AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rocannon Avatar
Frank L
Oklahoma, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."

Lines from MC/H-block to rear axle are done. Started rear line at rear axle and went forward to union under middle of car. Used the old line as a template and installation was easy.

Then started front line at MC/H-block down to union with rear line. Fitting the line required installing/uninstalling the line many times for measuring, bending, checking fit, etc. I removed both water lines to heater, speedo cable, and throttle cable to make fitting the front line along the front of the heater and down the firewall and under the car easy.

The two lines on the rear axle and the two on the front crossmember will be much easier in comparison.

UPDATE:
Done. All brake lines and MC are in place. Next is bleeding the brakes. And I can say with certainty that routing the lines along/around the front crossmember is NOT much easier. winking smiley The upside is that I can now R&R the front crossmember blindfolded. thumbs up

Starting from the rear and moving towards the front is the way to go. By the time I got to the front of the car I could make measurements and bends with confidence. Said confidence was sorely tested by the front crossmember. drinking smiley

“From what we get, we can make a living. What we give; however, makes a life.”
― Arthur Ashe

“Do. Or Do Not. There is no Try."
― Yoda

TANSTAAFL !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-18 05:44 PM by rocannon.

Sprite Lou Avatar
Lou A.
Springfield, Oregon, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB GT "Higgins - RIP"
1973 MG MGB GT "Eliza - FIRST PLACE - MG2013"
1976 MG MGB "Daphne"

In reply to # 2295288 by PaulP Clay - Classic Tube is the name of the place that sells a pre-bent kit of lines. I need to replace the brake line that goes accross the rear axle. I was hoping they'd sell just the one line, but was told they only sell these as a kit.

http://www.classictube.com/

@Paul: Whoa! $350 bucks?!! That's pretty steep -- I think Gordon is offering a complete brake line kit for MGB right now for $99.95 (they're coiled up of course, so you need to bend 'em but they do have all the nut fittings on the ends). Pretty sure he has (as others do) just the 2 pieces for the rear axle.

'76 MGB RD MKIII "Daphne"
'73 MGB GT MKIII "Eliza" - First Place - MG2013
RIP Peter Cummins
RIP John D. Weimer
RIP Mick McGuire

"Bits-4-Brits" fuse block & relay kits --- X1 (for now)
VTO LeMans Wheels from Hap --- X1
"Black-Label Factory OD" --- X2
"Custom Side Cover" --- X2
"Hiltonized" SU HS4s --- X2
"Schlemmerized" Dizzy X1 (for now)
"MGCCARS" Alternator X2
"DBWood" custom, one-of-a-kind heater valve --- X2
"Ingramized" Bonnet & Hatch Struts --- X2
"DuBois-ed" SU Fuel Pump --- X3
"Peter-Built" Shocks --- X1
WAY More parts from Lord Roop than even HE remembers!

riley1489 Avatar
Bruce Hopgood
Great White North, -, Canada   can
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB

Installing these lines is a test of patience and character for sure. winking smiley I used 'cunifer' or copper nickle brake line material to replace my rusting steel original ones. This material is much easier to bend and bieng softer quite easy to adjust at the final fitment. If you go this route, I suggest taping the flares to protect them while fitting the line, they get easily damaged while manhandling to fit.

B

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
phatkaw Avatar
Andy Small
Napoleon, Ohio, USA   usa

Maybe it's a stupid question (it won't be my first) but doesn't Moss and/or VB sell pre-bent brake lines that are a direct replacement for those on our B's? I have to replace the line from the MC to the front/right wheel as there is a 'kink' in the line near the connection to the rubber brake line. I was just going to buy a replacement from Moss. Am I missing something? confused smiley

PaulP Avatar
Paul Peterson
Seattle, WA, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB

Andy - The only source I've found for pre-formed lines is Classic Tubes. Unfortunately, they only sell the full kit. The Moss lines are cut to length with flares already made, but you'll need to form them yourself. VBs are likely the same.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Simon Austin Avatar
Surrey, BC, Canada   can

Any pre-flared kit I've seen is as Paul describes. With the lengths of brake line involved, there'd be no way to properly package them for shipping if they were already bent. The longest one is from the coupler under the passenger side to the rear flex line. The front lines have too many bends in them to package.

I usually make my own lines including flares but that's just me. I modify the layout of the lines so can't go with the stock kit.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

rocannon Avatar
Frank L
Oklahoma, USA   usa

UPDATE 2:

Brakes are bled (don't get me started on THAT travail!!) Used MightyVac. It was ok, but next time will pressure bleed.
Now tracking down those little seeps at all the connections... PITA. If I did it over, I'd buy bulk line, fittings, and flaring tool. I'm not convinced that the "one flare fits all" is my best option. Those dang seeping joints...!

Bled the clutch... ughhhh! Done, but spent more time on that ONE bleeding activity than all the brake line combined.

― Arthur Ashe

― Yoda

TANSTAAFL !

ERO
Rich Osterhout
Toledo, Ohio, USA   usa

Would antone happend to have some pics of the line running behind the crossmember,Thanks,Rich

rocannon Avatar
Frank L
Oklahoma, USA   usa

Rich,
Start here

In reply to # 2351123 by ERO Would antone happend to have some pics of the line running behind the crossmember,Thanks,Rich

― Arthur Ashe

― Yoda

TANSTAAFL !

Bob L
Virginia, USA   usa

When I replaced the brake lines on an MG the originals literally came apart in pieces so I didn't have old ones to use as templates. What I did was get a roll of very heavy solder. It's easy to bend and will hold it's shape. I made templates out of lengths of solder. Then used those as a template to bend the brake lines - I was able to get pretty good basic shapes for each line. It was then fairly easy to fine tune the fit of each individual line on the car. It actually came out pretty nice. Although definitely not the kind of thing to try to do in a hurry.

Bob

Restoman Avatar
Dana R
amston, connecticut, USA   usa

Just finished replacing all the brake lines with the stainless tube from Classic Tube, but not pre-bent. It came in a coil and was not hard to form. Made sample lines from heavy copper wire, and used photos of the original lines for routing.
You would have to work hard to kink this stuff, it is great to work with. Also they sell the proper "British" male and female nuts in stainless.
This is a MGC with a lot more lines than a "B" and it only took a couple days work. The good part is that with using stainless lines or copper/nickel, with the same amount of work you get lines that will outlast the owner.

Attachments:
P4231375.JPG    58.4 KB
P4231375.JPG

P4231380.JPG    58.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P P
O, Ontario, Canada   can
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"

In reply to # 2306361 by rocannon
Said confidence was sorely tested by the front crossmember. drinking smiley

Told ya that would suck!

rocannon Avatar
Frank L
Oklahoma, USA   usa

Yes you did.

But as a consequence I am now quite good at R&Ring the front crossmember.drinking smiley

In reply to # 2351172 by NOHOME
In reply to # 2306361 by rocannon
Said confidence was sorely tested by the front crossmember. drinking smiley

Told ya that would suck!

― Arthur Ashe

― Yoda

TANSTAAFL !

ERO
Rich Osterhout
Toledo, Ohio, USA   usa

Does anyone have a good picture of the brake line running behind the "fromt cross member" Thanks,Rich

P P
O, Ontario, Canada   can
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"

In reply to # 2351377 by ERO Does anyone have a good picture of the brake line running behind the "fromt cross member" Thanks,Rich

Rich:

Have a look about 2/3 of the way down for brake line install pics.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3918791/1968-mg-mgb/

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG