AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rocannon Avatar
Frank L
Oklahoma, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."

Replacing brake lines with the engine in place is a royal PAIN in the moon !

“From what we get, we can make a living. What we give; however, makes a life.”
― Arthur Ashe

“Do. Or Do Not. There is no Try."
― Yoda

TANSTAAFL !

P P
O, Ontario, Canada   can
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"

Especially the crossover one that goes behind the crossmember. Not so bad if "pretty" is not on the cards, but almost impossible if it is.

rocannon Avatar
Frank L
Oklahoma, USA   usa

Fortunately I'm swapping out the RB crossmember for a CB so access behind it will be good.

It's the line going from the MC, across the firewall, down past the starter and towards the rear that looks to be a might finicky.

― Arthur Ashe

― Yoda

TANSTAAFL !

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
P P
O, Ontario, Canada   can
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"

In reply to # 2284504 by rocannon Fortunately I'm swapping out the RB crossmember for a CB so access behind it will be good.

It's the line going from the MC, across the firewall, down past the starter and towards the rear that looks to be a might finicky.

Are you using the old lines as a template?

I stole an idea from the header guys and made a bunch of bends. I marked the spot where the bend started and ended in the bending tool. I then taped the bends to the car where they were required.

Doing this, you can measure between the end of one bend and the other, and recreate the path on your bench-top.

rocannon Avatar
Frank L
Oklahoma, USA   usa

Yes and no. I'm retrofitting the Dual Line Non-Servo brake system to my car. I have the original line from the servo MC to the rear I'll use as a template. Had to cut it in two to get it out.

The trick will be figuring out how to finagle the new line into place... cutting it into two parts won't work.winking smiley At the moment it looks like I'll have to disconnect the heater lines so I can lay the line down onto the shelf in front of the heater. Upside is I need to dump the coolant anyway to replace the water pump.

― Arthur Ashe

― Yoda

TANSTAAFL !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-08 06:33 PM by rocannon.

Jim K Avatar
James A. Krasnansky
Liberty, KY, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB GT "Chloe"
1971 MG MGB GT "Roscoe"
1972 MG MGB "Camilla"

Frank -
Are you using the kit, or off the shelf? I used the British made kit - the rear line you describe has a compression fitting for the 2 parts.

Maybe if you got an assistant you could fit it in as your partner feeds it to you.

Jim K is a grease-stained wretch

rocannon Avatar
Frank L
Oklahoma, USA   usa

James,
I'm using the brake line kit. I know about the compression union that joins the line from the MC to the line that goes to the rear. Had a heck of a time getting it apart.

The line from the MC (my car is LHD, btw) runs along the firewall, turns down alongside the clutch hydraulic line, then turns toward the rear. A three dimensional L&Z shape.

I've been looking and think that if I work from the rear towards the front I'll have the best luck.

Thanks,
Frank

― Arthur Ashe

― Yoda

TANSTAAFL !

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
ToffeeMark Avatar
Mark H
Peterborough, UK   gbr

You're making me nervous, I've got to fit a fuel tank and fuel lines and I think the hard brake lines need replacing as well.

I'm debating whether I need a professional to do this job now.

Jim K Avatar
James A. Krasnansky
Liberty, KY, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB GT "Chloe"
1971 MG MGB GT "Roscoe"
1972 MG MGB "Camilla"

Frank-
That's how I did it - rear to forward. My engine is out as this is more-or-less a total rebuild. Note: I didn't say restoration.

Misery loves company. winking smiley

Jim K is a grease-stained wretch

Peter Soderstrom
Australia, Australia   aus
1969 MG MGB

I am replacing all the lines but was not smart enough to keep the old ones as a template. I have lots of pics thanks to other members but no template where to bend. My care is a chrome bumper 1969 MGB mark 2, Australian built , open to ideas?..

Regards Peter

tommylg Avatar
tom greene
murfreesboro tn, USA   usa

The absolute, most frustrating job I did when redoing my GT. The clutch line was worse because if you get Angle a correct, Angle D changes. Both brake/clutch lines lie on many different planes and alot of patience is required. I rerouted the clutch line a bit to get it in.
Tommy

lskaboots Avatar
kim gibson
La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA   usa

No matter how carefully and perfectly the bends were made at the bench, on fitting, some have to be "unbent" which makes those nice straight runs wavy looking.
Totally agree...a royal PITA. Next restoration, the lines will be the FIRST things put back in.

PK Avatar
PK Silver Member
Pat Keenan
Watertown, NY, USA   usa

Agree with the PIA. I am replacing all the lines in my 77 rebuild. The toughest part was the offset around and through the cross member under the car. In comparison to other noted restoration pia's, the heater box was a breeze compared to this. That said, the key to success as everyone has heard time after time is to have a good plan for the job and take your time while working. All worth it in the end.

Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB

Definitely one of thoses winter task when there's nothing but hours of boredom.

There is that company that will provide pre-bent lines. Can't remember the name but they've been mentioned many times. If I remember the price has climbed considerably.

PaulP Avatar
Paul Peterson
Seattle, WA, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB

Clay - Classic Tube is the name of the place that sells a pre-bent kit of lines. I need to replace the brake line that goes accross the rear axle. I was hoping they'd sell just the one line, but was told they only sell these as a kit.

http://www.classictube.com/

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG