MGB & GT Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

Rivergate 5 Speed Conversion - Documented

Posted by Moonshine 
Moonshine Avatar
Bob Berfanger
New Melle, MO, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Beatrice"

Thought I would start a thread documenting my Rivergate 5 Speed conversion. What I'm working with is a 77 MGB and a 81 Datsun 280z 5 speed transmission. The engine has been pulled and is setting on one of the 4 car dollies.

Attachments:
IMAG0712.jpg    32.2 KB
IMAG0712.jpg

IMAG0714a.jpg    72.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Moonshine Avatar
Bob Berfanger
New Melle, MO, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Beatrice"

First order of business was to remove the back plate. At this point it’s a good time to inspect the rear seal surface. If need be you may want to install a Speedie-Sleeve.

Attachments:
IMAG0718.jpg    48.7 KB
IMAG0718.jpg

IMAG0720a.jpg    66.9 KB
Moonshine Avatar
Bob Berfanger
New Melle, MO, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Beatrice"

Next, install the new Pilot bushing (included in the kit). The new bushing is the one on the left. This was a good snug fit.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
IMAG0725.jpg    33.5 KB
IMAG0725.jpg

IMAG0734.jpg    47.7 KB
Moonshine Avatar
Bob Berfanger
New Melle, MO, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Beatrice"

Installation of the new back plate included in the Rivergate kit.

Attachments:
IMAG0737.jpg    30.5 KB
IMAG0737.jpg

29desoto Avatar
Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   usa
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller"
1979 MG MGB "Kermit"
1984 Chevrolet Corvette "The Green Weenie"
1994 Chevrolet S10 "Lil Red"

Robert, I really could have used this as a confidence builder a year ago! Let me know if you have any questions. It's really pretty easy. And the kit is one fine piece of work. Every single part on mine fit without any fiddling.

You're gonna love it! Seventy is the new 57!

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint - some kind of electronic ignition - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings - original exhaust - fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup - virtually no rust - right front wrecked and semi well repaired - just about right for me!

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
95% Done. V-6 is a treat, and the five speed is great.
More to do, but isn't there always?

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Moonshine Avatar
Bob Berfanger
New Melle, MO, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Beatrice"

Installation of the new Flywheel (include in the kit) and the original starter. You can send your flywheel in as a core or pay $100. My starter and flywheel were a little snug and the starter would not engage. Called Rivergate and they said they haven’t had any reports of that since they had updated their tooling. I opened up the holes on the starter and the back plate and was able to achieve a nice mesh.

Attachments:
IMAG0773.jpg    29.9 KB
IMAG0773.jpg

IMAG0765.jpg    32.1 KB
Moonshine Avatar
Bob Berfanger
New Melle, MO, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Beatrice"

Next, was the removal of the contact plate from the Pressure Plate. Since the Datsun tranny has a throw-out bearing, its no longer needed.

Well, that's all for now, I'll try to post some more tomorrow.

Attachments:
IMAG0746a.jpg    64.1 KB
IMAG0746a.jpg

IMAG0749a.jpg    62.2 KB
Moonshine Avatar
Bob Berfanger
New Melle, MO, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Beatrice"

In reply to # 2201952 by Moonshine Installation of the new back plate included in the Rivergate kit.

I forgot to mention that the back plate came with the rear seal installed.

Idasix Avatar
Dave - Lauretta Smailes
Washington State, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB ""Red Rider""

Robert thanks for posting the pictures. I converted to the Rivergate 5 speed last year. It was one of the best decisions I ever made on that car. The gear spacing seems perfect and having a 5th. gear is great. I would do it again anytime.

Dave

jfrankr Avatar
Jan Rische
Grayslake, Il, USA   usa
1966 MG MGB

OK now there aren't any dumb questions, so..... The Datsun Tranny has a throw out bearing so the contacty plate on the pressure plate isn't needed. I'm drawing a blank on the engineering with this.

29desoto Avatar
Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   usa
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller"
1979 MG MGB "Kermit"
1984 Chevrolet Corvette "The Green Weenie"
1994 Chevrolet S10 "Lil Red"

That's easy once you look at the thing. The MGB throwout bearing is a carbon faced block. If it met up with the fingers on the pressure plate, it probably wouldn't last ten seconds. It would be chewed to bits.

Put that nice, smooth facing on the fingers of the pressure plate, and it's carbon against smooth steel.

With the roller bearing, it turns instead of just pushing and staying still.

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint - some kind of electronic ignition - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings - original exhaust - fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup - virtually no rust - right front wrecked and semi well repaired - just about right for me!

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
95% Done. V-6 is a treat, and the five speed is great.
More to do, but isn't there always?

Moonshine Avatar
Bob Berfanger
New Melle, MO, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Beatrice"

Install the new clutch disc (supplied with the kit) and the modified pressure plate. The pilot tool was also supplied with the kit.

Attachments:
IMAG0776a.jpg    61 KB
IMAG0776a.jpg

IMAG0779a.jpg    66.6 KB
Moonshine Avatar
Bob Berfanger
New Melle, MO, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Beatrice"

The next 2 steps are preparing the Datsun transmission.
Install the new rear seal (supplied in the kit) on the Datsun transmission.
Remove, clean, and inspect the Throw-Out bearing. There are 2 springs on the fork. To remove the bearing, push the fork toward the opening. This will disengage the spring from the bearing carrier (right arrow). Slide the bearing and carrier off. Now just pull the fork forward to pop the spring (hidden under fork) off the post behind the fork (left arrow.
Lube the shaft and carrier and reinstall. Lube the fork pivot and reinstall. The fork boot is not shown in the graphic.

Attachments:
IMAG0752a.jpg    57.1 KB
IMAG0752a.jpg

Moonshine Avatar
Bob Berfanger
New Melle, MO, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Beatrice"

In order to get the shift lever to past through the center of the tunnel, some modification needs to be done to the shift lever and the flanges that hold it.
There are 2 flanges that hold the shift lever. The driver’s side flange needs to be ground down so that the modified shift lever has the required range of motion.
The shift lever will be modified after the motor and transmission are installed back in the B.

Attachments:
IMAG0762a.jpg    59.3 KB
IMAG0762a.jpg

IMAG0791a.jpg    47.5 KB
Moonshine Avatar
Bob Berfanger
New Melle, MO, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Beatrice"

Now were ready to bolt up the motor and transmission.

Attachments:
IMAG0792b.jpg    49 KB
IMAG0792b.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG