MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Peco Header ?

Posted by neely 
neely Avatar
Gary Neely
Heber Springs, Arkansas, USA   usa

What is the difference in a Peco Header and a Peco Big Bore Header. Also is there a paint that will stay on them. TIA for any input!
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Ron Coons
vineland, Canada   can

Hi: Gary Just reading Brit-Tec catalogue and i think when it refures to Peco big bore header it just means the exhaust sytem below the the actual header, pipes, muffler, and so forth. I had purchased the Peco header for mine,#s on header C006, 459-045 .

Ron
Ron Coons
vineland, Canada   can

Gary it also comes when shipped with red paint on it and i believe you have to wait and burn this paint off before re-painting.

Ron
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Ron Coons
vineland, Canada   can

Gary it also comes in a stainless steel package

Ron
Mike B Avatar
Michael Baron
Edmonton, Canada   can
1958 Triumph TR3A
1964 Plymouth Sport Fury "'Furious George'"
1972 MG MGB GT "'Killa B'"
2001 Kia Sportage

The peco header (non-stainless) comes painted red, the paint burns off with about 20 to 30 minutes of normal driving, it smokes and stinks alot while doing this. there are a few spots where the paint dosn't compleatly burn off, so just take a wire bush to it while it's warm. The metal underneath isn't stainless and will show surface rust over time, so I recomend you paint it with a high heat header paint, the choice of colour is yours, I think red or white are the most popular colours, although mines silver.
jgbowman Avatar
Greg B
Greeneville Tn, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB

The only place any red paint is left on mine is the muffler.

Greg
'73 B Mallard Green
18GH with Brittek 270 cam, Balanced
SU HS6
Peco header and exhaust
Eurospec dizzy, Lucas Sport Coil
O/D Black label
Kumho Solus 195/60-14 on Miniators
http://safetyfast.multiply.com/photos/album/4

Ryan Reis Avatar
Beatrice, NE, USA   usa
1968 MG MGB

Those systems cost enough that I think I'd go the extra mile and have it ceramic coated before installing it. Seems to make more sense than waiting for the paint to burn off and then taking the header off to clean up and paint. Ceramic coating looks great and really reduces the heat from the header. Stainless is nice too, but doesn't have any insulating qualities. Check out www.techlinecoatings.com, I'm going to try using their product for a diy job on my stock manifold, but they do list applicators that could do it for you.

Ryan
Steve S Avatar
Lost in the California mountains, USA   usa
1925 Ford Model T
1939 Ford V8
1949 MG TC
1953 MG Y-Type Saloon
1958 MG MGA   → more

I've always been concerned that insulating the header will increase head temperatures by not allowing heat to escape. Someone did a test with insulating wrap on a header and found temperatures in the head increased dramatically. Not sure about ceramic coating though.

neely Avatar
Gary Neely
Heber Springs, Arkansas, USA   usa

Just got my moss catalogue. The peco header went from 209.95 to 259.95. Can you believe that!!!
Ron Coons
vineland, Canada   can

Gary, Brit-tec shows $ 215.95 for selling Price.

Ron
NitroRustlerDriver Avatar
Andrew Bird
Bend, Oregon, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB GT "Giget"

I have the Peco exhaust from the bottom of header back. It's pretty old and all the original orange (I think it is more orange then red) paint is still on it. Granted, it is pretty faded and old looking, but it's not burnt off by any means.

Also, Duplicolor makes a spray paint that has ceramic in it made for painting engines and exhausts and stuff. I plan on painting mine with this. There is also a color that seems to match the original paint almost exactly (don't know the name).

Andrew

Post Edited (02-20-05 10:11)

MG stickers and t-shirts - Buy here!

Andrew Bird

Moggy59 Avatar
Paul Eggleston
Cross Lanes, WV, USA   usa

Gary,

I guess Moss is going through the same troubles Chris is having. I
think everyone is raising prices due to the dollar value right now. I
guess times are hard, hell I saw two buzzards fighting over a fanbelt
in the road the other day.....LOL

1972 MGB 1976 MGB ‹(•¿•)›

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG