AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RyanBurman Ryan Burman
Findlay, Ohio, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1983 GMC K20 "The Big Smurf"
1984 Chevrolet C10 "The Beast"
Replaced the starter with a good used starter. As I suspected there was short in the solenoid. Luckily no damage to the harness. They I installed the air cleaners that were not on at all when I bought the car. Took it down the road and washed it as it got a little dirty getting trailered home. Took it on its longest jaunt its probably had in 15 years or more. About 4 miles total. Plans for a brake overhaul and a tune up/oil change would help a lot. Front end had some shakes above 45 so going to look into the wheel bearings and tire balance as I noticed there are no weights steering feels very good though. So glad the overdrive works everything works really except the radio and the gas gauge. Can't wait to work on it some more. Tomorrow is my out of state vin inspection and get it titled in my name, registered, and insured.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
hsisodia Avatar
hsisodia Silver Member Hersh Sisodia
East Lansing, MI, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB MkII "Esmeralda"
2005 Mini Cooper
Nice job TC! I'd like to hear the sound of that exhaust too as i notice a larger than normal exit diameter.

In reply to # 3513210 by 33EJB
In reply to # 3513166 by Grahamhaber
In reply to # 3513032 by sherwayne Just got my blue ox towing hitch kit. Bought it from a friend. Will use it to tow a small fiberglass boat. I just need to do some minor modifications in order for my towing system to work fine.

Which hitch did you start with? I have thought about getting a hitch so I could use the B for minor hauling instead of the van.

I had mine made to my specs by a metal fab shop nearby. I've used it for years - the MGB makes a surprisingly good tow vehicle (within reason, of course).

Cheers!
Hersh

33EJB Avatar
33EJB Tim C
LS, Eastern Ontario, Canada   CAN
1969 MG MGB
In reply to # 3513905 by hsisodia Nice job TC! I'd like to hear the sound of that exhaust too as i notice a larger than normal exit diameter.
[/quote]

Thanks!

The exhaust is a 2" stainless pipe. I had it custom bent up at a muffler shop owned by an acquaintance of mine. It was originally a straight 2" pipe from the 2-into-1 collector at the front all the way back to a small "Falcon" brand SS muffler. It's really a "muffler" in name only - you can look in one end and see straight out the other end, very little muffling going on at all. Pretty loud and pretty obnoxious, truth be told, especially between gearshifts and when I would back off the throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear @ about 4000 rpm - crackle pop bang !. My neighbours and others actually said they loved the sound - proper sports car noise. I have good neighbours.

Trouble was, it was very loud on the highway at any kind of speed. There was an annoying resonance right at about 60 - 70 mph, a real droning sound that got irritating on longer trips. So I recently had a small stainless resonator added just ahead of the rear axle. It's only slightly bigger diameter than the pipe and also a straight-through design (no restriction at all) but made a big difference in the sound. Now very mellow, still pretty loud but much nicer, not so "hard-edged". Much, much better on the highway (earplugs now optional instead of required!) I like it.

The only downside? Pop crackle bang! is now almost gone. That's a shame.

rawfish Avatar
rawfish Mark Miller
Carolina Beach, NC, USA   USA
My wife and I did a 180 mile round trip to Myrtle Beach for something to do in our MGB. Had a great time !

Mark M

billgknapp Avatar
billgknapp Silver Member Bill Knapp
Rochester, Michigan, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Nigel"
Jumped in the car and drove to Subway. Any chance I get to hit the road in the B, I take it.

slilley Simon Lilley
Slough, Berkshire, UK   GBR
1975 MG MGB GT Jubilee "Hugh"
I got my BGT Jubilee back last Wednesday (10 May) from Roberts MG Services in Old Windsor. They have renewed the seal between the gearbox and the engine which was starting to leak. They also renewed the gearbox seal, replaced the clutch with a new one, and gave the engine bay a clean whilst the engine was out.

Engine bay now looks much cleaner. It is not concourse by any stretch but a lot cleaner than it was.

Some new bonnet insulation has been ordered from the MGOC which should arrive early next week, so hope to get that on soon as well.

Simon

Attachments:
P1060514.JPG    70.7 KB
P1060514.JPG

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
N/A

---
GEO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 06:36 PM by GMB3.

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
drove it to work, only thing that is running right now! Topped off the shocks and didn't realize they were that low again....road great over the long, and bumpy James River Bridge.

Try and snap a picture on way home if traffic isn't crazy.

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

turner16 Mike Turner
Ajax, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB MkI "OMG"
Did my first night ride and passed the 80 MPH barrier and enjoyed a nice Cuban cigar on the trip.

Attachments:
80 MPH.JPG    48.3 KB
80 MPH.JPG

1987FXRP Avatar
1987FXRP Silver Member Jim Graves
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB "Jesse"
Buffed and polished my steering wheel. Does anyone know if this is a stock wheel for a 1976 MGB? It is 14" in diameter.

Attachments:
IMG_0559.JPG    48.1 KB
IMG_0559.JPG

course2kid Jeffrey Johnson
Fountain Valley, CA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Lucy (Lucifer)"
I'm not 100% sure, but my folks had a '76 B and as I recall, it looked like that one. Also, the Moss catalog shows one like that for '73 - '76.

Lockdude Avatar
Lockdude Andrew Taylor
Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
My wife always wanted a chrome alternator, so today she got what she wanted. She doesn't care that the paint is falling off the car...she don't care that the seats are ripped to shreds...SHE WANTS A CHROME ALTERNATOR!!!...Uh oh! Now she wants a chrome oil filter.

Always go topless!

Attachments:
IMG_20170519_172413756_HDR.jpg    44.9 KB
IMG_20170519_172413756_HDR.jpg

keephopealive Avatar
keephopealive Rich V
Rock Island, Illinois, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
Cleaned and ready to disassemble to clean valves and guides.

My introduction: http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?71,3492087

Attachments:
20170517_192105.jpg    42 KB
20170517_192105.jpg

slilley Simon Lilley
Slough, Berkshire, UK   GBR
1975 MG MGB GT Jubilee "Hugh"
It doesnt look a standard wheel. There was one similar fitted to MGBs with slots like that but the spokes were more horizontal. It was used between 1970 and 1973 and was 15 inches.

Simon

Soling2003 Avatar
Soling2003 Gary M
Pahoa, HI, USA   USA
Amazing what a sawzall can do! After the engine was removed, I could cut it up the car into manageable pieces. The doors and all the fenders are off, got everything right in front of the firewall cut up, and cut all the way across just behind the seats. Now I can at least move the rear end around as it is pretty well balanced. Tomorrow I can finish the job and off to the dump.

The dump is free here, but it would cost at least $200 to take the car to a metal recycler.

Gary

Attachments:
cut up pile.jpg    69.1 KB
cut up pile.jpg

cut up.jpg    56.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster