MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

truing my wire wheels

Posted by 1972mgb0 
Rich L
Owings Mills, USA   usa

HELP!! Does anyone know where I can get my wire wheels trued in the metro Baltimore area?
Thanx for your help.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
j-blueridge Avatar
Jamie Bourland
C'ville VA, USA   usa
1968 MG MGB GT "Antichrist"

Maybe call motorcycle shops to get leads?
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

it is going to be expensive. as expensive in most cases as buying new wheels.

1973 Roadster. A nice 50-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed
MGB Tips and Tricks: www.mgrescue.com
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
DaSpyda Avatar
Don Alexander
Lakeland, FL, USA   usa

Maybe he means "balanced".

Like, with weights...

Don
1970 MGB
2000 MR2 Spyder
Rich L
Owings Mills, USA   usa

Wheels are balanced.Have tires with less than 4,000 miles. I get a vibration at 3500RPM when I'm on the hiway, reduces significantly at 4000rpm. I've owned the car since 1991 and the wires have never been trued.
Michael Philpott
San Diego, USA   usa

I have at least one wire wheel with loose spokes, it has been a gigantic PIA. Not quite sure what to do. I'm really getting tired of dealing with the wire wheel BS. I'm really inclined to convert to minilites. Just not sure if I want to convert the hubs/axles or get minilites with the knockoff hubs.
DaSpyda Avatar
Don Alexander
Lakeland, FL, USA   usa

In reply to # 2129453 by 1972mgb0 Wheels are balanced.Have tires with less than 4,000 miles. I get a vibration at 3500RPM when I'm on the hiway, reduces significantly at 4000rpm. I've owned the car since 1991 and the wires have never been trued.

It could be an issue with a tire and/or the previous balancing, anyway. Make sure your spokes are solid first, of course.

Find a place that balances the tires "on the car" and who shaves a little tread to obtain that balance. I had the same problem on another car and it was smooth as glass from 0-115 after the treatment.

Don
1970 MGB
2000 MR2 Spyder
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"

It has become a lost art. Having worked in a motorcycle shop for years, almost all of what came in had wire wheels. I re-laced an awful lot of them and each proved to be time consuming in getting them just right. With new spokes, it's not that difficult a job, but when you try to break loose nipples and spokes that haven't been disturbed in decades, you had better have a lot of spare spokes and nipples on hand. RAY
bpaquette Avatar
Bob Paquette
Grand Prairie, TX, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB

In reply to # 2129498 by DaSpyda
In reply to # 2129453 by 1972mgb0 Wheels are balanced.Have tires with less than 4,000 miles. I get a vibration at 3500RPM when I'm on the hiway, reduces significantly at 4000rpm. I've owned the car since 1991 and the wires have never been trued.

It could be an issue with a tire and/or the previous balancing, anyway. Make sure your spokes are solid first, of course.

Find a place that balances the tires "on the car" and who shaves a little tread to obtain that balance. I had the same problem on another car and it was smooth as glass from 0-115 after the treatment.

Your B goes 115 MPH. Really??

Bob
GTgeezer Avatar
Lynn Kirkpatrick
Indiana, USA   usa

Rich
Lift the wheels off of the ground (safely) and use something to hold a screwdriver or pointy thing securely next to the rim, where wheel weights go. rotate the wheel slowly and watch for side-to-side wobble and up and down hop.

I think the spec is no more than 1/16" for each direction, but I may be wrong. This will give you an idea how bad the RIMS are.
forestghost07 Avatar
Marco Sinai
Florida, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB GT "Viajero"
1980 MG MGB MkIV "Diva"
1999 Chevrolet Blazer "Works For Gas"

Hi Rich, may I suggest you get in touch with Allen Hendrix, Hendrix Wire Wheel, Greensboro NC. (on right in pic 1)

www.hendrixwirewheel.com

He's not terribly far from you, and he fixed my B's wire and innertube problems for good; I went out of my way after MG2012 for his services ... well worth the trip. 4 wheels trued, tires shaved, balanced, NO shimmies all the way to flat out now! He's the best.

~ Marco and Viajero ~

Attachments:
IMG_2272.JPG (47.2 KB) –
IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG (61.4 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2274.JPG (50.7 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tim Bradley
Menomonee Falls, WI, USA   usa

Faced the same situation a few years ago. Gave up and finally bought some Dayton 72 spoke tubeless wires, which solved all of my wheel issues, and has probably saved me a lot of time and frustration since. I can only get my B up to 108mph. Tim
DaSpyda Avatar
Don Alexander
Lakeland, FL, USA   usa

In reply to # 2129656 by bpaquette
In reply to # 2129498 by DaSpyda Find a place that balances the tires "on the car" and who shaves a little tread to obtain that balance. I had the same problemon another carand it was smooth as glass from 0-115 after the treatment.
In reply to # 2129656 by bpaquette
Your B goes 115 MPH. Really??

Bob

Nope, it was on my MR2 Spyder.

Don
1970 MGB
2000 MR2 Spyder

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 08:12AM by DaSpyda.
balloonfoot Avatar
Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TEXAS, USA   usa

In reply to # 2129453 by 1972mgb0 I've owned the car since 1991 and the wires have never been trued.

Truing the wire wheels is not a "routine" thing to do. Depending on what part of the country you live in, you may break most every spoke you try to adjust. Break more than a few and you are better off getting a new wheel.

Spin the wheel....if it is in true, it is not your problem.

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt”.
- Abraham Lincoln

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."
Gromit Avatar
Larry Heaps
Street, MD, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB "74 Moss"

Swap rear tires with front tires and see what happens.
triumph74tr6 Avatar
Chad Jester
Tulsa, OK, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB GT "MiGiBiGiT"

Most places do not have the correct tooling to balance wire wheels. They try to balance them with the internal cones, but that is relying on an untrue surface. I made a tool that I take to my local tire shop to use on their machine. It locates over the outside taper where the nut rides.

Chad in Tulsa
applebj8 Avatar
Jon Appleby
Lake Wylie, SC, USA   usa
1971 MG MGB

X2 on Hendrix Wire Wheels!

But, what you're most likely going to fine is the adjuster nuts on the spokes are seized after forty years.

I just had this in June after a failed wheel; 5 new wire wheels and a trip up to Greensboro later and I'm go to go. He has inner tubes made specifically for our wheels, and all the old school technology to true up wheels AND tires. Very competent operation and I couldn't be happier.
pinkyponk Avatar
Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia Canada, Canada   can

Where can I purchase spokes and nipples for my 14" MGB wheel? I need a long one and a short one.
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

look in Moss catalog.

1973 Roadster. A nice 50-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed
MGB Tips and Tricks: www.mgrescue.com
9146 Avatar
rick dentel
yardley, pa, USA   usa

Buy a cheap dial indicator and holding fixture from HF, spin each wheel. Don't guess it should not take more than 30/45 mins.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG