Posted by domer94 
Save up to 15% with Moss Motors' Buy More, Save More Sale
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

steve bendo
springfield, USA   usa

was wondering where folks have sourced these and how difficult they are to install. also , with the added clearance, what type of offset on the wheels are used to fill the space nicely? the B i have purchased is a good candidate for this look.

thanks!

1974 MGB - magenta -- custom
1989 Saab 900 turbo vert - red / tan int
2005 Jaguar S-TYPE racing green
2004 mazda6 wagon - family truckster (cool)

dtownsend Avatar
David Townsend
Rutland, Vermont, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB V8 Conversion "'B'east"

Dave Craddock @ Preform would be my one and only choice for Sebring wings and body kits. I had a set of the flares commonly sold through the MG aftermarket and will tell you there is simply no comparison to the Preform product. Dave's parts fit correctly (something I can't say for the other kit), look great, and are well made as well as competitively priced. Not much more I can add.

Member Services:
Limited edition illustrations of British sports and racing cars, restoration quality decals for British cars, and vintage racing graphics
Simon Austin Avatar
Surrey, BC, Canada   can

I used the flare kit available from the MGOC in the UK. The grey car in my profile has them installed.

I don't have the expertise required to make these work but my body man does. It was a major project to get them to fit properly and look right.

They've been on the car for about 8 years now and holding up well.

I've mentioned before on here that I'd suggest anyone contemplating this conversion not to use the complete front fender. Remove the flare and attach that to your steel fender. The rears are better as all you get are quarter panels.

It's a big project but worth it in the end.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Speedracer Avatar
Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"

We sell the guys with Sebring and similar flares the 15x7 0 offset wheels we have them in all the VTO styles, Classic 8, Retro $ and Lemans, we also got some 16" we can use on the MGB with flares fenders as well in Classic 8 silver. The 0 offset work real well, be cause it move the wheel outboard 2" when compared to the popular stock fender MGB application, 15x6 +24mm, The 15x7 O offset works perfect with the flares car, you get extra width and less back spacing to space out to the flares,and you can get some pretty sporty rubber with the size wheel. Alot of the 15x7 on the market will have alot of positieve offset with FWD cars in minds, these wheels wheels were designed for RWD applications.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
Performance Street/Race engines- modified heads, and DIY engine rebuilt kits
New alloy wheels options for MGBs, see vendors forum for details.
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,2657584
Be sure to check my engine rebuild kit thread in the Vendors forum for weekly tips. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,1828263

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-17 11:24 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
dtownsend Avatar
David Townsend

In reply to # 2070050 by Simon Austin I don't have the expertise required to make these work but my body man does. It was a major project to get them to fit properly and look right.

With respect to Simon, I had the same MGOC body kit and I agree with his assessment of the fit. Instead of taking the body shop route, I sold the MGOC kit and went with Dave Craddock's parts (as stated previously). Both the fronts and rears fit properly. In fact. The fronts bolted right up and, other than some expected cosmetic bodywork, nothing further was required. If these were going on a race car, there were good enough out of the box that I don't think I would even bothered with fixing a few of the minor blems.

Member Services:
Limited edition illustrations of British sports and racing cars, restoration quality decals for British cars, and vintage racing graphics
steve bendo
springfield, USA   usa

this is what i had in mind...

1974 MGB - magenta -- custom
1989 Saab 900 turbo vert - red / tan int
2005 Jaguar S-TYPE racing green
2004 mazda6 wagon - family truckster (cool)

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
PaulSchils-AC.jpg    69.5 KB
PaulSchils-AC.jpg

Be Coming Avatar
Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   usa
1957 MG MGA
1957 MG MGA Coupe
1958 MG Magnette
1959 MG MGA
1962 Morgan 4 Seater   → more

Steve.

For that amount of flare, either go with cut off Dodge Omni sheet metal welded to the original steel fenders or check out the Huffaker fender flares which bond to the original panels.

The Sebring kits and Preform kits are a lot more aggressive.

You would be looking at around a 215 series tire to fill the fender as shown in the image above. A 15 x 7 wheel with about 15mm offset would work well.

Simon Austin Avatar
Surrey, BC, Canada   can

I agree with Kelvin. Those aren't Sebring flares. Not big enough. They look good.

This is my car with the Sebring flares.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
2008 ABFM 003.jpg    82.4 KB
2008 ABFM 003.jpg

2008 ABFM 001.jpg    71.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Speedracer Avatar
Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"

David, when can see more of your car in pics, like a closer look at your splitter front air dam, it looks preety darn cool, and well executed.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
Performance Street/Race engines- modified heads, and DIY engine rebuilt kits
New alloy wheels options for MGBs, see vendors forum for details.
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,2657584
Be sure to check my engine rebuild kit thread in the Vendors forum for weekly tips. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,1828263

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
Be Coming Avatar
Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   usa
1957 MG MGA
1957 MG MGA Coupe
1958 MG Magnette
1959 MG MGA
1962 Morgan 4 Seater   → more

Nice Simon.

I don't think I've seen your car before.

I'm stuck with the Honeybourne Sebring flares, because I want the same character line on the rear fenders that your images show really well.

Kelvin.

kerbau53 Avatar
Geoff Morton
Cape Coral, Florida, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB V8 Conversion "The Wreck"

In reply to a post by Steve this is what I had in mind...

I think the Huffaker style flares are very good looking on a roadster. I'd like to see how they look on a GT too.

dtownsend Avatar
David Townsend

In reply to # 2070364 by Speedracer David, when can see more of your car in pics, like a closer look at your splitter front air dam, it looks preety darn cool, and well executed.

Here you go. The valance started off as a typical Sebring style valance which I sectioned and 9" in the middle (so it would match the width of the preform wings), then filled in all of the stock openings, re-glassed everything, then cut new openings as close as I could get to what the original LeMans cars had. The "horns" for the brake openings were bent from flat stock then riveted on (similar to the originals). The ducts on this car feed cooling for the front brakes. The oil cooler frame was another part I noticed in shots of the early race cars and is also riveted on as per original.

The splitter profile is about the same as the curve of the front end and does not extend any farther than the front of the bonnet. It's attached to a set of brackets that bolt to the frame rails. Once I put the quick release pins in the front adjusters, it will be about a 5-minute affair to remove it if I ever want to trailer the car. The splitter tin work was made from flat stock and pounded out on a shot bag and a bench vise. The tin work does a very nice job of stiffening up the corners.

I also included a shot of the car from a few months ago before it was all in primer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-17 07:27 PM by dtownsend.

Member Services:

Attachments:
splitter_front.jpg    40.4 KB
splitter_front.jpg

splitter_3_4_finished.jpg    39.5 KB
MGB_front_low.jpg    22.8 KB
MGB_almost_ready.jpg    35.7 KB
Mike Wickham
Canmore, AB, Canada   can

Steve,
Let me know what you find out on these minor flares. I really like the look...where did the picture come from?

Cheers,

Mike

kerbau53 Avatar
Geoff Morton
Cape Coral, Florida, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB V8 Conversion "The Wreck"
Simon Austin Avatar
Surrey, BC, Canada   can

Thanks Kelvin. I don't post many photos of it so doesn't get a lot of exposure.

I like the look of the body line through the rear flare as well. Gives it a finished look.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG