Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Engine Identification

Posted by Tango68 
Tango68 Avatar
Colin Hooper
Westport, Ontario, Canada   can
1977 MG MGB

I have just purchased my first North American MGB, I had one thirty years ago when living in Germany.
The car Vin identifies it as a 1977 which is correct, but when I looked at all of the exhausts in the catalogies the '77 should have a single down pipe with a catalytic converter. This engine has twin down pipes and no converter. I am wondering if at some point in the cars life an older engine has been installed. the engine number is 18V892AE-L374 can anyone ID that engine and tell me what year of manufacture it is?
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
jrp316 Avatar
Josh Phillips
Kentucky, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Bomb"

It's a fairly common thing for emissions items (catalytic converter, air pump, et cetera) to be removed from the later cars. My '77 has no emissions stuff, twin carbs, no catalytic converter and an early points distributor. It's a fairly common thing to happen with the later cars.

Your engine ID number appears to be correct for a '77 MGB.

Josh
'77 MGB
Kentucky
Jerry Avatar
Jerry Harrington
north east, USA   usa

the cats had a habit of glowing red and if ever there were fuel leaks from the carbs the car would burn, so the cat went where the laws let it go. as for the VIN, get in touch with British Motor Heritage, they can give you all the info n your car, almost down to the cigaretts the assemly men smoked while putting your car together.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Tango68 Avatar
Colin Hooper
1977 MG MGB

I agree that this was probably done as you say, however I was expecting to see a single downpipe if removal of the converter was the only modification, did the the catalytic converter mount onto a single or twin manifold?
jrp316 Avatar
Josh Phillips
Kentucky, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Bomb"

Single pipe manifold...the catalytic converter was mounted directly below the intake manifold on the exhaust manifold. Like Jerry mentioned above, the Stromberg carburettor had a tendency to develop a rich running condition (too much fuel). This would cause the converter to get so hot that it glowed a cherry red. That can cause a slew of problems.

As such, many owners in states with relaxed emissions laws removed them. Your exhaust manifold might be an aftermarket part. Do you have a picture of it?

Josh
'77 MGB
Kentucky
Tango68 Avatar
Colin Hooper
1977 MG MGB

I will get one and post it asap, also this engine has twin SU's.
Secondly I received some points and a condenser today that I ordered by telling the shop it was a '77
The points I received were the newer style where the condenser and coil connection 'clip on' the the end of the spring.
The points in the distributor are the type with the nylon 'top hat' that has a nut securing the condenser and coil. that was another reason I thought the engine was not original.
jrp316 Avatar
Josh Phillips
Kentucky, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Bomb"

The distributor wouldn't be the original unit if it has points. The '77s came with a Opus electronic ignition distributor, which was considered highly unreliable.

As such, many owners replaced them with an earlier points unit (25D or 45D) or the CEI system (stock on '79-'80 models, and used as a factory replacement for the Opus).

If you delve in further to the MG hobby, you'll find that many of these cars are modified in one form or another. Some are good (twin SUs), some are not (Dreaded Previous Owner DPO). It sounds like your '77 has many of the same modifications that my car has. On the body of the distributor, near the cap, can you find a number? The number(s) you find there will help you in ordering parts in the future.

Josh
'77 MGB
Kentucky
Tango68 Avatar
Colin Hooper
1977 MG MGB

Thanks Josh
I'll get another look at it tomorrow.

Service. (sûrvs)
Installation, maintenance, or repairs provided or guaranteed by a dealer or manufacturer: a dealer with full parts and service.
DB Wood Avatar
Daniel Wood
Tumalo, OR, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB GT "Clyde"
1970 MG MGB GT

The cat was on a single downpipe manifold. Do you have twin carbs or is the single Stromberg in place. The engine number is probably for a 77 but the Moss catalog says 18V883 was used from 77 to 80. Since the number is higher it may indicate overdrive. Do you have it? Anyway the compression ratio if unaltered is 8.0 to 1 and earler engines thru 18 GK had 8.75 to 1.

Dan Wood
70BGT driver, OD, Pertronix, HS4's, Peco, .060 over, Elgin cam, Superlite wheels, poly bushings, panhard rod, rear tube shocks, 1" lowered front end, HD shock valves, etc, etc.
69BGT project (V-6?)
88 Saab SPG Turbo
86 Vanagon Westy (South African conversion engine 2.0 OHC 135HP)

Lucas= Loose
Unsoldered
Connections
And
Splices
Tango68 Avatar
Colin Hooper
1977 MG MGB

The car has no overdrive, it is a four speed. I checked with the North American register and the engine is coded as a low compression so I assume that is the 8.0.
There was an emission system on it, but all of the hoses etc have been removed.
It has twin SU carbs.

Service. (sûrvs)
Installation, maintenance, or repairs provided or guaranteed by a dealer or manufacturer: a dealer with full parts and service.
Tango68 Avatar
Colin Hooper
1977 MG MGB

My apologies to those of you whose time I have wasted with regard to my engine ID
I omitted to inform you that my North American MGB is so far North that it is in Canada !!
I was informed today by the parts store that the Canadian MGB did not have catalytic converters nor electronic ignition.
But they reliably informed me that it has been converted to twin SU as that is not standard.
Sorry.... I will do better next time.

Service. (sûrvs)
jrp316 Avatar
Josh Phillips
Kentucky, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Bomb"

No such thing as a stupid question or waste of time when it comes to the LBC tongue sticking out smiley.

If you want to learn more about your car's inner workings, pick up a Haynes or Bentley workshop manual. Any online bookstore should have them.

Josh
'77 MGB
Kentucky

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG