AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bawest47232 Avatar
bawest47232 bruce west
houston, tx, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Maggie"
Okay, I took the rear end apart. I have one thrust washer, but the other is gone. Can I replace these with a copper shim or steel shim instead of the fiber parts? Wouldn't a metal washer last longer?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wasper Avatar
Wasper John St.
CT., USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
1977 MG MGB
Hi,

We just had a big tech session on this yesterday. I asked the same thing and was told that they are meant to wear on the washer.. but they should last a long time. We opened up one rear end that the fiber washers were hardly worn on... probably due to the diligence of the owner keeping up with maintenance.

bawest47232 Avatar
bawest47232 bruce west
houston, tx, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Maggie"
When I took mine apart, I have one that is .036" thick and the other one is gone.

How thick are the new ones?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, Delaware, USA   USA
I have been building B V-8 reaes & fixing the B thrust washer in the 4 cyl. Bs for 30 years & I have made/used stainless steel thrush washers. Brass would be real good & it was used in other M.G.s & I wish I could find out witch one used them were I could buy them for it takes time to make the S.S. washers. Oh, my 3.07 C rear has 300,000 miles on it now with the S.S. washer & no clunk at all. I broke an axel last year & I pulled the center section out to push out the broken axel stub that was in the spyder gear & I looked at the thrust washer & it looked like the day I put it in.

Jim Gevay Avatar
Circle Pines, MN, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
Bruce, I just did mine last week and measured the washers. The new copper were between .036-.037 and the new fibre were between .033-.034.

After reading some of the later posts, I decided to remove part of my post about gears wearing with steel washers.

Early 1974 MGB with OD, SU HIF's, 72 spoke chrome WW's, Schlemmer distributor, DuBois fuel pump, Limey's relays, Gerry's column kit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-16 06:13 AM by Jim Gevay.

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
The only time these washers see real stress is when one wheel is spinning while the other wheel is at rest. Trying to get a car unstuck from ice or mud will cause these parts to wear out very quickly. A car that isn't exposed to these conditions should see the thrust washers last forever. The only work or maintenance that I have done to my '67B's banjo axle is to change the oil on a regular basis. All of the seals and bearings are original and there is no play in it at all. RAY

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
I drive my V-8 on the hard side, auto cross, dragrace, light hopping & I pull trailers & other M.G.s behind my M.G.. I have broken some rear axels, but the rear is very tough other than the cardboard thrust washers! The more power you put on the rear the faster you will spit out the thrust washers. I am sure the reason the fiber washer was used was a cost saving. As I said there is no wear problem with the stainless steel thrust washers for I have cked. them in my rear.

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
You can use mild steel for the washers.Dana and most other rear axles do. Like Glenn says,will last for 300,000 miles. Most of the factory steel washers have holes or dimples in them for oiling both sides of the washers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-15 07:07 PM by 260mgb.

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
Hey Wasper welcome back!
It was a pleasure meeting you Saturday...

I'll be back sometime, keep me posted!

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Limey Avatar
Limey Eric Marshall
Pentwater, Michigan, USA   USA
I would be a little careful about using steel or S/S washers. No, the washers may not wear - you could be wearing the thrust surface on the gears instead! Brass would be ideal, or a scintered (sp?) material that absorbs oil.

Actually, I find replacing the fiber washers to be a very rewarding job - it is a little tricky, but not hard, to do and the results/$ are amazing!

Eric Marshall
Bits4Brits

bawest47232 Avatar
bawest47232 bruce west
houston, tx, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Maggie"
I'm going to have to go with the standard anyway. I can't find anything else around here that works.

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
I doubt mild steel or Stainless steel will wear the hardened side gears. Ford,Dana,Toyota and others have no problems and last much longer. MG is the only one I've ever seen with fiber ones. Look under thust washers in Mcmaster Car,Fastenal or Graingers. You might find something that will work. I wonder if the Banjo bronze ones are the same size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-16 05:31 PM by 260mgb.

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Well I got on the phone today & called some of the rear axle parts suppliers & no one can supply the brass thrust washers, so I made a phone call & I am having them made!!! Will take 3-4 weeks & I will have 50 sets to sell for less than 1/2 what I was getting for the S/S washers. Keep posted to your MGE buy sell & trade & in 3-4 weeks I will list the brass washers with the price.

ecetaruk Avatar
ecetaruk Ted Cetaruk
Littleton, CO, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
This episode of An MG is Born might be informative (at least entertaining...):

Ted

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
Quote: The only time these washers see real stress is when one wheel is spinning while the other wheel is at rest.

Given that my car was used for many years in ice and snow conditions, that would explain why my washers had pretty much vanished. Since the car doesn't see those conditions now, hopefully the replacements will last a long time!

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster