MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

accuspark??

Posted by northernMG 
Kevin Stephens
nova scotia, Canada   can

anyone any problems running that "accuspark" type electronic ignition?
its on e-bay for $40... seems like a 'pertronics' knock-off
but if it works....?
maybe its like a 'black' rotor vs a 'red' rotor
I;m still running points in my 25D fitted to my 74 Bee.. no issues yet...
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Donthuis Avatar
Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   nld

In reply to # 2469219 by northernMG anyone any problems running that "accuspark" type electronic ignition?
its on e-bay for $40... seems like a 'pertronics' knock-off
but if it works....?
maybe its like a 'black' rotor vs a 'red' rotor
I;m still running points in my 25D fitted to my 74 Bee.. no issues yet...

I have bought two sets of Accuspark and both work fine. The only problem was that the ring with the magnets inside for around the rotor fitted well on the original but old Lucas 45D, but on a replacement "after market" 45D it did not fit. But if you buy the set with the two type of rings in, one separate from the normal rotor, one with the rotor combined this is not a problem, because that combined unit fitted well to my aftermarket distributor. I checked my old Lucas "sports" coil for minimum resistance at >=3 ohms and renewed it after my vacation with the same type just to be sure. Low resistance coils are NOT to be used (see their site).

They also sell units for the 25D distributor. I threw the 25D out years ago, because I found this fiddling with rings and nuts to get new points in a chore, 45D's are much simpler and work just as well. But once Accuspark is in, fiddling is no longer needed.

$40 equals more or less €30 I payed for the first, single unit, so the price is right. The unit with both rotor/ring variants in one package cost me €35 at a fair ($47?). When you keep your original old 25D in, the simple package is enough for you.

Pertronix units are much more costly and looking at the specifications I saw only minor differences, mainly in the overvoltage these units survive. Here Pertronix is marginally better. You should NEVER use jump start on your B with electronics inside; then neither of those units will fail any time soon.

PS Always keep a set of classical points and a condensor with you in the car at all times. Then a failure in the Accuspark electronics can easilly be corrected, which is NOT the case if you put 123 or CSI units in: if they fail you are sunk!

With my first unit in my car I covered 1600 miles on a holiday in France. I kept the whole aftermarket distributor -then still with points- in the trunk, just to be sure. Never needed it! Now with the other unit, I only have the points + condensor with me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 10:37AM by Donthuis.
curtis7420 Avatar
Curtis Wright
Univerisity City, MO, USA   usa

Jeff was basically giving them away about a year ago. i think he was having too many problems with them - returns. so, he was selling them off for $19/each, with no guarantee attached. i picked up one and keep it in the trunk as a backup. i'm presently running points.

he's the one to ask this question to - hopefully he'll chime in. he may even still have some for sale. check out his website - never mind, i just did and they are "out of stock". but here's what he wrote:

This is a very inexpensive (made in China) electronic ignition for 4 cylinder 25D distributors, as used from '62-'74. It is for negative earth applications only.

They fit, they work, instructions are on the packaging. Sold by others on Ebay as Accuspark or Stealth brand.

The photo depicts it installed in a distributor - distributor/breaker plate not included.

No implied or expressed warranty.

http://advanceddistributors.mybisi.com/product/points-assembly-for-22d-23d-25d-and-late-dm2-lucas-1-1-1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 10:58AM by curtis7420.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
adam73bgt Avatar
Adam Andrew
Ipswich, Suffolk, United Kingdom   gbr

I've had an accuspark kit fitted to my B (45D distributor) for over a year of daily driving now and I've seen no issues with it smiling smiley
ronnie1 Avatar
Ronnie Potter
Thornley, County Durham, United Kingdom   gbr

I bought an Accuspark complete electronic distributor a few months ago, works fine and the quality looks OK. Paid £50 including postage.

Ronnie
ErnieY Avatar
Ernie Y
Nr Cahors, France   fra

I have an Accuspark unit and it works just fine.

I switched to it about a year ago because I thought I had an intermittent problem with the Lumenition electronic ignition which I'd had on the car for 25 years+ but ultimately it turned out to be something else and I simply haven't bothered switching back.

I carry a complete points distributor as a spare, cap leads and all, it's already marked for timing so little more than 5 minute job to fit it if ever became necessary.
Donthuis Avatar
Don van Riet

In reply to # 2469613 by curtis7420 Jeff was basically giving them away about a year ago. i think he was having too many problems with them - returns. so, he was selling them off for $19/each, with no guarantee attached. i picked up one and keep it in the trunk as a backup. i'm presently running points.

he's the one to ask this question to - hopefully he'll chime in. he may even still have some for sale. check out his website - never mind, i just did and they are "out of stock". but here's what he wrote:

This is a very inexpensive (made in China) electronic ignition for 4 cylinder 25D distributors, as used from '62-'74. It is for negative earth applications only.

They fit, they work, instructions are on the packaging. Sold by others on Ebay as Accuspark or Stealth brand.

The photo depicts it installed in a distributor - distributor/breaker plate not included.

No implied or expressed warranty.

http://advanceddistributors.mybisi.com/product/points-assembly-for-22d-23d-25d-and-late-dm2-lucas-1-1-1

Other than the Pertronix unit, Accuspark units use the mounting plate and screws were the points and condenser were held before, as cooling surface and anchoring points. That's why they include some white paste to improve heat transfer from the small unit to the existing plate. It resembles the way the processor in your PC is transferring heat to its cooler.

Pertronix uses its own plate to the unit on top of the existing distributor mounting plate and therefor dispends with the cooling paste. But the wiring principle for both is the same: were you had one wire to the primary side of the coil, you now get the same one to the coil and a second wire either to the + side of the coil or in case of a ballast resistor or a currentsensing tacho to the switched + on your fuse box. Since my 1972 still has a current sensing tacho, I wired to the fuse box straigthaway.

The video on the Accuspark site shows how extremely simple this exchange of points by their unit is. Some people forget to tie the wires to the mounting plate by the tie they put in the package on purpose and then these wires can get chafed and shortcircuit.. But if you follow their mounting instrutions as shown such problems do not appear later on (the same warning on proper mounting holds true for Pertronix by the way).

In Holland some people selling MG parts stopped ditributing Accuspark too, but for the reason of the ring I mentioned in my earlier post not fitting in all cases. Others stepped in and it is still widely sold today on MG Carclub meetings over here. For the price of one Pertronix one can buy 3 or even 4 of these Accuspark units smiling smiley

PS So instead of taking your old points and condenser as a spare in case of emergency with you, buying and taking a second unit in the boot is a cheap alternative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 01:18PM by Donthuis.
Donthuis Avatar
Don van Riet

In reply to # 2469707 by ErnieY I have an Accuspark unit and it works just fine.

I switched to it about a year ago because I thought I had an intermittent problem with the Lumenition electronic ignition which I'd had on the car for 25 years+ but ultimately it turned out to be something else and I simply haven't bothered switching back.

I carry a complete points distributor as a spare, cap leads and all, it's already marked for timing so little more than 5 minute job to fit it if ever became necessary.

I did the same on my very first vacation with the Accuspark mounted, it is the fastest solution.

By the way Lumenition units are advertised as using a very low resistance coil of 1,5 Ohms? under the "Flamethrower" logo. Did you keep your original coil? Because Accuspark units require "normal" resistance coils of around 3 Ohms or more to work best. Or with lower resistance ballast resistor coils to leave the resistor in but with its bypass on the startermotor deactivated.
ErnieY Avatar
Ernie Y
Nr Cahors, France   fra

As I recall the Accuspark is supplied with a small sachet of heat sink compound but unfortunately it's widely misunderstood and abused substance, all that is required is a thin smear - it acts like a gasket if you like to promote better contact between the components and therefore better heat transfer - so definitely a case of less is more.

Many people seem to think the opposite though and daub huge dollops of the stuff on which results in exactly the opposite effect, insufficient heat transfer and is that which probably causes premature failures.
Kevin Stephens

thanx for the feed back guys
sounds like it may be the way to go, considering cost
I spent more this year on my MG's and Triumph motorcycles
than I have in the last 10 years . or more !
more like "catch-up" on deferred maintenance
I run a pertronix on my 74 1275cc midget with a 45D dizzy
and no issues whatsoever.. standard coil, RED rotor, solid wires etc.
my daily driver "B" has a 25D and points , RED rotor, and runs fine
the damn black rotor left me stranded at the harbour bridge once..eeek!
ronnie1 Avatar
Ronnie Potter
Thornley, County Durham, United Kingdom   gbr

I looked at buying the Accuspark to convert the existing (25D) dizzy, but the cost was I think £25. A complete new Accuspark electronic dizzy was £50 ready to fit straight in. A much better deal.

Ronnie
rovohn Avatar
John Walkden
Langley,BC, Canada   can
1972 Rover P6
1976 Jensen GT
1977 MG MGB

I'm using the Accuspark,no problems so far
John
pinkyponk Avatar
Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia Canada, Canada   can

Mine is working fine.
Aphyle2012 Avatar
Eric Pyle
Shenandoah Valley, VA, USA   usa

As is mine. I've run about 130 miles of back country roads since I put mine in, and no issues so far! I like the idea of carrying a points unit in the boot, just in case!
ErnieY Avatar
Ernie Y
Nr Cahors, France   fra

Even just a set of points and a condenser can be a lifesaver, and of course maybe not just for you either !

Carrying a whole distributor is for quickness and it really doesn't weigh enough or take up enough space to be a problem.
Kevin Stephens

Adrian
if you don't mind me asking
where did you get your accuspark??
I usually order from Drake's (Moss) in BC
but I haven't seen them in Moss's wish book
pinkyponk Avatar
Adrian Page

In reply to # 2470763 by northernMG Adrian
if you don't mind me asking
where did you get your accuspark??
I usually order from Drake's (Moss) in BC
but I haven't seen them in Moss's wish book

I got mine from Accuspark on ebay. 40 bucks delivered to my mailbox.
Kevin Stephens

Thanx Adrian
I usually don't bother too much with e-bay
PM me with the vendor if you like
thanx again.. might just go that route
pinkyponk Avatar
Adrian Page

Kevin,

Accuspark is distributed by Watford Classics in the UK. They also go by MG Breakers. The Accuspark store on Ebay is theirs. I have done business with them both in their Ebay store and on their Watford Classics website. Good bunch to deal with. I have not bought any used parts through their MG Breakers division.

If you want an Accuspark ignition you will have deal with some branch of there company... it's their trade name. I found the Ebay store was the simplest and I don't think they offered the same price in the brick and morter store/website. Just click "buy it now" and go sit out by your mailbox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2013 09:23PM by pinkyponk.
Kevin Stephens

ordered one tonite. $41 (cdn) and change with the exchange rate
and free shipping to boot
its for my 25D in the 74 bee
I have a pertronix 45D in my 74 midget
yay

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG