Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

What did you do to your MGB today?

Posted by Stretch GT 
Bryan73 Avatar
Bryan G
Virginia, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB "Nametaken"

Finally got around to swapping out my weber carb for a set of HS 4's I bought off Chris. Took all day, but mostly because of a broken acceleration cable. I can't wait to drive it Saturday smiling smiley
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
A36
Zachary O
Washington, DC, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB MkIV "The MG"
1986 Ford Ranger Pickup "The Truck"

-got the rheostat to work, I can finally see the dash at night! MUCH better
-replaced the hazard switch and the flasher relay
-Put in reconditioned center console and shifter boot
-sewed all the seats together save for the back of one; glued the bottoms on and attached to the frames; i'll be finishing that up tomorrow
-pulled the back brakes off, found a wheel cylinder to be frozen solid...soaked in pb blaster still solid after about a week; decided to go pick up a new one at NAPA smiling smiley
-found out that (i don't want to jinx it) almost everything works! going for a test drive soon...after 21 years of sitting no less! I cant wait!
kimmie Avatar
Kimberly Rae
Briar Hill, Victoria, Australia   aus
1970 MG MGB MkIII "The G"

Ummm
HC, FI, VVT, Turbo, Nitro.
Or just put in a rice burner.

It's not a car...It's an Adventure! (apologies to Casey Ryback)
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
johck Avatar
Jon Hauck
Hilton Head, SC, USA   usa

Took the trunk dpown to the metal, coated it with rustoleum with sound deadener, and then the new carpet goes in......oh my aching back, but it feels good!!!
Deleted
amanda bynes
Disabled Account, Antarctica   ata

Post has been removed by the administrator due to violation of the Terms of Service.
rundjk Avatar
David Kinsey
Virginia Beach, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB "Runaway"

Go Zachary and Brian! Report in on results, gentlemen!

David J. Kinsey
Virginia Beach
Tidewater MG Classics
1980 MGB "Runaway"
Lavo Avatar
Dave Laverty
Wirral, Merseyside, United Kingdom   gbr

adjusted ignition timing, adjusted valves, balanced carbs and serviced overdrive as per the John Twist videos and refilled the gearbox with 20/50 oil. Just got the choke cable to replece, high beam warning light to fix, radio to install tachometer to be replaced ( when a replacement acquired)and small rust patch on the front offside wing to sort out.
oily-hands Avatar
Owen Frankland
Stockton on Tees, Cleveland, United Kingdom   gbr
1937 MG TA "Numbum"
1971 MG MGB GT "The Bruise"

Took a short drive to the coast. Had a coffee and drove back.

Member of The International Society of Luddites (Unrepentant Chapter).

Take the time to understand what a part does and how it does it, then you'll have a better understanding of how to fix it when it goes wrong. Beats the scattergun approach every time.

Ignition testing made easy.

Making your MGB handbrake work

My You Tube Channel

Life with an MG TA and an MGB GT in the UK.
Kurt9893 Avatar
Kurt K
Centennial, Colorado, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB

Well, I tried to start it, but my dad decided he would mess around with idle speed, and now it wont start, sadly I couldn't do anything sad smiley
oldredsel Avatar
Rick Crosby
South Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA   usa
1959 Edsel Villager "OLD Red EDSEL"
1969 MG MGB GT "Emma"
2003 Chevrolet S10 "The S10"
2011 Subaru Forester "Mom's Princess Mobile"
2013 Ford F-150 Pickup 4WD "The Behemoth"

I have had a bit of a cold during the last couople of weeks, but the weather today was far too nice to pass up! So I ran out the route of the MA Southcoast / RI East Bay MG group run that we have scheduled for May 5, 2012.cool smiley

And now back in the garage with another 120 fun miles on the odometer!thumbs up

Cheers,

Rick
jameslo Avatar
James L
Southlake, TX, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB

I flushed the brake fluid, pulled the soft top and hard top down off the shelf and started cleaning them up.

I'm now back in the business of looking for weatherstriping for the hard top. I may put the hard top on at some point, or I may not, but I want it to be in good shape either way.
29desoto Avatar
Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   usa
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller"
1979 MG MGB "Kermit"
1984 Chevrolet Corvette "The Green Weenie"
1994 Chevrolet S10 "Lil Red"

Put new sway bar bushings on the rear of ole yeller. Now THAT"S a not fun job.

edit - first bolts I have ever had to cut off this car. Not bad overall.

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint - some kind of electronic ignition - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings - original exhaust - fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup - virtually no rust - right front wrecked and semi well repaired - just about right for me!

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
95% Done. V-6 is a treat, and the five speed is great.
More to do, but isn't there always?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 09:46PM by 29desoto.
Berkley Avatar
Berkley Fogelsonger
Wayzata, MN, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB MkII "Summer Of '69"

just build front speakers boxes (5" x 1.5" Visaton)for under dash and replace rear speakers with 5.5". Sounds great even with loud pipes and top down!! And the "expert" at a top end car stereo shop said I couldn't improve with anything without amps/boosters/etc around $800.00!!
Guess he doesn't know us MG people!! I'll post photo's after Velcro cures.
come-on summer!!
Berkley
Red Roadster Avatar
Iain Trainor
Perth, Western Australia, Australia   aus
1969 MG MGB "The B"
1999 MG MGF "The Lad"
2009 Nissan X-Trail

Seeing how today is Easter Sunday (down under) I made the folk at church a little envious. Very bad I know but today in Perth is 29 celsius and wonderful to drive topless.

So a s l o w trip through the church parking lot was great!

On another subject but kind of the same. How do I remove the heater knobs? They just do not want to budge! Any help would be appreciated. Owners manual useless!

Happy Easter!
Berkley Avatar
Berkley Fogelsonger
Wayzata, MN, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB MkII "Summer Of '69"

Iain;
About those heater knobs -- be very careful, they're not easy to find/replace [st least not for a '69B]. anyway, there is a small hole in side of knob, a spring/pin holds the knob in position. carefully push a small probe into this hole to release the pin/spring, while pulling lightly on knob. you'll feel a release and the knob should pull off freely. You may find photos in search??
good luck!
Berkley
Edward Whitlock
Georgia, USA   usa

Well, in the last three days, I have replaced the windshield, the fenders, the dash, and got it running again. Working on the car insurance.

BTW - the VB windshield glass SUCKS. There are major gaps at each corner where they beveled out the edges, and the new gasket did nothing to fill those in. Even using "personal lubricant" did nothing to make it work right. But there is a clear pane of glass in the frame, and the car is ready to ship to Hawaii. I will have to work on the windshield some more out there. Right now, it is time for some silicon sealant to plug the gaps, and hope for the best.

Ed Whitlock
74.5 MGB

The only thing better than driving an MG is driving a Nuclear Powered submarine armed with torpedoes, 154 Tomahawk Missiles and a DDS/SDV that launches our real weapons - Navy SEALs!
3066james Avatar
Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   usa

I was under the car today and found a bad weld on the down pipe of my new Falcon Bug Bore exhaust. Pretty big gap so I guess I'll be taking it off and returning it to Moss. luckily I live pretty close to their Petersburg location.

Jim
Bankerdanny Avatar
Daniel Palmer
Chicagoland, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB GT "Dudley"
1977 Honda MC Gold Wing

Drove it about 400 miles round trip for Easter brunch with my family. Couldn't resist parking it between a late model Z06 and Viper.

Endeavor to Persevere

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Attachments:
IMAG0424.jpg (40.1 KB) –
IMAG0424.jpg

yonbear Avatar
Andy Mathers
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia   aus
1972 MG MGB MkII "Bee2 (B2)"

A rose between two thorns!
bobbygee Avatar
bobby galvez
Round Rock, Texas, USA   usa
1952 MG TD ""Duckie Tee""
1979 MG MGB "Duckie Too"

In reply to # 2034840 by yonbear A rose between two thorns!

smileys with beer smileys with beer

BobbyG

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG