Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Inexpensive MG Memorabilia

Posted by mgbbrown 
mgbbrown Avatar
Tony and Sharon Ann Brown
Rougemont, North Carolina, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB

I have advocated recently that vintage MG key fobs and gear shift knobs are a useful and inexpensive way to begin collecting MG related items and memorabilia. Dealer flags; grill badges; signs; original posters; and certainly historic race or rally related items that feature the Octagon are in great demand these days; yet are often cost prohibitive. Mike Ellma-Brown has written a book on the subject and is perhaps the best known collector and the owner of the last MGA twin cam to be built. This late 1950's-to-mid 1960's cloissone key fob surfaced recently and is noteworthy for still being with it's original cellophane envelope and paper sales backing. Produced by Manhattan Windsor in Birmingham, England, the leather fob portion is tear-drop shaped and typical of those from that period. This style has persisted to present. Late 1960's leather backings were generally rectangular and are still found today. J. Fray of Birmingham was one of the well known suppliers of MG emblems for both pre-war and post-war models, as was the button maker J. R. Gaunt and Sons. Snap up one of those Jim Gordon enamel MGB grill badges while you can-they will be very collectable soon. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
Manhattan Windsor Key Fob Front.JPG (23.8 KB) –
Manhattan Windsor Key Fob Front.JPG

Mattan Windsor Key Fob Back.JPG (24.4 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
Manhattan Windsor Enamel badge Back.JPG (34.2 KB) –
balloonfoot Avatar
Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TEXAS, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB "MAX"
1985 Chevrolet Corvette "EASY 1ST"
1986 Chevrolet Corvette "Gas Mileage Special"
1989 Chevrolet Camaro ""I Rock""

I have a pair of Lucas paper "break down" coveralls, still in the plastic bag, that you kept in the boot for emergencys. What am I bid?

Wise guys would of course say that it was only right that Lucas make those cause if you had Lucas electrics....it would stand to reason that you would need them.

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt”.
- Abraham Lincoln

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."
rsvmgb1974 Avatar
Robert Vining
Capon Bridge, Capon Bridge, USA   usa
1960 MG MGA 1600
1974 MG MGB
1974 MG Midget ~ For Sale ! ~
1980 MG MGB Limited Edition (LE)

Interesting aspect of the hobby, and it made me run out to my MGB and snap a couple of pictures of my rather pedestrian fob.

When I bought my well used ($882.00) 1974 ebay special MGB, it came with one key in the ignition, the other I found under the passengers seat in a pile of rubble.

Having nothing to hold them together I remembered a fob from my old and sold MGB that I had in my tool box for about twenty years. Time had taken it's toll and the leather just crumbled at the grommet attachment point. I just punched a hole in the other end and pressed in the grommet as a repair. There is something stamped on the other side, forgot what it was.

No value here but the nostalgia value is intense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2012 05:11PM by rsvmgb1974.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Lloyd; You know I love the obscure and oft forgotten things-show us a picture! Besides-Moss made a fortune on MG factory bricks! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2012 05:23PM by mgbbrown.

Attachments:
MG Factory Brick.JPG (50.6 KB) –
MG Factory Brick.JPG

yonbear Avatar
Andy Mathers
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia   aus
1972 MG MGB MkII "Bee2 (B2)"

Me, I just bought the car. LOL.

However, my cap is another matter. When we were on holidays at Lennox Head two years ago, we decided we needed a cap each for the beach. We popped into the Big W at Ballina and bought a black one for me and a white one for the missus. Price $3.00 each.

Then I bought my MGB last November, when I got it home I discovered that the heavy duty car cover in the boot was falling apart and I was about to drop it in the bin when I noticed it had a cloth MG badge on it. So I saved the badge which now proudly adorns the black cap for wearing on appropriate occasions.

Cost of MG cap, $15,003.00.

Andy M grinning smiley
balloonfoot Avatar
Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TEXAS, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB "MAX"
1985 Chevrolet Corvette "EASY 1ST"
1986 Chevrolet Corvette "Gas Mileage Special"
1989 Chevrolet Camaro ""I Rock""

In reply to # 2193156 by mgbbrown Lloyd; You know I love the obscure and oft forgotten things-show us a picture! Besides-Moss made a fortune on MG factory bricks! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

can't, I'm at the pool....bought for 50p at Beaulieu in 1982....probably pretty rare now

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt”.
- Abraham Lincoln

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."
mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

The pain of retirement Lloyd. You know from my email that I am still recovering and not able to do much MGB restoration or wrenching-so I must be bored! I'm getting better at typing though as my hand-eye coordination is improving-hence the number of posts today. How about a Longines MG watch from London? It was a gift from a loving father of a professor at Duke. His dad presented him the watch when he sold his TF for an MGA. Dad worked in the automobile industry and purchased the watch on a business trip to London. He collected marque related watches. The MG Zippo was a Moss staple for several decades. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2012 07:40PM by mgbbrown.

Attachments:
MG Emblem Zippo Moss.JPG (27.6 KB) –
MG Emblem Zippo Moss.JPG

MG Emblem Longines.JPG (43 KB) –
OldBloke Avatar
Jim Legg
Napa, California, USA   usa
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1973 MG MGB "Tagalong"

In reply to # 2193219 by mgbbrown The pain of retirement Lloyd. You know from my email that I am still recovering and not able to do much MGB restoration or wrenching-so I must be bored! I'm getting better at typing though as my hand-eye coordination is improving-hence the number of posts today. How about a Longines MG watch from London? It was a gift from a loving father of a professor at Duke. His dad presented him the watch when he sold his TF for an MGA. Dad worked in the automobile industry and purchased the watch on a business trip to London. He collected marque related watches. The MG Zippo was a Moss staple for several decades. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Maybe our pal and resident artist George H. will again post some pics of his large collection of MG watches...!

"Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien
mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Awesome Robert! Torpedo key fobs were quite popular in the 1950's and the style had a comeback in the mid 1980's. A US company-perhaps Emblemagic made them. I had the sister one to this when I purchased my MGB in 1980. It was a wrap-around, snap style in which the leather enclosed your keys. I'll take a picture as I am able. This photo is from a friend of mine who was tired of his teardrop style leather fob obscuring the dual oil pressure and water temperature gauge on his MGA, so he purchased the same style fob as yours. Thanks for posting! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2012 08:01PM by mgbbrown.

Attachments:
MG Key Fob Torpedo.jpg (55.4 KB) –
MG Key Fob Torpedo.jpg

ozieagle Avatar
Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   aus
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"

My B came with one set of keys on a ring with an MG badge. After fitting keyless entry, the badge became somewhat redundant, so I clipped off the loop for holding it on the keyring, and epoxied it to the otherwise plain aluminium centre of my steering wheel. Much nicer there.

My club does repro items, and trophies. My Wooly won third prize, twice, for non marque cars.

Herb

Attachments:
steering wheel l;ogo.jpg (59.3 KB) –
steering wheel l;ogo.jpg

trophys.jpg (62.3 KB) –
mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Jim; Perhaps your friend George will see this and post some photos of his marque watches. The same professor sold the rest of his collection in HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS about twenty years ago which included several pre-war MG pocket watches.It was a collection of over three hundred watches! My guess is he did not know that this was a 23-jewel Longines as it was devoid of many maker's marks and sold it to me as wanting it to go to a good home more than for price. It is a middie gent's style which was popular at the time. The movement is in good working condition but the dial and tritium markers need cleaning. The initialing was commissioned by his father. God Bless! Tony Brown RN
mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Very nice on all accounts Herb! Post some photos of "Wooly" please! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
ozieagle Avatar
Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   aus
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"

Hi Tony,

Just click on the 1500 next to my avitar, for a couple of shots.

Herb
mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Wooley is a NICE Wolseley! say that ten times as fast as you can Herb! Thanks for the photos! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2012 11:06PM by mgbbrown.
Riff Raff Avatar
Al J
Maryland, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB

Keep the memorabilia coming!
Hmm, as a pipe smoker, it appears that I DO require an MGB Zippo case.
Riff Raff Avatar
Al J
Maryland, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB

I struck gold on my first search for an MGB zippo...........er not, the search continues.

purdysmg Avatar
John Harrison
Gjettum, oslo, Norway   nor
1978 MG MGB "Topless Go Go Girl"

Here is my original MG key fob for a 1975 it states ABINGDON-ON-THAMES on back in gold along with MADE IN ENGLAND. Also my plastic MG car plaques as sometimes come up on ebay but I have never seen them come in a set in a black 75 Jubilee box. Now if I can just get one of those 1975 Sicura Jubilee MG watches that pop up once and a while. Just good fun. I know some one here has a MG dealer stained glass table lamp.. need one of those also.

Attachments:
car plaques 75.jpg (29.4 KB) –
car plaques 75.jpg

abingdon key fob.jpg (18.6 KB) –
Chris Osterhus
Pittsburgh, USA   usa

This octagon keychain came with my car. I have no idea where it came from...other than the keys have been on there since new. Unfortunately, the octagon has come off again--the logo is made out of white metal, and easily bent. I also have an "LE" style keychain, which my mother bought as a replacement. But, to take the keys off the old one seems wrong somehow.

Second photo is the tin of BL touch-up paint that was with the car when I got it. When's the last time you saw one of those? Paint in it is long gone, but the tin occupies a small shelf in my office.

Attachments:
MGB keys.jpg (41.6 KB) –
MGB keys.jpg

MG touch up paint.jpg (22.2 KB) –
mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Cool Al! MGB promotional photos and dealer posters certainly represent something along these lines in keeping with things that will not break the bank. Vintage stick pins and lapel pins certainly abound, but the clasp and maker's markings are tell-tale signs of being older. Beswick made a marque ashtray for Les Leston, and of course period gear shift knobs and key fobs are out there. Magazine ads are an excellent way to begin, as is the MGB introductory issues of ROAD AND TRACK and CAR AND DRIVER. The opportunities are quite varied still! I'll keep things flowing as I can! Thanks for the interest! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Attachments:
BMC Key Fob.JPG (44.6 KB) –
BMC Key Fob.JPG

BMC Desk Calendar 1950's.JPG (38.7 KB) –
IMG_0012.JPG (26.3 KB) –
SCCA Lapel Pin Screw back.JPG (99.3 KB) –
MGB Launch Promotional Photograph.JPG (39.7 KB) –
Hollywood Motors MGB Advert.JPG (36.2 KB) –
mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Thanks Chris! I would love to nab a can of BMC Dark British Racing Green GN29 for my car! I'll have to dig up the key holder I used in the 1980's... God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG