Reverse Lights Always On

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Black Moon Armand Salvatore
TN, USA   USA
I recently swapped transmissions in my B to a non overdrive unit. I swapped the reverse light switch from the old to the new and now my reverse lights are constantly on. I tried switching the 2 wires but no change. Any suggestions where to start looking?

Thank you

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Hodgkiss Avatar
McDonough, Georgia, USA   USA
Switch is stuck in the closed position.Check it with a metor.

rrmgb Avatar
rrmgb Silver Member robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB
Is there supposed to be a washer under the switch (?)
Maybe its screwed in too far. Just a thought.

"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------
"It all starts in your mind's eye, then it goes to your heart
and finally to your very soul."
G.S.George PHD

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Simon Austin Avatar
Another vote for a bad switch. Unfortunately, not an easy job to replace with the gearbox in the car.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Spinal Tap Avatar
Spinal Tap Gold Member David N
Chicago, Illinois, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Nigella"
Ha! I have the opposite problem: Reverse lights never on! It's been like that since we bought it.

But I'll fix it when I do a 5-speed swap next year.

D

"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever." -Nigel Tufnel

Member Services:
Currently supplying '73 & '74 emissions decals for MGBs
JackMG Avatar
JackMG Gold Member Jack Lindler
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
So, mine NEVER come on...eye rolling smiley

Take your top off Avatar
Take your top off Colin Wheeler
Hebron Connecticut, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "The C"
1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
1973 MG MGB "Bumble"
1974 Jensen Healey "Jasper"    & more
My guess would also be no or not enough fibre washers under the reversing light switch. Either way, if the switch is faulty, the switch has to come out.

TN, USA   USA
I can't remember how many washers were under the switch. Will it make a difference?

So bad switch seems to be the #1 choice. Strange it didn't do it before the swap.

TN, USA   USA
It's not the switch. Tried different washers with no luck. Looking like wiring???????

captkenny2 allen kenny
omaha, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Wiring is not my strong point. But I do know that there is not much to the wiring of these lights. There is a green wire that goes to switch (fuse box) and a green and white? wire that goes through the wiring harness to the reverse lights. Somehow, the bridge between these two wires (which is the switch) is always closed, allowing electricity to flow to the lights.

Either it really is the switch, despite your attempts at putting washers in, or the electricity is coming from another source. Do the lights stay on when you disconnect one of the wires from the top of the switch? If not, then it would appear that it has to the switch that is the problem.

Is this a new switch? If not, then perhaps its closed internally so no addition of washers would have any affect on it.

TN, USA   USA
Tried a new switch, lights stayed on. Put ohm meter on old switch and new switch and both are good. What is inside the trans that pushes up the ball in the switch? Could this be locked in place or broken? Basically I screwed in either switch and before it's seated the lights come on.????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

captkenny2 allen kenny
omaha, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Is it safe to assume that if you disconnect the switch the lights go off?

TN, USA   USA
Yes it is.

captkenny2 allen kenny
omaha, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Then, I think you have to assume that either:

1) the new switch is bad, which is probably not the case (you could test with a meter),

or

2) as you have already surmised, there is something amiss in the transmission such that whatever actuating mechanism turns the switch on is stuck in the "reverse" position.

So, you transmission experts: chime in here and help this guy out. What is he going to have to do to make this work?

TN, USA   USA
I used an ohm meter. Both switches are good. Got to be internal or wiring.
Thanks

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster