Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
I've recently joined a Mini forum that is mostly guys from Britain, and I'm seeing a few restorations that take a pretty interesting approach. What seems to be "popular" right now is to bring the body and paint up to snuff, but then put the car back together with patina'd components so that the car doesn't have that oh-so-freshly-restored look. Things like aged carpet, chipped paint on switch plates, and faded wiring harness wrapping are seen as a plus rather than a minus.

Personally, I think this approach is kind of refreshing.....sort of the opposite of what the SoCal VW crowd has been doing for a while where they restore everything except the body and paint. I could see how it is a very fine line to walk, and could easily look horribly wrong. Perhaps it's the sweet knock-off steelies this guy fabbed for his Mini, but I think this car came out fantastic. I wonder if this could catch on for MGB's?

http://www.mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4915

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Here's another one where a seriously hardcore Mini fan had his dream MiniSprint cut-down by Neville Trickett, and put the car back together with an original interior kit....suitably shortened, of course.

Attachments:
4852-mf.pdf    730.5 KB

favedave Avatar
favedave David Church
Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "Marilyn"
1967 MG MGB GT "Marilyn"
1995 Ford Probe "The Probe"
1995 Ford Probe
Gee, I thought that's what I was doing to my 67 GT. I have plenty of Patinaed Parts that I've taken the Brasso to to bring them back to presentable, but not restored. I cannot afford rechroming anything so my replacements when needed are patinaed too. I actually like the road wear. My original grill surround has been polished so many times in the past 45 years on one corner it is worn through the chrome and down to the now mirror polished brass. Love it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
costerhus Chris Osterhus
Pittsburgh, USA   USA
Even though my GT has been restored, it still has plenty of patina. Mainly because I can't see replacing things if the original item still works and is in good shape. The car sports its original grille, bumpers, gauges, and other parts. Most of those items cleaned up easily. But some, like the rear bumpers (I own a '70 GT), are no longer available. They're not perfect--there's some rust spotting--but they still look good otherwise. Front bumper is another story. The chrome on that has gone flat...and really needs redone now. Also kept, was the original knob on the choke. It still does what it's supposed to, even if the lettering has gone yellow.

racedriver Avatar
racedriver Andrew McGee
Holmfirth, UK   GBR
Think I'm doing a combination of the SoCal and Patina'd look. The body of my 66BGT has ripples and indentations in it, they've been left in when I've painted it. The paint finish itself isn't a high gloss straight out of the booth look, but has a distinct aged look about it. It's not that I've actually tried hard to make it this way, though we are doing this one on a minimum expenditure basis, it's just the way it is coming together. I'm quite looking forward to having a car that isn't a trailer queen or one that I'd be afraid to park in the local supermarket (IKEA, how ironic!) carpark and think someone is going to hit it or vandalise it.

Yesterday I even managed to paint the door a slightly deeper shade of Mallard Green (see photo).... actually that was a proper mistake and over the next few days I'll redo that again to be the lighter colour as that would constantly annoy me! moody smiley

Attachments:
BGT34.JPG    47.9 KB
BGT34.JPG

BGT35.JPG    44.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TJS Avatar
TJS T J Smith
Soulbury, Bucks, UK   GBR
I quite like the concept of restoring and preserving originality whenever safely possible. "Concours" restoration to "better than new" just seems so false as the cars were rarely "perfect" when they left the factory. But let's not go there !

http://www.nutleysports.co.uk/MGADeluxe-Blue.htm

However .. first you need to locate and buy a Mini to "preserve" .... What about $60,000 to start with !!

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20141/lot/307/

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Sounds like what I've done with my MGBs since the 70, using parts cars instead of buying new items. smiling smiley

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 2291730 by favedave Gee, I thought that's what I was doing to my 67 GT.

Yes, I realize people have been restoring MGBs for years, and making use of good parts to stay on budget, but I still believe this is something different that we are not seeing (yet) on MGBs, or in the US for that matter.

Take the MiniSprint, owned by Mark Forster, for instance. Mark is a Mini guru who is known the world over as an authority on Mini originality, as well as tuning companies like Downton.....sort of a Lloyd Faust of the Mini world. That MiniSprint has been a dream that has rattled around his head for years, and so I have to imagine that was a "no expense spared" build, but he chose to use an "old" interior. I still don't think the MGB crowd is taking this approach, unless its the restoration of something that is historically significant.

Personally, I think the approach is very cool......

mgbbrown Avatar
mgbbrown Gold Member Tony and Sharon Ann Brown
Rougemont, North Carolina, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
Benny; The British restorers call it a sympathetic restoration and it has been around for a while. Historic racers are often brought back to life in this manner. It not only preserves patina and use history- to me it does not look over-restored and both are important in my opinion. This type of restoration is not cheap! As an example-here is an Austin Healey 3000 battery cut-off switch using all original harware that was not replated- only the bracket was painted. It took two switches to produce this particular example. Here is a close up of the dashpots on my carbs- hand buffed but the scratches, dents, and FF for front R for rear stampings remain as it was done in period. Those Les Leston Ram pipes are far from perfect too. Even though I am interested in originality- I never have been a pristine concours guy and rally gear is usually found used anyway. Bring them up to snuff and enjoy them as intended. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Always drink upstream from the herd. Will Rogers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-17 09:46 PM by mgbbrown.

Attachments:
Austin Healey 3000 Battery Cut-Off Switch 1967.jpg    23.1 KB
Austin Healey 3000 Battery Cut-Off Switch 1967.jpg

Austin Healey Battery Cut-Off Switch 1967 Back.jpg    22.8 KB
AUD265 SU Dashpot Top Front.JPG    26.2 KB
AUD265 SU Dashpot Top Rear.JPG    24.8 KB
AUD265 SU Carburetor Body.JPG    44.6 KB
Les Leston HS4 Ram Pipe Detail View.JPG    30.3 KB
Starbuck Monte johnjulio
Greensboro, North Carolina, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "Toaster"
1974 MG MGB "The B"
1979 Triumph 1500 ~ For Sale ! ~
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Shitfire"
So me being a cheapass and not buying new stuff makes me trendy and cool...
I'll go with that.
smiling smiley

"...They say that a man with two restoration projects is a poor man...I now have three...WTF was I thinking!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

1967 MGB-GT,1979 MGB roadster, 1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 1974 MGB Roadster (retired, giving its life to be a parts car)

My 1974 MGB restoration at: http://mgbproject.blogspot.com/
My 1979 Spitfire restoration at: http://spitfire1500project.blogspot.com/
My 1967 MGB-GT restoration at: http://mgbgtproject.blogspot.com/

captkenny2 allen kenny
omaha, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
By the way, I have a seriously "patina'd" interior kit I can part with. However, as with all gourmet parts, I will be asking premium prices. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Gary,

You are absolutely correct a out this being something that is more prevalent in Britain. When I got my E-type, there was a nasty rip in the vinyl that covered the load-bay floor, as if someone had jambed their skis back there. I had it repaired, and it was almost invisible.

I posted some before and after pics on Jaglovers, and an American guy said "Why not just have it recovered?!".....I explained that this would stick out like a sore thumb in my otherwise perfect, original interior. His response to that was "Well, I guess that's an acceptable excuse". The English guys on the board jumped all over him for that one.

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB    & more
In reply to # 2291826 by Benny
Yes, I realize people have been restoring MGBs for years, and making use of good parts to stay on budget, but I still believe this is something different that we are not seeing (yet) on MGBs, or in the US for that matter.

Personally, I think the approach is very cool......

It has been going on in Canada for years....maybe it's a British Empire thing...glad you approve.smoking smiley

balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TEXAS, USA   USA
I have talked to many serious car guys in SoCal (mostly Hot Rodders and fabricators of somesort) and this is my take. With the push for over the top shiny paint show cars....who knows what is hiding underneath. Anybody can sand bondo.....but most people are not metal men. If a car has the original body and paint, then there are no suprises lurking underneath. Original unaltered bodys are a big deal for most of these guys. They are willing to pay for it was well......unlike MGE members. Now before youall pillar me once again.....how many times do you see a response like....too far away, gee I wish it was closer, shipping is killer. In other words that original body is not valued by MGE people enough to go get it.

Chip Foose's Hot Rod Lincoln...bare metal all welds showing....nothing hiding under bondo. One of George Barris' early hammered Ford coupes is making the show circuit in bare metal.....to highlight how good these guys were.

This trend has been around for a number of years in America. It is the opposite of England because the likelyhood of finding an old car in England that does not need any body and paint work is practically nil.

I'm not saying everyone should be a Foose or a Barris or a Boyd. What I'm saying is ordinary people can have exceptional cars if they are patient and then jump when the time comes.

Now Ben is a guy who does like those original body cars....he is seriously afflicted...I'm trying to balance that with some reality for him.....but the jury is still out.

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 2291949 by balloonfoot
Now Ben is a guy who does like those original body cars....he is seriously afflicted...I'm trying to balance that with some reality for him.....but the jury is still out.

Awww, Lloyd, I'm touched.....I didn't know you cared so much.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster