AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bankerdanny Avatar
Daniel Palmer
Chicagoland, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB GT "Dudley"
1977 Honda MC Gold Wing

Changed the oil and filter and swapped my winter weight 10-40 for rest of the year 20-50.

installed one of the two replacement door panels (driver's side) I have, plus replaced the strap style door pull with the arm rest type. It's nice to finally have a place for my left arm when the window is closed.

The lines for the PCV system that run to the carbs were so loose that I'm surprised they didn't just fall off on their own. So I added a hose clamp to each side.

I started to install the Ignitor EI unit I bought a while back, but it doesn't seem to be the right one. So I reinstalled the points and set the gap.

I'm not sure if it's the freshly set points or vacuum leaks sealed up by the clamps, but the car is running much much smoother, and I didn't think it was bad before.

It's running so well I don't think I am going to bother to install the EI and Flamethrower, so off to eBay they will go.

Endeavor to Persevere

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

A36
Zachary O
Washington, DC, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB MkIV "The MG"
1986 Ford Ranger Pickup "The Truck"

After 20 years of sitting and a few years refurbing, finally got my B running and pulled her out of the garage [turns out a broken wire in the distributor was the culprit]. Got as far as the driveway when I realized clutch doesnt disengage o.O This week will be spent learning about slave and master cylinders, the whole clutch shebang, and under the car experimenting.

pinkyponk Avatar
Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia, Canada   can

In reply to # 2015844 by A36 After 20 years of sitting and a few years refurbing, finally got my B running and pulled her out of the garage [turns out a broken wire in the distributor was the culprit]. Got as far as the driveway when I realized clutch doesnt disengage o.O This week will be spent learning about slave and master cylinders, the whole clutch shebang, and under the car experimenting.

You might want to have a look at the braking system while you're in there. Much more important.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
pleblanc1206 Avatar
Pierre Leblanc
Saline, MI, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB GT "Strider"
2013 Scion FR-S

Took mine out for a drive on Saturday afternoon. On the way home the engine started missing and power was down significantly. On Sunday afternoon I found the reason: compression readings of 127-140-140-50! For more details see my post http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?1,2015470

1974 MGB-GT: black-label overdrive, essentially stock engine but detoxed, Allison XR-700 ignition.

Deveylaw Avatar
Michael D
Albany, NY, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB MkIV "Sir Basil"

In reply to # 2015409 by vinnymeyer It's a beautiful day here today, so the B and I went for a nice long drive with the top down, stopped for hot dogs at a cool little hot dog stand in Saratoga, then took the back roads to Glens Falls then home. A little more work with the shop vac and the carpet steamer, did the seats and the carpets in back today.

sad smiley Speedometer still isn't working - thought I had it fixed yesterday. Guess I'm ordering a new cable from Moss on Monday

It might be the angle drive coming off the Transmission. More spendy than the speedo cable, but less work to install. And get rid of one of the little drippings on the drive.

BTW, got Sir Basil out of storage on Sat, drove the back roads from Copake to Albany, stopping in Chatham for lunch. Then a second long ride throught the hills. smileys with beer. Then, the corned beef!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-19 07:46 AM by Deveylaw.

Jeff Grant
Central, MA, USA   usa
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Project Not Yet In Progress..."
1980 MG MGB Limited Edition (LE) "Daily Drivable"

Drove my B to my new job for the first time this spring. All went well except for a little hickup right near the end. I'll start another thread now about that.

Link for anyone who wants to have a look...

Below links are for my 80 B LE with factory 1800 and include pictures.
Blackstone Labs Oil Report #2 on 80 B LE (8/2011)
My MTX-L Wideband O2 Installation (8/2011)
M!ata Seat Install (5/2011)
Rear wheel cylinders, brake line bending, brake master cylinder replacement, pressure bleeding (9/2010)
1975 No-Cat Stainless Exhaust Installed (8/2010)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-19 08:56 AM by 1980owner.

RaysB Avatar
Raymond Stafford
Middleboro, Massachusetts, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB MkIV "Victoria"
1979 MG MGB

It's almost ready for the road. If you look at my avatar and then the pictures you will see what's been going on in my shop. You can also see I've put any more work on the engine bay off till next winter, but still did enough to be more careful. The new clutch feels good, and with the new tank no more fumes!

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
DSCN0604.JPG    38.8 KB
DSCN0604.JPG

DSCN0614.JPG    39.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
kcunefare Avatar
Ken Cunefare
Atlanta, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB

Replaced ZSU with twin HS4's on Peco exhaust header and system. Lit off on the second crank with a sweet sounding idle.

Replaced rack gaiters (last ones only lasted about two years, and were goo when removed).

80RB, Tahiti Blue, de-smogged, PECO exhaust with Magnaflow resonator, LC-1 wideband O2 sensor, twin HS4's, gas struts on bonnet and boot, headlight relays, SS voltage stabilizer, modern turn-signal relay, mini-lite knockoffs, polyurethane bushings front and rear, lowered 1", Raceland windblocker,Saturn alternator conversion

iamyeehaw Avatar
John Herres
Grenada, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB GT ""Emma""

Greetings! New guy here...

Not today, but had to take my front tires off to try to find the grinding sound. Could be the bearings, but darned if I can figure out how to get the grease cup off. If one were to read my first journal entry, my efforts to date are listed, though not complete nor chronological. There are times I just want to hot smiley

NNN
Norman Nalepa
Florida, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB "Chick Mobile"

Let's see. I replaced the plug and wires. Then i installed a new temp gauge that doesnt work. Then the fuel line decided to leak. Then I quit and am drinking beer.

Jeff Grant
Central, MA, USA   usa
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Project Not Yet In Progress..."
1980 MG MGB Limited Edition (LE) "Daily Drivable"
Bryan73 Avatar
Bryan G
Virginia, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB "Nametaken"

79 miles thumbs upthumbs up

without a problem smiling smiley

daved Avatar
Dave Davies
Toronto, Canada   can
1972 MG MGB "Mgb"

Got the insurance reinstated. It was off for the winter but the temperature is in shirtsleeve territory already.
It is active as of midnight tonight. I may go for a midnight ride. smiling smiley

ourmg Avatar
George Heissenberger
Victor, New York, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB MkIII "OUR MG- The Old Girl"
2006 Mini Cooper "Greta's Mini"
2014 BMW MINI Countryman "Little Red"

Fooled around four hours Sunday and two hours tonight trying to get my headlights/taillights to work. ARRGH!

"OUR MG" Glacier White 1973 MGB, owned since 1983. Factory hardtop. Member MG Car Club Western New York Centre
"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

iamyeehaw Avatar
John Herres
Grenada, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB GT ""Emma""

I would suggest to keep in mind the connectors. I found that problem when my brake lights would not work.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG