Please Sign In or Register to Search

What did you do to your MGB today?

Posted by Stretch GT 
steve knoll
milton ny, USA   usa
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 MG MGB GT
1967 MG MGB GT "Old Girl"

Just finished putting in new thrust washers. Painted the diff cover and drums MG RED. Watched the video on u-tube 20 times to get it right. Putting the gears back in was a pain the the a--. Now I need to bleed the brakes and clutch and wait for clean roads. Thinking of putting in a fabric top on the GT.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Joe V
Madison, Alabama, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB "Siddle IV"
2010 Porsche Boxster "Flitzer"

Well, the plan was to take off the right rear wheel to start prepping it for painting. The first lug nut I tried to remove broke off the wheel stud (picture attached). I got the others off and the wheel, brake screws and drum and then removed the disc hub. I was able to drive the wheel stud out of the disc so now I have ordered two (I figure a spare will not hurt) new ones. After cleaning up the wheel and masking it off along came my next challenge. I sprayed the Moss silver paint (Rostyle) and realized it was too cold for the paint to properly set up and dry. Can says 70-90F, my unheated garage is in the 50's. Sometimes I get ahead of myself. Oh well, now I can clean up the wheel and wait for warmer times and the new wheel stud. At least I had the car out driving today and it was feeling pretty good. Timing is almost right but probably needs about 1-2 more degrees advance.

Attachments:
IMAG0296.jpg (24.6 KB) –
IMAG0296.jpg

dickstag Avatar
Richard Stagnone
Holbrook, MA, USA   usa
1966 MG MGB "Unknown MGB"
1973 MG MGB "Mellow Yellow"

Yesterday was rear brake disassembly and assessment. Today was the front brakes. But once I got in there I went a bit farther. Pulled the king pin/swivel off then broke down the disc and wire wheel spline. Tie rod ends also while I have it apart. Got onto Moss site and ordered new rotors, bushings, bearings, etc as well as rear brake shoes.

It was in low 40s with sun shining for good chunk of the day so a good day to work outside.

Also started to do reading and watch videos about the SU carb adjusting.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
2mgmidgets Avatar
brandon taylor
mapleton, or, USA   usa
1946 Desoto Custom
1964 MG MGB
1976 MG Midget 1500
1977 MG Midget 1500 "The Spartscar"

today went to Portland to meet with a fellow forum member and picked up a set of doors, fenders, deck lid, and a great steel dash, also on its way used set of bumpers, alternator, various other smalls, and a front valance. I have enough bits to really get a good chunk of the project 63/64 b complete again. next step removing passenger door, seats, dash, passenger fender and the engine tranny to really get in and work on the rest of the body shell repairs.

Mg People are Good People
thanks
Gary
and Ryan appreciate the help
twjmstewart Avatar
Thomas Stewart
Plymouth, MA, USA   usa

Yesterday was a good day for me. Was able to warm up the garage sufficiently for comfortable working. Continued the disassembly of the front end of the "B". Got the bumper, lights, grill, horns, and hood latch off. Posting a few pics. Not much to see, but know how everyone likes the visuals.smiling bouncing smiley

Tom Stewart

Attachments:
Bumper removed 1.jpg (34.2 KB) –
Bumper removed 1.jpg

Grill & Lights removed 2.jpg (35.8 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
Removed hood latch completes the day 2.jpg (43 KB) –
mdubash Avatar
Manek Dubash
Lewes, East Sussex, United Kingdom   gbr
1968 MG MGB "Odysseus"

Replaced original fuse box with eight-fuse, blade-style fusebox. Still have to work out how to fuse some unfused items, eg fuel pump, now I have more fusebox capacity, as it were.

Also dismantled and lubricated the heater motor, which is running quieter and seems to be faster than before. It might even provide heat now. Not holding my breath though...

- An MGB is never finished. And all those replacement part deliveries give your postman something to do...
- If duct tape doesn't fix it - you haven't used enough duct tape
SpridgetNut Avatar
Chuck C
Granite Falls, Washington, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Green Bee" ~ For Sale ! ~

grinning smiley In preparation for the painting in a few weeks, I de-striped my Rubber Bumper 77 with the gold MGB Stripe that I cannot see ever needing to be there in the first place! It won't be back!! I found out that the previous paint-job was not done well. I also found rocker rust on both sides that will need to be rectified before the painting starts. In the next week I will be removing all the stuff that needs to be masked, painting the trunk...uhh (boot). Ordered some shiny baubles (badging) to go on when the paint has cured. BRG (Dark Hunter Green) is the only color for me! Stay tuned for before and after pics and then I will tackle the interior then drive it daily again!!
2mgmidgets Avatar
brandon taylor
mapleton, or, USA   usa
1946 Desoto Custom
1964 MG MGB
1976 MG Midget 1500
1977 MG Midget 1500 "The Spartscar"

today I removed the front valance and bumper, removed the carbs, and heat shield, took off the valve cover to be quite surprised as to how clean it is. removed a few gauges, stared blankly as to how to remove the seats. well I should say how to approach getting to the bolts that hold on the seats. so much to do.......
lskaboots Avatar
kim gibson
La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA   usa

Tried to get some more of the dash gauges put back in this afternoon. Some of the dash lites (red-white wire) bulb holders on my new harness don't work with my original
gauges. Good thing I saved the old harness and could snip off the non-fitters and replace. But progress is slow on my back in the footwell, trying to aim the flashlite
and get my pudgy fingers where they don't belong. Managed to not drip any solder onto myself. You pay big $$$ for a harness, you expect ALL the ends to be correct.
Adrian Millward
Calgary, Canada   can

Kim get yourself on of those LED lights that go around your head and a pair of safety glasses with built in lights both aim the light where you a looking and helped make my upside down jobs in the dark a lot brighter
mdubash Avatar
Manek Dubash
1968 MG MGB "Odysseus"

In reply to # 2304311 by mdubash Replaced original fuse box with eight-fuse, blade-style fusebox. Still have to work out how to fuse some unfused items, eg fuel pump, now I have more fusebox capacity, as it were.

Also dismantled and lubricated the heater motor, which is running quieter and seems to be faster than before. It might even provide heat now. Not holding my breath though...

And at last the light dawns. The reason the car now won't start is because I separated the two sets of brown wires that connected at the original fuse box but now, due to boneheadedness, do not. Brain finally in gear...

- An MGB is never finished. And all those replacement part deliveries give your postman something to do...
harvey benson
wales, colwyn bay, United Kingdom   gbr
1979 MG MGB GT "Maude"

hi not used to forums but at least manage to fit new steering lock ,plugs,leads,filters,oil,points and found that noise from rear was only hub rubbing back plates ,thank goodness ,thought it was diff.will try to remove thermostat again tomorrow so out with the blow lamp and bucket of water.
mdubash Avatar
Manek Dubash
1968 MG MGB "Odysseus"

Took the car out for a shakedown of its new electrical component (fusebox). All working fine, with six fuses instead of the original four - the last two I'm leaving for headlamp relays...

vincent knight
galway, clifden, Ireland   irl

fitted new front discs and pads, made a nice difference to the brakes!
twjmstewart Avatar
Thomas Stewart
Plymouth, MA, USA   usa

Continuing the disassembly. Moving right along. Removed the rear bumper and lights yesterday. Also a major repair will be the fuel tank. Knew it when I bought the car last year. Big dent in the bottom. Looks as if someone bottomed out at some point. So removed the fuel tank. I'm posting a few pictures to show why we have to use fuel filters. The picture of the container with brown liquid is the last half gallon of fuel in the tank. In the dustpan is the rust that came off the top of the fuel tank. After emptying the container the sediment settled to the bottom. I'm sure that there was much more sediment in the tank. The last picture is the current state of disassembly.

Attachments:
Fuel tank 1.jpg (33.4 KB) –
Fuel tank 1.jpg

Fuel tank 2.jpg (42.4 KB) –
Fuel tank 3.jpg (34.8 KB) –
Fuel and rust.jpg (28.6 KB) –
Sediment.jpg (34.2 KB) –
Rear Bumper and lights removed.jpg (38.6 KB) –
D McC Avatar
Dave M
Hays, KS, USA   usa
1968 MG MGB

Bought a used engine stand for $50 and removed the shift boot and cover assembly. I cannot put off the engine and trans work much longer...
SpridgetNut Avatar
Chuck C
Granite Falls, Washington, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Green Bee" ~ For Sale ! ~

I have been driving it to work so that I can get estimates on paint, exhaust work, get keys made, etc. I found out today that it is water resistant not water proof. It is fine while moving, but sitting still there are drips under the dash after several hours of sitting. Those of you who have taken off the door panels and chrome strips, is there a method to the madness or just the careful use of a screwdriver? It seems they pop off pretty easily to me.

A final question is; do the door panels usually follow the same color as the seats? My panels are black but the seats are brown. The dash, carpet and steering wheel are black. The seat belts are brown. Top is black and car is BRG.
clarky2o2o Avatar
Adam Clark
Gay, WV, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB

Today I didnt do anything to my MGB but I did hear of 1 for sale "Close" by. It was a 1980 Model (5 years newer than the 1 im currently rebuilding)had some new stuff put on and the guy wanted $1500 for it.

Unfortunatly he posted in the wrong state. he posted Flatwoods, WV but lived in Flatwoods, KY. its about 300 mile 1 way from me. and thats on the interstate If we bought it wed have to drive around 500 in backroads.

So anyone in KY wanting an MGB ...I know a guy.^_^
ohlord Avatar
Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   usa
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"

In reply to # 2306257 by SpridgetNut I have been driving it to work so that I can get estimates on paint, exhaust work, get keys made, etc. I found out today that it is water resistant not water proof. It is fine while moving, but sitting still there are drips under the dash after several hours of sitting. Those of you who have taken off the door panels and chrome strips, is there a method to the madness or just the careful use of a screwdriver? It seems they pop off pretty easily to me.

A final question is; do the door panels usually follow the same color as the seats? My panels are black but the seats are brown. The dash, carpet and steering wheel are black. The seat belts are brown. Top is black and car is BRG.

Victoria British has pdf files on door panel removal and side stainless removal and replacement. You don't want to use a screw driver and you do want to remove the few inner fittings at the fender fronts and inside the door to ease removal of the stainless trim. The Roadster factory sells the highest quality SS side trim.
As to the colors it all depends. Is it a true 1977 BRG color code? You can find color choices and interior carpet and door panel options either in the forum library or on the net. If you want to go stock that is what you need to look at,if the car is not really an oem BRG you need to choose what suits your fancy.
If it's a true 77 green it is most likely if stock, Brooklands green paint code BLVC169 black or autumn leaf carpets.autumn leaf seats

Heritage cert is worthwhile if you want to really know what color options it left in.

"You take off the roof and the top is the height of the nearest Star"
yonbear Avatar
Andy Mathers
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia   aus
1972 MG MGB MkII "Bee2 (B2)"

At last .. the sun was shining (for a while at least) and I got B2 out for a 45 minute drive this morning. After two weeks of continuous wet weather we both needed to get rid of a few cobwebs. And we did!

Andy M grinning smiley

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save