MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Pressed Steel Fisher

Posted by dterhune 
dterhune Avatar
David Terhune
Michigan's Beautiful Sunset Coast, USA   usa

While fumbling around with the battery cover I noticed this tag on my GT... I do not remember my 74 having this tag..maybe it does.. but thought it was interesting..just wonder why it is applied in reverse? I was not able to find anything in the search function other than the fact there is no individual car information in the stamp, here is what I found on Pressed Steel Fisher "PSF"

(from Wikipedia
In 1965 Pressed Steel was acquired by the British Motor Corporation (BMC)[14][15] and BMC set about combining Pressed Steel with its existing body making subsidiary Fisher and Ludlow, acquired by BMC some twelve years earlier, thereby creating Pressed Steel-Fisher (PS-F).[16] At the time of the merger Pressed Steel was the largest independent manufacturer of car bodies and car body tooling in the world [1].

In the third quarter of 1966 BMC completed its takeover of Jaguar Cars[17][18] On 14 December 1966 BMC shareholders approved the change of its name to British Motor Holdings (BMH) and it took effect from that moment.[16][19]

Early in 1968 BMH merged with the Leyland Motor Corporation (LMC) to form the British Leyland Motor Corporation (BLMC),[20] By this time PS-F had become the world's largest independent car body and car body tool manufacturer, and supplied bodies and tools not only for the British motor industry but also for Volvo, Alfa Romeo and Hindustan Motors. Under BLMC the Pressed Steel-Fisher business became the Pressed Steel Fisher division.

In 1975 BLMC was nationalised and became British Leyland Limited.[21]

When BMW acquired Rover Group in 1994 they became owners of the Swindon pressing plant. Although BMW disposed of much of Rover Group's assets in 2000, they retained the Swindon pressings plant and set up a subsidiary, Swindon Pressings Limited (SPL), there in 2000. SPL now provides most of the body panels and body sub-assemblies for the Mini models produced at Plant Oxford in Cowley, at what was the Pressed steel site.[22]

David Terhune

My Blog http://mymgcars.blogspot.com/

SW Michigan, USA
1970 MGB-GT, 1974 MGB and 1957 MGA Coupe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 05:58AM by dterhune.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
PSF.JPG (57.7 KB) –
PSF.JPG

lil.red.roadster Avatar
Bernie Anderson
Marshfield, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom   gbr
1970 MG MGB MkII "The Beasty"

Hi I also have one of these (1970 Roadster) but it is not in reverse. I guess that's just a freak. Ihave never managed to make any progress finding information beyond where you got too. Odd that no-one seems to mention it in documentation (Claugsager etc)
Bernie

"discere mutari est"

Wiring Diagrams: http://www.advanceautowire.com/mgb.pdf
Paul Hunts very useful site: http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk
Manual for download: http://www.geomatique-liege.be/MGJP/DocumentsPDF/MGB_Workshop_Manual.pdf

1970 Roadster (First Reg July 10 1970). Unknown exhaust (Non-std) AFAIK rest is bog standard
Dave Braun Avatar
Minnesota, USA   usa
1952 MG TD "Tommy"
1970 MG MGB "Maggie"
1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Sammy"

Looks like someone put yours in upside down. Maybe a mistake, or maybe a line protest.

Here is a shot of ours before the repaint.

Member Services:
dbraun99 LLC provides complete bench services on SU Carburetors. We also provide advice, repairs and restorations of both systems and complete cars.

Attachments:
image.jpg (51.2 KB) –
image.jpg

Dave Braun Avatar
Minnesota, USA   usa
1952 MG TD "Tommy"
1970 MG MGB "Maggie"
1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Sammy"

Pressed Steel and Pressed Steel Fisher are mentioned heavily in MGB by David Knowles. The body shells were trucked over nearly complete and painted. The bonnets were indexed, removed, the shell was sent down the line, the driveline added and the car completed. Abingdon was a tiny place. No way could they have built the number of cars there unless the work flowed in substantially complete and only required simple final assembly.

Warmly,
Dave

Member Services:
dbraun99 LLC provides complete bench services on SU Carburetors. We also provide advice, repairs and restorations of both systems and complete cars.
riley1489 Avatar
Bruce Hopgood
Great White North, -, Canada   can
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB

Fisher Ludlow was a very busy place. All manner of bodies were fabricated & assembled at that Birmingham facility. This is a plate on my Riley one-point-five, once fabricated & painted then shipped to Longbridge for final assembly. A bit of trivia, (for those that care) early Riley assembled at Abingdon along with the works Riley rally cars.

Bruce
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
dterhune Avatar
David Terhune
Michigan's Beautiful Sunset Coast, USA   usa

In reply to # 2276758 by riley1489 Fisher Ludlow was a very busy place. All manner of bodies were fabricated & assembled at that Birmingham facility. This is a plate on my Riley one-point-five, once fabricated & painted then shipped to Longbridge for final assembly. A bit of trivia, (for those that care) early Riley assembled at Abingdon along with the works Riley rally cars.

Bruce

Bruce.. I thought interesting...thanks

David Terhune

My Blog http://mymgcars.blogspot.com/

SW Michigan, USA
1970 MGB-GT, 1974 MGB and 1957 MGA Coupe

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG