles have. Such a terrible shame as it is much more fun to drive a car, than sit in a box and be driven "safely" ...... I don't think so. Graham

BusyB Platinum Member Sherman Bird
Houston, Texas, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB MkIV "Jerzy"
The total replacement of cars as we know them with so-called smart cars is a long ways off, if ever at all.

CCY Avatar
CCY Silver Member Clay Youmans
Bowie, Maryland, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Perhaps we will become renegades. Driving only at night in our illegal vehicles using black market gasoline...(=;

1978 MG MGB MkIV "Jerzy"
Black market gasoline was a reality during WW2.

yankee7 Avatar
yankee7 Dominic ROBERTAZZI
KERNERSVILLE, north carolina, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB ~ For Sale ! ~
1975 MG MGB
If the satellite that controls the computers in our cars crashes, my 1975 mgb with no computer on board will have the roads to myself. Pleasant thought.

nickj Avatar
nickj Gold Member Nick Jenkins
Novato, Marin Co, CA, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB
In reply to # 3608549 by BusyB The total replacement of cars as we know them with so-called smart cars is a long ways off, if ever at all.

Absolutely correct. It not only has to become technically possible, it has to be economically feasible. That stops a lot of things we could do, or would like to do.

1978 MG MGB MkIV "Jerzy"
Tesla had one involved in a fatal accident recently, IIRC. There will never be a replacement for a live breathing human at the wheel.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster