Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Complete Engine Change

Posted by oldmod 
Mick Wallington
Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand   nzl
1977 MG MGB "Bluebird"

Help, I need some advice.

Have decided to blue print another engine for my "77 MG. I could go through the whole execise of rebore, pistons and rings, head upgrade etc.
OR I could buy a 2000cc stage 2 Performance unit. OR a stage 2 head on a rebored 1.8 to 2000 with a new cam and carbs.

Does any know the best way to go about this convertion.

Mick
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
the omega man Avatar
phil wilkins
staffordshire, Stafford, United Kingdom   gbr

Biggest I've seen is 2100 cc from the MGOC
MGB567 Avatar
Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   aus
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"

Welcome Mick. If the following that I went through helps... for quite sometime I thought about importing a full motor as Omega alludes to from MGOC. In the end I kept mine and balanced it so not total blueprint. The deciding factors were that despite all my changes I really wanted to keep my original block. I don't know if you have the wherewithal to diy. I didn't so I had mine professionally done. I stripped it but a shop tanked it and bored it to match the pistons they had (I've only gone to +40) plus they did the crank and had it all balanced. I put it together with a head I imported from Peter Burgess (well Mechspec Dave). Doing it that way was about breakeven with importing a full motor (they are not readily available here) and I saved myself the hassle with Customs.

CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67 owned since 3/77. Undergoing nut and bolt restoration. Tartan Red (now). 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2013 07:39AM by MGB567.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
MGST Avatar
Andrew Metford
Perth, Western Australia, Australia   aus

Shipping a whole engine from England to NZ will not be cheap!!! And those engines aren't exactly cheap either. I think with what it would cost you to get an engine sent from England you could rebuild your one very nicely indeed. The MG Service Centre ( Christchurch I think ) should be able to sort you out.

Bear in mind that a 1950 engine is the stock stroke with a 0.135" overbore. The MGOC 2100cc is the 0.135" overbore plus a stroked crank to get the extra 150cc. I don't know what sort of driving you intend to do, but the B engine is hardly a bigger revver as it is, and increasing the stroke won't help it. Unless you intend to seriously race it, a 1950 with a fast road cam, clean up the head, balance everything, and the obvious re-jet of the carbs will keep most people happy for many years, even with the occasional track day.

1973 MG BGT - Harvest Gold / Black interior, negative camber front A arms, 3/4" front sway bar, Halogen headlights.

1974 MG BGT - Bracken / Autumn Leaf interior, 13 point roll cage, 1950cc, 12:1cr, forged pistons, Carrillo conrods, o-ringed block, steel crank, steel sprocket flywheel, Titan alloy roller rockers, Kent 719SP billet camshaft, Isky chrome moly tubular pushrods, Basil Adams' alloy side plate, Weber DCO SP 48 side draught carb, Crane electronic ignition, Davies Craig electric water pump and electric fan, mgccars.com 96 amp alternator, runs straight Avgas, "home-made" close ratio gearbox, banjo diff / 4:11 Quaife LSD, Nissan ventilated front discs, Austin Princess 4 piston calipers, 7/8" Wilwood brake m/c, 550lb front springs, 3/4" front sway bar with 9/16" secondary sway bar, Bilstein telescopic front shocks on custom top arms adjustable for caster and camber ( currently running 2.5 degrees negative camber ), 1" rear lowering blocks. See it here http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,11702

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG