MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Hoyle Engineering U.K Independent Rear Suspension

Posted by kazbielinski 
kazbielinski Avatar
Kaz Bielinski
Huntington Beach, CA, USA   usa

Has anyone in the club done this? If so was it worth the effort. Frontline, a competitor with a 5 link solution, says this design has inherent flaws:
http://www.hoyle-engineering.co.uk/
http://www.frontlinedevelopments.com/
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Peter-Sherman Avatar
Peter Sherman
Melbourne, Australia   aus
kerbau53 Avatar
Geoff Morton
Naples, Florida, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB V8 Conversion "The Wreck"

I have heard that the axles on the Hoyle system may be a tad weak for higher HP applications. Everything else I've read about it over the years was positive though.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Speedracer Avatar
Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB "The Biscuit"

I'm all for cool, even radical stuff, but I guess my question is what do what to want to achieve with this, and what improvements are seeking, and at price tag of $3k plus shipping to America, is this really worth the money, as for performance. I have to think most wanting this are seeking the, "hey look at what I have" reaction. I think modifications are, being one who have done lots of it to these cars, get somewhat off the realm of common sense at times, it gets to point where it starts to become somewhat goofy, I think this qualifies, but there is for sure a market for obsession, and goofiness with our cars smiling smiley I would say buy a Jag E type, and you will already have this.

If you want a tricker rear suspension set up than stock, I would say look at Bill Guzman's, 4 link set up, it's simple, easy to install, I done one, and it gives you easy ride height adjustment.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
Performance Street/Race engines- modified heads, and DIY engine rebuilt kits
New alloy wheels options for MGBs, see vendors forum for details.
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,2657584
Be sure to check my engine rebuild kit thread in the Vendors forum for weekly tips. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,1828263

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2013 09:12AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for MGB/TR6
ingoldsb Avatar
Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   can
1971 MG MGB

Quote: I would say buy a Jag E type, and you will already have this

Or a Miata.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com
ohlord Avatar
Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   usa
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"

We have at least one local club member with one behind a very nice 302 345hp SBF he loves it. IRS is completely different ball game
Than a fixed solid diff. Even 5 or 5 link. I think the hoyle is based on the sierra rear so all out drop the hammer starts with 345hp is going to lead a short life.
CCE kit with gm or ford rear you could put any power to it and bulletproof.

"You take off the roof and the top is the height of the nearest Star"
Glenn Polly Avatar
New York, New York, USA   usa

I'm running the classic conversion 4 link instead of leaf springs - I would have bought the Hoyle IRS but I already had a quaife differential and I did a rear disc brake conversion. You can get the Hoyle IRS set up with disc brakes and the LSD diff

I'm very happy with the 4 link, I do have the Hoyle dual wishbone coil over conversion in the front - my MG handle amazingly.

I can tell that there as a U-Turn on 97th Street exit of the north bound Henry Hudson that takes you around a bend to the southbound side. It says 20 mph but i take it a 50 - 55 in third gear and power all the way through the apex, I can probably push it a little harder.
kazbielinski Avatar
Kaz Bielinski
Huntington Beach, CA, USA   usa

What's wrong with"Bragging Rights"? I got a V8 vantage that will do 170 m.p.h! Nay Na Na Na Na. Have I ever gone that fast? No. I want to brag, not kill myself.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG