MGB & GT Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

What did you do to your MGB today?

Posted by Stretch GT 
jameslo Avatar
James L
Southlake, TX, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB

I flushed the brake fluid, pulled the soft top and hard top down off the shelf and started cleaning them up.

I'm now back in the business of looking for weatherstriping for the hard top. I may put the hard top on at some point, or I may not, but I want it to be in good shape either way.

29desoto Avatar
Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   usa
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller"
1979 MG MGB "Kermit"
1984 Chevrolet Corvette "The Green Weenie"
1994 Chevrolet S10 "Lil Red"

Put new sway bar bushings on the rear of ole yeller. Now THAT"S a not fun job.

edit - first bolts I have ever had to cut off this car. Not bad overall.

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint - some kind of electronic ignition - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings - original exhaust - fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup - virtually no rust - right front wrecked and semi well repaired - just about right for me!

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
95% Done. V-6 is a treat, and the five speed is great.
More to do, but isn't there always?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 09:46 PM by 29desoto.

Berkley Avatar
Berkley Fogelsonger
Wayzata, MN, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB MkII "Summer Of '69"

just build front speakers boxes (5" x 1.5" Visaton)for under dash and replace rear speakers with 5.5". Sounds great even with loud pipes and top down!! And the "expert" at a top end car stereo shop said I couldn't improve with anything without amps/boosters/etc around $800.00!!
Guess he doesn't know us MG people!! I'll post photo's after Velcro cures.
come-on summer!!
Berkley

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Red Roadster Avatar
Iain Trainor
Perth, Western Australia, Australia   aus
1969 MG MGB "The B"
1999 MG MGF "The Lad"
2009 Nissan X-Trail

Seeing how today is Easter Sunday (down under) I made the folk at church a little envious. Very bad I know but today in Perth is 29 celsius and wonderful to drive topless.

So a s l o w trip through the church parking lot was great!

On another subject but kind of the same. How do I remove the heater knobs? They just do not want to budge! Any help would be appreciated. Owners manual useless!

Happy Easter!

Berkley Avatar
Berkley Fogelsonger
Wayzata, MN, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB MkII "Summer Of '69"

Iain;
About those heater knobs -- be very careful, they're not easy to find/replace [st least not for a '69B]. anyway, there is a small hole in side of knob, a spring/pin holds the knob in position. carefully push a small probe into this hole to release the pin/spring, while pulling lightly on knob. you'll feel a release and the knob should pull off freely. You may find photos in search??
good luck!
Berkley

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Edward Whitlock
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA   usa

Well, in the last three days, I have replaced the windshield, the fenders, the dash, and got it running again. Working on the car insurance.

BTW - the VB windshield glass SUCKS. There are major gaps at each corner where they beveled out the edges, and the new gasket did nothing to fill those in. Even using "personal lubricant" did nothing to make it work right. But there is a clear pane of glass in the frame, and the car is ready to ship to Hawaii. I will have to work on the windshield some more out there. Right now, it is time for some silicon sealant to plug the gaps, and hope for the best.

Ed Whitlock
74.5 MGB

The only thing better than driving an MG is driving a Nuclear Powered submarine armed with torpedoes, 154 Tomahawk Missiles and a DDS/SDV that launches our real weapons - Navy SEALs!

3066james Avatar
Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   usa

I was under the car today and found a bad weld on the down pipe of my new Falcon Bug Bore exhaust. Pretty big gap so I guess I'll be taking it off and returning it to Moss. luckily I live pretty close to their Petersburg location.

Jim

Bankerdanny Avatar
Daniel Palmer
Chicagoland, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB GT "Dudley"
1977 Honda MC Gold Wing

Drove it about 400 miles round trip for Easter brunch with my family. Couldn't resist parking it between a late model Z06 and Viper.

Endeavor to Persevere

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Attachments:
IMAG0424.jpg    40.1 KB
IMAG0424.jpg

yonbear Avatar
Andy Mathers
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia   aus
1972 MG MGB MkII "Bee2 (B2)"

A rose between two thorns!

bobbygee Avatar
bobby galvez
Round Rock, Texas, USA   usa
1952 MG TD ""Duckie Tee""
1979 MG MGB "Duckie Too"

In reply to # 2034840 by yonbear A rose between two thorns!

smileys with beer smileys with beer

BobbyG

forestghost07 Avatar
Marco Sinai
Florida, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB GT "Viajero"
1999 Chevrolet Blazer "Works For Gas"

Drove PLT to the beach at 6:30 AM for a thorough warm-up,(8 mi round trip), forgeting how packed the beaches are here Easter, before sunup even eye popping smiley

With about 800 miles on my reborn dizzy from Advanced (Thanks again Jeff! thumbs up ), I reset the point gap and timing. Hard to get in there with a regular feeler blade so I ground down the edges of a .016 to a slender size- fits perfect. Got the timing @16 BTDC and idle @850; wow it starts alarmingly fast LOL and runs even better than before smiling smiley

Cruised it over to the family's later for eats and exhaustion from rowdy kids eye rolling smiley

~ Marco and Viajero ~

DWTMGB Avatar
dave tollie
VA, USA   usa

INSTALLED A NEW BATTERY AND GROUND STRAP I MY 79.DROVE IT ABOUT 10 MILES!

Podalane51 Avatar
Lane Poole
Burleson, Texas, USA   usa

Changed engine side panels, put the manifold and carburator back on, and there's this terrible screeching. Not the water pump, or the alternator; What could it be? Vacuum leak? Help!

mudde32 Avatar
Clay Whitehead
Centralia, WA, USA   usa

I got to drive the GT to go teach on Saturday. It was about 40 miles round trip and was a joy to drive. The route is on back roads and was a lot of fun. My fellow instructors approved of the new-to-us rig.

Today, it was Michelle's turn to drive. We took it out to breakfast and back. Then we needed a break so we had to drive to Baskin Robins with the sunroof open. All in all, an enjoyable weekend with the GT.

We have some minor tweaking to do. One of the tasks is to tune the SU's. I'm going to watch the Jim Twist video about 12 times before I take out the screw driver. (I have an old Unisyn that I used on my old '66 Spitfire, so that part will go OK.)

Clay

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth overdoing!

1972 MGB GT-"Punkin"
1979 MGB Roadster-"Maggie B"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500
2004 Jaguar X type "Squiffy"
1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "Wild Kitty"

Red Roadster Avatar
Iain Trainor
Perth, Western Australia, Australia   aus
1969 MG MGB "The B"
1999 MG MGF "The Lad"
2009 Nissan X-Trail

Thanks Berkley

Most helpful.

I purchased a wood dash kit and new heater knobs (couln't read the old ones). Haven't installed the laminate panels or the new knobs as I could not get the old knobs off.

Thanks for your help and I bought the knobs from SG parts in the UK. Great excahange rate at the moment.

Iain

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG