Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bill A Bill Augi
East Patchogue, New York, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
You guys have given me a lot of good information. But, I've only had the car 2 days and don't know my way around it yet. Can you please help me zero in on where the reverse switch is located?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Raise the car and support it safely. Go under the car from the passenger's side. You'll see the clutch slave cylinder bolted to the side of the gearbox with the rubber hose pointing forward. The backup light switch is rearward of that, atop the gearbox. You'll find a small wiring harness running across the top side of the gearbox. Follow that back and you'll find the backup light switch with two wires connected to it...

Dick

In reply to # 3535827 by Bill A You guys have given me a lot of good information. But, I've only had the car 2 days and don't know my way around it yet. Can you please help me zero in on where the reverse switch is located?

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

Bill A Bill Augi
East Patchogue, New York, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
I have the same problem with my 1974 MGB. We swapped wires, changed and shimmed the switch and verified the ground. Still no luck. I wound up putting a manual toggle switch under the dash. I checked with my mechanic who told me that that configuration is acceptable for the annual NY state safety inspection.

I'm not giving up on the problem, somehow I'm going to get this fixed. But in the meantime, I can let other motorist know when I am backing up by using my toggle switch.

Lewismic Avatar
Lewismic Micheal Lewis
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1973 MG MGB GT "Veronica"
Had a similar problem with overdrive not engaging unless theatre was backwards pressure on the gear level. Switch gave up the ghost (looked original) and when tested out of the car the button didn't move freely. Replaced the switch with a new aftermarket that worked a treat. Caution... Make sure you have the same number of washers and thickness on the new one as was on the old. This is as close to a gap setting as these things get. Good idea to test the system before you button everything up... Bitter experience.

To tinker... bliss. To repair... expensive!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster