Please Sign In or Register to Search

No more Shakey Shakey

Posted by 69BGT 
69BGT Avatar
JP Lacroix
Ontario, Canada   can
1969 MG MGB GT ""the Little Car""

Hi gang,
For a few years now I've been trying to get my wire wheel equipped 69 MGB GT to be able to cruise at highway speed without shaking itself to pieces. I completely rebuilt both front and rear suspensions and reshimmed and lubricated the steering rack. The only other thing to look at were the wire wheels.I had them balance multiple time by different tire shops locally..no luck. I swapped out the wheels which came with car with another set which I purchased from another member on ebay. They were a little better than the original set of wheels, however they still caused a fairly serious vibration in the car at aproximately 60 MPH. The vibration grew in intensity and frequency with additional speed beyond 60 MPH (100 KM per hr). I became convinced that I'd need to chuck the original OEM factory wire wheels in favor of a new set of Dayton wires complete with new splined hubs ($$$$$$). But before dropping all that cash I elected to spend around 75 bucks for Dynabeads. which I purchased here http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php. I knew it was a long shot, but some of the testimonials on the website sounded encouraging. Well I put a 5 ounces bag of these things inside each tire (inside innertube to be more accurate) and then refilled the tires up to normal pressures (30 psi is what I run) . Took it out onto the highway, and man what a difference!!! Cruised the car up to 85MPH before there was even a hint of vibration..then up to 95MPH (well in excess of local speed limts Mia culpa..) and the vibration was still far less than ever before. I can live with it like this with my 40 year old wire wheels. I saved at least a couple of thousand dollars I was convinced I was going to have to spend for new wheels/hubs. I have no stake in the Dynabeads company or Innovative balancing company. For me, these little ceramic beads worked! I'm a happy customer. Hope this information helps somebody else. Note these beads are a bit of a pain to get into the tires requiring much tapping with a screw driver on the valve stem and installation hose as they tend to get clogged up in the valve stem. However, with patience it was doable, and certainly worth the effort from my perspective. Safety fast!

dmarsingill Avatar
Donald Marsingill
Dacula, GA, USA   usa

Did they say to put 5 oz in each tire? In the Jeep world, we only put about 6-8 oz.(37" mud tires with beadlocks)
It is possible to put too much.

I'm glad you figured it out.

Donald

69BGT Avatar
JP Lacroix
Ontario, Canada   can
1969 MG MGB GT ""the Little Car""

no I made a judgement call based upon the tire size chart plus a fudge factor. but according to the FAQ, on the website adding too much weight is not an issue as the unrequired beads just redistribute themsselve around the inside of the tire.

FAQ AnswersIf I put in 2 oz, but the tire only needs 1 oz, what happens to the rest of the beads?

A: Only the beads required to counteract the imbalance will be used, the rest will distribute themselves evenly around the inside circumference of the tire. This is the beauty of the system. See the How It Works page. http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
pinkyponk Avatar
Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia, Canada   can

I was wondering if the beads were small enough to go inside an inner tube. Thanks for posting.

forestghost07 Avatar
Marco Sinai
Florida, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB GT "Viajero"
1999 Chevrolet Blazer "Works For Gas"

Hey JP thanks for this link! I too went thru months of frustration and expense w/ my 40 yr old wires, even bought a brand new one from Moss to no avail (every spoke was loose eye popping smiley) I even took my GT to Hendrix Wire Wheel in Greensboro NC - good results but he's over 1000 km away.

There's a 79 B in their customer photo gallery, that's encouraging thumbs up, I'm anxious to try this out.

~ Marco and Viajero ~

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Michael74MGB Avatar
Michael Austin
Odessa, TX, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB MkIII "Maggy"

Well, I don't have wire wheels, but I do have the Rostyles. Been trying to get a good balance for two years from shops that have lug-centric adapters. It's OK, but can be better. Been seriously thinking about junking these wheels and going with VTO's or something but thats a lot of $$$. But based on this thread I'm going to give the Dynabeads a try. Ordered enough for all 4 tires, plus their valve cores and fill bottle fro right at $50. I'll post up later with results....

74 MGB: APT VP11 cam, lifters, valve springs; 9:1; ported head; TT exhaust; vernier timing gear; wizard aluminum radiator; dizzy by Jeff S.; stock HIF4's; it goes on and on.....

qwerty Avatar
Bernie D
Burlington, Ontario, Canada   can
1973 MG MGB

Hey JP, for me this couldn't have come at a better time. I own a '73 with wire wheels and have the same problem -- near 6o mph it starts to shake. The guys at the tire balancing store said the wheels were old and needed replacing. I ordered new wire wheels from Moss back in early May. It's the last week of August, still nothing. So I"m definitely going to give this a try. Hope these little beads work for me like it did for you. I'll try the same procedure as you -- 5 oz per tire.
Thanks a lot, man!

pleblanc1206 Avatar
Pierre Leblanc
Saline, MI, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB GT "Strider"
2013 Scion FR-S

In reply to # 2154936 by qwerty Hey JP, for me this couldn't have come at a better time. I own a '73 with wire wheels and have the same problem -- near 6o mph it starts to shake. The guys at the tire balancing store said the wheels were old and needed replacing. I ordered new wire wheels from Moss back in early May. It's the last week of August, still nothing. So I"m definitely going to give this a try. Hope these little beads work for me like it did for you. I'll try the same procedure as you -- 5 oz per tire.
Thanks a lot, man!

Same here with my '74 GT. I took it to an alignment shop that can still balance wheels on the car. The left front was close and is now better, the right front is out-of-round, and the others (including the spare) have some run-out. The high-speed vibration comes and goes at 60+ but is better than before. I just ordered these beads, cores, etc. and will reports back after I install and testdrive.

This may just be a "band-aid" but the price is worth the try.

1974 MGB-GT: black-label overdrive, essentially stock engine but detoxed, Allison XR-700 ignition.

Bill Mabry
Kansas City, Missouri, USA   usa
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 "Mister Healey"
1967 MG MGB GT "Biscuit"
1974 MG MGB "Red"
1974 MG MGB GT

I installed them on my Healey, and I'm a little disappointed with the results. JP is right, they are a pain to get past the valve stems. As I recall, it took me about 2 hours to do 4 wheels.
The ride is better since, but I've noticed that if I hit a significant bump at highway speed, the wheels actually lose balance momentarily, then correct themselves. I assume the bump upsets the distribution of the beads.
Probably wouldn't order them again. Just my 2 cents.
Bill

Caruthers Avatar
Jim Cardamone
Baltimore MD, USA   usa

Wow, this is indeed timely as I have the 60 mph shudder also. I don't know if I should just order the kit now or wait and see the other's results. Don't forget to post 'em!

pleblanc1206 Avatar
Pierre Leblanc
Saline, MI, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB GT "Strider"
2013 Scion FR-S

I received my Dyna Beads order a few days ago (3 oz bag for each front tire and filtered valve cores). Then I inserted the beads into front tires over the next two nights - it's a bit of a PITA and takes about 1/2-hour each tire even if you're careful and using their applicator bottle and plastic tube. If you install the beads during tire mounting it goes much faster but the tire guy has to be careful not to get any of that tire-bead goop inside the tire (according to the instructions).

My first impressions are that these do make a difference and for me there was considerably less vibration at highway speeds (55 - 75 mph), but in my case a mild vibration occasionally comes and goes. But for the most part, my GT is now more pleasant to drive at highway speeds. I had recently gotten a spin balance of the front wheels (in situ): the left was pretty close, the right was actually out-of-round and couldn't be helped any further. This may be subjective, but I feel that the Dyna Beads produced an improvement over the machine balancing.

My modest investment of $37.96 included the Dyna Beads, filtered valve core, applicator kit, and valve core removal tool. If you have clear plastic tubing that fits tightly over the valve stem and a small funnel to pour the beads into the tube, you could skip the $3.70 applicator kit. Also, some of you may already have the removal tool ($3.99).

1974 MGB-GT: black-label overdrive, essentially stock engine but detoxed, Allison XR-700 ignition.

Michael74MGB Avatar
Michael Austin
Odessa, TX, USA   usa

Still waiting on UPS. For some reason, 9 freeking days for them to deliver from NY to Texas....angry smiley

74 MGB: APT VP11 cam, lifters, valve springs; 9:1; ported head; TT exhaust; vernier timing gear; wizard aluminum radiator; dizzy by Jeff S.; stock HIF4's; it goes on and on.....

rdmgb77 Avatar
Robert Davidson
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB

I left the rostyles several years ago due to the fact that 3 of the 4 were no longer true. No amount of work or balancing can offset that. My new set of wheels are really smooth and I have no trouble cruising at freeway speeds.

pleblanc1206 Avatar
Pierre Leblanc
Saline, MI, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB GT "Strider"
2013 Scion FR-S

In reply to # 2159431 by Michael74MGB Still waiting on UPS. For some reason, 9 freeking days for them to deliver from NY to Texas....angry smiley

Mine was ordered 8/26, shipped 8/27, and delivered 8/29. I expect nothing less for $10.27 S/H.
Have you checked UPS tracking?

Michael74MGB Avatar
Michael Austin
Odessa, TX, USA   usa

Yeah. It's "on schedule". 9 Days. UPS has been getting slower and slower delivering from the coasts to Texas. Not a big fan of them lately due to SSSSLLLOOOWWWWW delivery times and their habit of loosing or miss-delivering stuff. I hope my shipment is enjoying it's 4 day lay-over in Dallas this weekend (why? angry smiley ). Actually makes the Post Office look good.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG