AutoShrine Sponsor

ourmg Avatar
ourmg Silver Member George Heissenberger
Victor, New York, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Parts"
1973 MG MGB MkIII "OUR MG- The Old Girl"
2006 Mini Cooper "Greta's Mini"
2014 BMW MINI Countryman "Maxi"
They salted the roads today due to our first snowfall. So we put the MGB and Dart away for the season.

"OUR MG" Glacier White 1973 MGB, owned since 1983. Factory hardtop. Member MG Car Club Western New York Centre
"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
C799E714-9A3C-46EB-ACD2-1A6A928EE58F.jpeg    38.6 KB
C799E714-9A3C-46EB-ACD2-1A6A928EE58F.jpeg

Gokart Avatar
Gokart Rob Illingworth
Palmerston North, Manawatu, New Zealand   NZL
I put a little Amp (pictured) in the car.

By little it is 176mm x 147mm x 43mm or 6 7/8 x 5 3/4 x 1 11/16 inches.

A while back I put in some Mazda MX5 (Miata) seats in the BGT which have speakers in the head rest area. Wanting to utilise the speakers I have been on the hunt for a small blue-tooth Amp.

This little Amp has FM radio, slots for USB, MMC, and SD card, as well as the blue-tooth and has RCA input as well for other accessories. I think I will be mostly using the radio or blue-tooth as the USB reader just plays the songs in order as saved on the USB, one can not select a particulate track or artist other than by hitting the next button on the remote or Amp.

It'll run on mains power as well with the AC to DC 12V lead supplied. Once I got a plug for it for use on NZ power outlets I bench tested it.

It loaded about 19 FM stations it could scan and find (can store 30) in about a minute. Hooked up to my phone blue-tooth in seconds and put some good sound through a couple of 2 way car speakers I had handy.

As well as getting the plug I got a power input socket for hooking the Amp to the car as that was not supplied, some speaker wire and connectors, and RCA style plug for the FM aerial from the local electrical hobby geek zone, Jaycar.

The unit came with a FM aerial which was sufficient out of the car at 6" long wire but not in the car. The socket for the FM aerial was the same as an RCA socket so I got just the socket with clamp screw wire attachment. I attached some speaker wire to the socket, placed it under the carpet and mats to the rear of the car and it seems to work fine.

I screwed the unit to the side of the center radio console on the passenger side. For now I hooked the power into the green wire for the non existent rear window demister as that was handy. This means the sounds only work with the ign on. I may change this in time to a purple wire, but I don't think I'll be spending a lot of time in the car without the motor running.

The sound from the headrest speakers is good. I haven't tried it on the open road yet at highway speed, but I am sure it will be fine with the speakers being near ones head rather than in the door or behind the seats.

I'm thinking one of these would be good in the garage with car speakers in the ceiling panels. cool smiley

Cheers Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-11 02:32 PM by Gokart.

Attachments:
Lepy.jpg    42.7 KB
Lepy.jpg

thirdgenbird Casey F
*, Iowa, USA   USA
I put mine in it’s new winter home.

1980 LE, chrome bumpers, lowered, Cobra classic rs seats, Moss Supercharger, APT supercharger cam, ARP studs, Advanced Distributors 25D, TT header and exhaust

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
5E3C9E98-899F-45EA-9E3C-649EC16642A4.jpeg    43.2 KB
5E3C9E98-899F-45EA-9E3C-649EC16642A4.jpeg

Cocoa, florida, USA   USA
I went to pull it out of the garage and I noticed that the fuel pump,turn indicators and brake lights weren't working. The day before I tried to tidy up some of the loose wires under the dash with some tie-straps but I didn't think that I dissconnected anything. Finally I wiggled some wires on the passenger side under the dash and things started working however the brake lights kept blowing the fuse and was very dimm . I tightened up the ground strap on the left engine mount by crimping it together with a pair of vise-grips and now all seems to be working as it should. Morale of the story,leave well enough alone and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Greg 74 MGB.

eks3703 E K Starzinger
Marietta, Ga, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Chimera"
1974 MG MGB "The Mirage"
1974 MG MGB GT
Put Dave Braun rebuilt carbs on the GT that I bought off of Mark Cross.

It wasn't today, but took the GT out on the track at Road Atlanta during the ARRC for a few laps with a older friend of mine who raced MGs and Corvairs in the late 60s and 70s. He had a big ole grin on his face the whole time (and so did I).

Erich

Chronic Iguana Avatar
Port Charlotte, FL, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Today, my MG and I removed the bullet mirror from the US driver's side door, filled and painted the holes as well as the obligatory door crack the mirror most probably caused. Also tackled the car's only real rust problem area at the bottom of that door. Getting to the bullet mirror bolts involved removing the entire window assembly - not a fun job. Used Bondo's squeeze tube "Plastic Metal" for the repairs. This was preventative medicine, a few patches designed to keep the cancer and the crack from spreading until the primed and sanded door goes off to the paint shop. New fender mirrors (to replace the utterly useless bullets) arrived today. Will finally be able to see what's back there when I go to change lanes.

Attachments:
bondo.JPG    19.6 KB
bondo.JPG

crack.jpg    27.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
spray.JPG    36.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Ron1947 Ron Gittings
Ludlow, Shropshire, UK   GBR
Hi, the crack in your door (commonly called the crack of doom over here) wasn't caused by your door mirror. Have you ever noticed that GTs don't get 'em? This is due to the rigid nature of the windscreen frame and the roof. They are normally caused by one of two things:
Closing the door by pulling on the quarterlight or using the screen frame as a lever to get yourself out of the car. This causes the screen frame to flex away from the quarterlight which in turn allows the door to flex causing the cracks. I've got the same problem with my Roadster, an early pull handle, but have managed to get hold of two replacements while the originals are repaired. Pull handle doors are as rare as rocking horse poo over here!.

Chronic Iguana Avatar
Port Charlotte, FL, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Thanks, didn't know that. Guilty as charged. Will mend my ways. But shhhh ... don't tell my wife. Convinced her to let me replace the bullets with fender mirrors to save the door from fracturing and falling off. Need to invent a similar excuse to do the chrome bumper conversion.

J Baz Avatar
J Baz Silver Member Jerard Basmagy
Middletown, New Jersey, USA   USA
In reply to # 3627321 by Chronic Iguana Thanks, didn't know that. Guilty as charged. Will mend my ways. But shhhh ... don't tell my wife. Convinced her to let me replace the bullets with fender mirrors to save the door from fracturing and falling off. Need to invent a similar excuse to do the chrome bumper conversion.

But Honey, chromed steel is much stronger than rubber, don't you want me to have the most protection available in case of an accident.winking smiley

jb

Too soon we get old, too late we get smart!

steve78b Avatar
steve78b Gold Member Stephen Brockwell
Elgin, OK, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Lilith"
Shortened the accel pedal by 2 inches. Made a difference in driving.

I had a right knee replacement last year and when I got out the MG I limp for a while.

Now my leg sits straighter and seems less tense. (It was a short 5 mile drive though) .

On to other work on the car.

Steve B

Love my MG. Driving it more now thanks to everyone at MGEXPERIENCE !!

bug88 Avatar
bug88 Silver Member Chas T
south central, IN, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
DROVE IT............for the first time in 32 YEARS!.....The awakening was finished yesterday and I drove it home!...Its mechanically sound now.....so on to body and cosmetic stuff

Attachments:
418AA221-1BC0-4097-9CC3-22D85A24955F.jpg    84 KB
418AA221-1BC0-4097-9CC3-22D85A24955F.jpg

Eagleswing13 Gary Norman
LUCASVILLE, Ohio, USA   USA
Been working on it for a while now going back and forth on ideas but decided to bite the bullet and give it a start. The grille was in pretty bad shape so after a little reshaping and paint modifications its starting to look note like a grille again. I know it was never meant to be black but rechroming just isn't an option for me at the moment. Let me know what you think...

Attachments:
1510702321894992837369.jpg    39.2 KB
1510702321894992837369.jpg

ReggieB Avatar
ReggieB Gold Member Reg Beckett
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB "GGB"
Removed steering rack and replaced the shaft seal,rubber bellows,and tie rods.I have to wait for some help from my son-in-law tomorrow as I can't for the life of me line the shaft back up in to the universal joint from under the car. I tried and tried much grinding of teeth and plumber talk but alas no joy.

Attachments:
20171114_220025.jpg    22.7 KB
20171114_220025.jpg

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
Reggie. I have a set of alignment points that I can lend. They attach to the top of the rack shaft and the bottom of the steering column shaft to assist with adjusting the placement of the rack. There may have been some shims under the bolts of the rack. It is very important that these are in the correct place and so the center of the two shafts align perfectly.

Bruce E. Cunha

ReggieB Avatar
ReggieB Gold Member Reg Beckett
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB "GGB"
Thanks Bruce I have a set of alignment tools. Spent some of my mad money at Moss a few months ago when I ordered all the other pieces. I assume that one removes the ujoint completely then aligns the points of the tool by shimming the rack. Once aligned then remove rack again and re install ujoint with the shims?
Lord knows I have soaked the whole under carriage with gear oil all summer so I hope this rebuild will stop all that.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster