MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

What will happen to our cars when self-driving cars take over?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gdelozier Greg D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
My neighbor is also a car guy, he has 1971 El Camino. We talked about the advent of self-driving cars and we hope we won't be around to see it, but we can foresee a time when cars driven by a human are banned.

What do you think will happen to our cars?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 08:30 PM by gdelozier.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgjoc Avatar
mgjoc Gold Member Dennis Rainey
Albertville, AL, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB "Roscoe"
1970 MG MGB MkII "Benny"
Hopefully, they will end up in a museum somewhere where they will be admired and well cared for. Most likely, there will always be some more old geezers around to keep them on the road. I'm one already.

Cheers - Dennis

"Quality is long remembered after cost is forgotten" - Sir Henry Royce

rdgreen Avatar
rdgreen Robert Green
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia   AUS
More to the point, will petrol still be available?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
We could make our fortune by coming up with a way that a older car could be converted to a smart car. Really only needs the sensors and the computer. Would have to come up with a way of controlling steering, accelerator and brake system.

I am hoping that initially there will be roads with lanes for auto cars and lanes for driver cars, but I do agree, once the safety starts increasing, it will be harder and harder to justify driving. I predict the insurance companies will start by raising the rates on driver cars. This will put a lot of pressure on folks to switch to driverless cars. Once that happens, I don't see a lot of hope for cars like ours. It will really be a major cultural change.

Bruce E. Cunha

phatt Paul Hatter
central california, USA   USA
Once self driving cars are the norm, in X number of years, our cars will be the danger on the road. Since they're probably not going to build a separate road system for non-self driving cars. I think that insurance rates for old technology (our cars) will go through the roof. Most people will not have the money to afford them and drive.

A slightly different question is: Why will we need insurance? paul

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Horses and buggies are still allowed now, 100 years after they were outmoded.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Gary G Avatar
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Self driving cars deliberately avoid obstacles and other cars. When you pilot your MG through them they will stop to let you proceed.

It will have no effect on us at all.

smoking smiley

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
The insurance companies and courts will tell us what will happen.

“If you stumble, make it part of the dance. “

Do Aliens Have Inalienable Rights?

"... cohomology rings of smooth projective algebraic varieties ..."

“Where did the public good enter into all this maze of personal intrigue, this wilderness of stunted natures where no straight road is to be found, but only the tortuous and aimless travels of beasts and things that crawl?”

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

“Yes, another great idea destroyed by a simple set of facts."

“All of us at one time or another have had a sense of déjà vu, a feeling that this has happened before, that this has happened before, that this has happened before."

TANSTAAFL !

Bruce Cunha Avatar
I have been telling my son that here is an opportunity to make his fortune. Think about how cell phones started and progressed.

A lot of questions that this brings up. Will insurance be needed? How will this impact the police and highway patrol? Fewer to no accidents and no speeders equals very little need for large highway patrol systems.

We were having a discussion on this the other day relating to Trumps pledge to rebuild the infrastructure. How do you plan for the roadways? Do you add induction wires into the roads so that cars will be able to pick up electricity off the roadway? This would allow for charging for the electricity similar to a gas tax. Do you rebuild the roads so that you can have driver and driverless cars? For a time, that will be needed.

Bruce E. Cunha

rdgreen Avatar
rdgreen Robert Green
In reply to # 3409417 by phatt
A slightly different question is: Why will we need insurance? paul

I would have answered this question 20 minutes ago......but my internet crashed (seriously it did)...does that answer your question?

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Here's some interesting reading:

https://medium.com/startup-grind/mind-blowing-driverless-future-fcc5197d509#.xk0ohi8tw

“If you stumble, make it part of the dance. “

Do Aliens Have Inalienable Rights?

"... cohomology rings of smooth projective algebraic varieties ..."

“Where did the public good enter into all this maze of personal intrigue, this wilderness of stunted natures where no straight road is to be found, but only the tortuous and aimless travels of beasts and things that crawl?”

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

“Yes, another great idea destroyed by a simple set of facts."

“All of us at one time or another have had a sense of déjà vu, a feeling that this has happened before, that this has happened before, that this has happened before."

TANSTAAFL !

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
When it is acceptable that all air travel is by remotely piloted aircraft, then it might be possible to consider a driverless auto. Not going to happen in our lifetime, or our cars for that matter.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Someone will form a consortium, buy thousands of acres of land,create a driving experience DriversLand.
Or if you're old enough to remember Car and Driver had a short scifi story several decades ago about future drivers in small sports cars going out to do battle against big cars loaded with all sorts of protective gear.

By the year 2040 predictions have it that no one will need a drivers licence anymore.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

rdgreen Avatar
rdgreen Robert Green
In reply to # 3409437 by ohlord

By the year 2040 predictions have it that no one will need a drivers licence anymore.

Judging by the standard of driving around here.....it's already happened.eye rolling smiley

Bruce Cunha Avatar
I always love reading articles from folks that obviously live in the city We that live in the country face this every day with all sorts of "mass transit" plans. Mass transit works great in cities, but if you live in the country, they fail. So here are a few issues from the above article..

People won’t own their own cars. Transport will delivered as a service from companies who own fleets of self-driving vehicles. That is great if you live in a city where you can have a car at your door in a few minutes. If I want to go anywhere, I have to drive. I don;t see any future where I don't have a car. I had to make a run to the hardware store today. The one right down the street did not have the part I needed. The second one was out of the part I needed. I ended up driving 20 minutes to another hardware store. While this could be done in cars you call, it would take a lot more time. Perhaps the answer is that there will be driver-less cars that deliver a part that you order on the internet.

There won’t be any parking lots or parking spaces on roads or in buildings. Garages will be re-purposed — maybe as mini loading docks for people and deliveries. Aesthetics of homes and commercial buildings will change as parking lots and spaces go away. You will still have to have people driving into the city. If the population of a city increases by X amount every day from people commuting in to work, you will still need some area to keep the vehicles to take them home. You will also still need parking spaces for people that do own their own cars.

There will be many fewer net vehicles on the road (maybe 1/10th, perhaps even less) I dont understand this one. You will still have as many people that need to travel.

Bruce E. Cunha

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster