Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement

Posted by MGB Legacy 
MGB Legacy Avatar
Bradley M
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB

I am going to be replacing the Brake Master Cylinder on my 76 MGB. I was looking at the haynes manual. Haynes says to drain the clutch Master and Slave as well as the Brake Master for the Brake Master Replacement. On a 76 B, aren't these two independent systems attached to opposite ends of the Vacuum Booster? I have searched the forums and google, and haven't found any complete information on this subject. The Clucth Master and Slave were just replaced a few months ago by the PO, so I don't want to have to mess with them if I don't have to. I am also replacing all other brake parts, such as wheel cylinders, pads, shoes, calipers, rotors, hoses, hardware, etc. at the same time. If anyone has done this and has advice, please chime in.

Brad

1976 MGB

The right tool is worth a thousand four letter words.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
darkleaf Avatar
Leif Jacobsen
Goleta, CA, USA   usa

You don't need to mess with the clutch hydraulics.
Steve Mcnary
USA   usa

On the vacuum boosted systems you don't have to remove the clutch hydraulics. If you are replacing only the brake master (not the booster) you don't have to do anything with the pedal box.

On comment though, you should inspect the brake pedal pivot and booster push rod and clevis pin for wear. If these are worn, then it's best to pull the whole pedal box out. In this case, you can remove the clutch pedal clevis pin and unbolt the clutch master from the box. You can then withdraw the entire pedal box and leave the clutch hydraulics unbroken.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
tomkatb Avatar
Larry Baygents
Dayton, Ohio, USA   usa
1963 MG MGB

Make sure the parking brake is 100% as well. Check that compensator if you have one. Brake cables are cheap.

I had a catastrophic brake failure last summer. It happens.

L.W.(Larry)Baygents
63B
77 Spit

MGB Legacy Avatar
Bradley M
1976 MG MGB

Thanks all for the good advice. I have E Brake adjustment on my list and have new rear brake adjusters in hand ready to go in. Wish me luck.

Brad

1976 MGB

Robert Milne
Guelph, Ontario, Canada   can

You will have to disconnect the clutch metal line fron the clutch master in order to move the pedal box. But for just the brake master then leave the pedal box alone.
RichPho Avatar
Joe P
Richmond, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB "M-Gizzle"

Easy job... If your bay is painted nicely, remember that brake fluid will eat some paint! Invest in a decent bleeder... Makes a world of difference.
MGB Legacy Avatar
Bradley M
1976 MG MGB

I know that Brake Fluid is deadly to paint. And unfortunately I just repainted the engine bay. What Bleeder Kit brand has worked well for everyone?

Brad

1976 MGB

chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

For brakes, I use a hose and bottle at each wheel in turn rather than a bleeder. Use care in pouring, have warm soapy water on hand to flush any spillage off the paint, and you'll be fine.

Member Services:
Quality new parts at 15% off of list. Can kozees at $2 each, black hoodies $25 both plus postage. Check out the Vendor Market page.
tomkatb Avatar
Larry Baygents
Dayton, Ohio, USA   usa
1963 MG MGB

The Motive power bleeder is a joy to use.

My wife bought it for me after one of the episodes.

L.W.(Larry)Baygents
63B
77 Spit

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG