AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

barrybarnes Avatar
barrybarnes Silver Member Barry Barnes
Reno, Nevada, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "ZoooomB"
I know this is an unreasonable suggestion... But how about moving to another state? You could get pretty much any of those plus a lot more registered in Nevada. Good luck on coming up with something.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jakdedert Avatar
jakdedert J Dedert
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
Slow going on the Zenith carb. Cleaned up the damper and float chambers; replaced the diaphragm, float valve...O-rings on the needle and in the idle air regulator...gaskets on each. Adjusted float.

Three problems: Choke assembly will NOT come off. One screw is seized (blind hole, so no way to lube). It turns so hard I feared it would break off in the carb body so I just tightened it back. Also my kit didn't have the correct air cleaner gasket. Have to make one. Need a throttle quadrant nut and washer. I'll size the one on the other end of the pivot.

I'm gonna put it together with the choke as-is. Not much choice...or should I pull the water jacket? Is there anything I can clean/renew in there? The car was running very rich, but hopefully I've addressed that--unless the choke is the problem.

Ultimately, I'll be in the market for an SU conversion, but I was hoping to get some miles on while the season lasts. At the least, I could use a less-borked Zenith. This one has a lot of stripped screw heads, so I know some DPO has been in there. There's lots more I could be doing if I could just get smogged and driving. Got lots of rubber to replace, lenses, interior tweaks, wheels stripped/painted, engine room detailed etc, horns adjusted, dimmer switch replaced. I'm sure it never ends, and I'm having fun, but I'd rather be having mobile fun.

The car starts and runs well; or did, before I stripped the carb--used a lot of gas, smelled of fuel. Couldn't be good for the rings, washing all that extra fuel through--not to mention the oil (bearings).

jak

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
Busy Saturday...

My niece is still visiting so we had a "car" day. First stop was down by the Ohio River to the cars & coffee at Fuel coffee shop. Mostly modern iron today but a bug eye and a TR6 joined the MGBGT. There were 3 Caterham 7s. We took "Sherlock the wonder dog" along all day and he was a hit.

There was one real young kid, maybe 5 wandering around on his own. He loved the GT and the dog and asked a bunch of questions. He then took us to see "his" car. A 2014 vette. He pointed to the passenger seat and said, "I sit here. When the police come my daddy says, "Duck."" - No car seat - It was hilarious.

We then stopped by my "local" cars and coffee hang out. There was a 32 roadster and 3 guys from my club were still there. We only hung out for a few minutes. We then spent some time driving around some local back roads headed home. Stopped at the grovery store for supplies then made up a side dish for our club picnic today.

After assembling my Chinese Chicken salad we headed cross town to a members house for the picnic. DIdn't get too many photos for some reason but we had 3 GTs, TR3, a midget, an XKE, AN MGA beautifully being restored with no body on it (yet) and a beautiful old Daimler. It was a great day today to drive classic cars!

Weather was awesome and the BBQ was great. Spent most of a lazy afternoon talking cars while Sherlock the wonder dog spent most of his time chasing sticks, balls and cats whith interludes in the creek. HE ws in dog heaven. We loaded up and headed home around 5 PM where for the first time in 4 days Sherlock passed out exhausted...

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
2017-08-12 09.30.03.jpg    73.5 KB
2017-08-12 09.30.03.jpg

2017-08-12 13.56.50.jpg    73 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
2017-08-12 15.32.10.jpg    85.7 KB
2017-08-12 15.32.19.jpg    70.3 KB
dickstag Avatar
dickstag Silver Member Richard Stagnone
Holbrook, MA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Unknown MGB"
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB "Mellow Yellow"
1974 MG MGB MkII "Ms Violet"
I could but then I would be violating one of my rules; I have to be able to jump in the ocean within 30 mins from where I live.

Plus I must not like to move since I have lived on the same street since 1963. In 1984, I moved across the street but I owned nothing at the time so there wasn't much to move.

But I sure do like to visit Vegas and I think Tesla is a really cool company.

I am leaning toward MGBT74 but MGBE74 is still in the running.

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
Unfortunately, the water choke is a prime suspect for running rich. What screw will not come out? One of the three flat head screws or the main bolt?

Bruce E. Cunha

jakdedert Avatar
jakdedert J Dedert
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
In reply to # 3572066 by Bruce Cunha Unfortunately, the water choke is a prime suspect for running rich. What screw will not come out? One of the three flat head screws or the main bolt?

Couldn't find a clear picture of it--either in the shots I took, or the Haynes manual. I believe you refer to the three flatheads that hold the water jacket [21] to the choke unit. I was trying to separate the entire casting [20] from the main carb body. Do I need to? It appears there are three screws, one flathead and two Philips, which hold it on. One of the two Philips screws is seized. The three flatheads that hold the actual water jacket [21] to the choke assembly appear to be easily removable. In fact, they're not even tight.

I don't think that will give me access to the Vacuum kick piston [25]. Do I need it? I took the cover off and it appears to operate (ie I push it down and it slowly rises back). Also, the diagram doesn't show the assembly on the 'back' side of the choke, particularly the device which is operated by [16].

jak

Attachments:
IMG_0913.JPG    39.7 KB
IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0913a.jpg    14.8 KB
ProfGriff Phil Griffin
Charlottetown, PEI, Canada   CAN
1972 MG MGB GT "Tangerine"
As promised, here's a few pics of the stereo install in my 72 GT. My Kenwood deck was 1/2" too long to fit, so I made a painted plywood panel to fit on the face of the console to bring it out. It also makes a very sturdy mount for the deck. I mounted the courtesy light to it too. The kick panel buildouts are plywood and fiberglass with 6-1/2" JBL component speakers, and the sub box in the spare tire well is 1/2" ply with 2x2" braces. It is 1.75 cu. ft sealed, which the correct volume for my old JBL GTi sub.The 1F capacitor and NVX class D amp are in a small compartment ahead of the sub box with a hinged lid. It sounds pretty good if I say so myself.

Cheers

Phil

Attachments:
IMG_0303.JPG    43.2 KB
IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG    56.8 KB
IMG_0304.JPG    63.9 KB
IMG_0307.JPG    50.8 KB
Ray in PA Avatar
Ray in PA Raymond Franks
Drums, PA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "The Golden Chariot"
1992 Jeep Cherokee "Silver Fox"
2004 Subaru Outback "Subie"
In reply to # 3571877 by dickstag Against the rules. Can have no alpha after numeric, must begin with at least two alpha. But maybe MGBT74 could work.

Thank You for the suggestion.

MYMG74

PA DOT also offers vanity plates, even in the Antique classification. They even still had available MY73MG, which I wanted. But, because a Classic or Antique plate is lifetime, with no yearly renewal, the MG would have to be retitled, or so I've been led to believe. They don't need any more of my money.......

dickstag Avatar
Holbrook, MA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
I learned another lesson the hard way today. My experience is dated.

I drained the oil yesterday, letting it sit open for a couple of hours. I then installed my new magnetic drain plug.

Back in the day I don't believe anti-drainback features in oil filters. So the old advice for removing oil filters; drive a screwdriver through the filter and turn it is no longer applicable. It is actually very poor advice. The oil leaked out and onto the frame then turned to a trickle which fell into my bucket.

I went to Harbor Freight and picked up two tools:
https://m.harborfreight.com/universal-3-jaw-adjustable-oil-filter-wrench-63281.html

This one only takes the filter off. I used it and an extension pipe on my ratchet to get the filter loosened. But I will returning it since it is only good for removing the filter. The PO really torqued the filter on.

I used this to snug up the filter.
https://m.harborfreight.com/end-cap-oil-filter-wrenches-4-pc-69894.html

I installed a Purolator PL20195 oil filter.

SuperKav Rory K
Hertfordshire, Watford, UK   GBR
1972 MG MGB GT "Hubble"
Had to fit a new/used tail light to pass my upcoming MOT. The threads in the current light are stripped so the lens won't stay put. Foams on the replacement we're dry and warped so I cut 2 new gaskets out of 2mm for the inner and 4mm for the outer. They fit super snug and no water is getting in there now.

Attachments:
IMG_4526.JPG    59.2 KB
IMG_4526.JPG

IMG_4527.JPG    101.3 KB
IMG_4528.JPG    64.5 KB
dickstag Avatar
Holbrook, MA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
In MA, Antique plates limit use of the car.

An “antique motor car” is any motor vehicle over twenty-five years old maintained solely for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest. This includes test drives to prepare for such functions and transportation to and from repair facilities, and not used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods over any way.

Ray in PA Avatar
Ray in PA Raymond Franks
Drums, PA, USA   USA
“It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique,
classic or vintage registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to
participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional
transportation and similar uses are defined as no more than one day a week.

Rather vague, from the PADot website. I have a 'Classic' tag on my '92 Cherokee, and it faces the same restriction as far as use. And my insurance limits my use even further.

The way the restriction used to be worded was that you could use an Antique or Classic licensed vehicle in your normal routine, but no more than once a week. Once again, my insurance is the limiting factor, State Farm really doesn't want me to drive at all.....

dickstag Avatar
Holbrook, MA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Yes, insurance. Folks have told me I should insure with Hagerty. I added my MG to my current policy for $500 per year. This includes Collision and Glass. In the winter when it is garaged I can scale the coverage back and save a get $$

Ray in PA Avatar
Ray in PA Raymond Franks
Drums, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3572320 by dickstag Yes, insurance. Folks have told me I should insure with Hagerty. I added my MG to my current policy for $500 per year. This includes Collision and Glass. In the winter when it is garaged I can scale the coverage back and save a get $$

Our two 'normal' cars, and my '92 Cherokee, are insured by State Farm. My cousin is my agent, and he gave me a quote similar to the price you're paying, for my '73 B.. I went to Hagerty, and was amazed at the coverage, and the cost.
Give 'em a call....

oldredsel Avatar
oldredsel Silver Member Rick Crosby
South Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA   USA
1959 Edsel Villager "OLD Red EDSEL"
1969 MG MGB GT "Emma"
1980 MG MGB "Holey Roller"
2003 Chevrolet S10 "The S10"    & more
In reply to # 3572320 by dickstag Yes, insurance. Folks have told me I should insure with Hagerty. I added my MG to my current policy for $500 per year. This includes Collision and Glass. In the winter when it is garaged I can scale the coverage back and save a get $$

Hey Dick,

I'm also here in MA and purchase Hagarty through my local independent insurance agent. I recently received my renewal invoice for my 1969 MGBGT and 1959 Edsel Villager. . . both vehicles for $220!thumbs up (I do opt for their roadside coverage, even though I also have AAA, because it's flatbed service for an additional $60, bringing my total for both vehicles to $280 a year.)

Cheers,

Rick

The journey is the destination.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster