Wilkiewheels Avatar
Jeff Wilkins
Hornell, New York, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB MkII "Tango"
1971 MG MGB MkII "Tiger"
1974 MG MGB "Gray Poupon"
1977 MG MGB MkIII "Green B"
1980 MG MGB Limited Edition (LE) "Pepper"

I just purchased a 1971 MGB. It has the dreaded clunk when i go from forward to backing up and a bit of shake in the front end at about sixty MPH. Is there a way to tighten the large castella nut on top of the king pin to firm things up? If I have to replace the upper and lower bushings does anyone have step by step instructions on the procedure? Any help with this is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

"Without hops the world stops"

rrmgb Avatar
robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   usa
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB

There is a way to tighten them up.
We can provide details.
BUT....
Clunk in front can be several things. Are you sure its not in the rear or U joints in the drive shaft?
Clunk in front;
loose shock mount bolts
worn/deteriorated/non existent cross member pads.
Lower trunnion play
shock link bushings
control arm bushings
Do you have a manual? Do you know how to check for kingpin slop?
RS

"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------
"It all starts in your mind's eye, then it goes to your heart
and finally to your very soul."
G.S.George PHD

Dwain Avatar
Dwain Fitzpatrick
Norcross, GA, USA   usa

I think a bit more diagnostics are needed before you start. The clunk could be several things, the shake sounds more like wheel balance....

Painting Bumpers In Atlanta

Too many Cars... not enough time...

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Wilkiewheels Avatar
Jeff Wilkins
1970 MG MGB MkII "Tango"
1971 MG MGB MkII "Tiger"

Its not the U-joints in the propeller/drive shaft. I always check that first. Shock mounts are tight. I had my brother watch and listen as I first rolled the car forward pressed the brake and then rolled the car back and pressed the brake. There is a definite clunk in the front suspension on each side but more on the driver side. Also I can feel it in the steering wheel. When I put a bar on the front swivel axle and apply pressure I can see some movement on the bottom near the swivel pin. So I replaced the bush for the swivel pin down there. The one that is horizontal to the floor. No improvement. So I got my bar and did another check and learned that the movement is in the king pin bush area. The lower one that is vertical. I expect I should first try to tight/snug this up and apply some grease before attempting to replace the upper and lower bushings.

I have a suspicion the prior owner pumped The king pin bushings full of grease prior to putting the car up for sale. The reason I say this is because it was much tighter when I did the test drive. Now after a few hundred miles the front suspension has loosened. Tomorrow I will look for signs that the grease has worked it's way out.

If anyone has information on how to adjust the tightness of the king pin I would appreciate it. Also, as I said in my original thread, I would like to learn what is involved to replace the upper and lower king pin bushings.

Thank you.

Jeff

Benny Avatar
Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   usa

You can't just "adjust" the kinpins, and tightening that nut on top will do absolutely nothing. There are bushing in the vertical axis of the swivel axle housing that (if worn) have to be replaced and reamed with a special tool. There are also thrust washers at the top that set (vertical) end-float....these can be replaced at home, but it is probably unlikely that wear in these washers is causing your clunk.

rrmgb Avatar
robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   usa
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB

In reply to a post by Benny You can't just "adjust" the kinpins, and tightening that nut on top will do absolutely nothing. There are bushing in the vertical axis of the swivel axle housing that (if worn) have to be replaced and reamed with a special tool. There are also thrust washers at the top that set (vertical) end-float....these can be replaced at home, but it is probably unlikely that wear in these washers is causing your clunk.
Agreed. excessive end float (top swivel link) will have a slight, quiet clunk on bumps.
Adding a shim here will have nothing to do with the vertical bushings. If worn beyond
limits, they need to be replaced and reamed.
RS

"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------
"It all starts in your mind's eye, then it goes to your heart
and finally to your very soul."
G.S.George PHD

lewisrn Avatar
Bob Lewis
Danville, Indiana, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB "The "B""

Do you have wire wheels? If so, it could be worn splines.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Michael74MGB Avatar
Michael Austin
Odessa, TX, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB MkIII "Maggy"

I get a clunk like described sometimes that ended up being the front brake pads slopping around a bit in the calipers. No biggie...

chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

The cost of that reamer is what stops most people from continueing on. I have one that has been used a few times, but most people figure it is better to just pay someone for a set of rebuilt stub axles sets and install those, or go to a shop and have the whole thing taken care of.

Member Services:
Not just for MG parts. Quality new parts at 15% off of list. No sales tax in Oregon Check out the Vendor Market page.
Wilkiewheels Avatar
Jeff Wilkins
1970 MG MGB MkII "Tango"
1971 MG MGB MkII "Tiger"

Does anyone know of a shop that does an exchange on the king pin assembly like the lever shocks?

Benny Avatar
Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   usa

Gordon at The B Hive does them, but when I spoke to him a few weeks ago, he was out of stock....give him a call.

Velcro Avatar
Ray Murray
Bellevue, WA, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB MkII "Glory B"

Check the A Arms by removing the lower trunion bolt and verify if the holes in the A Arm links are not elongated. Remove the King Pin Assy. and bring it to an MG shop. Refer to the Bentley Manual, pp. 237-237. Most kits now come with a nylon lock hex nut and no specific torque values are indicated but verify that you have less than .002" end play (about the thickness of a sheet of paper). Just make sure the swivel pin rotates freely. As you already know, it takes a special reamer to fit the new King Pin bushings. Find a reputable MG Shop in NAMGBR "Service Recommendations & Mutual Aid Directory" that was just recently published.

chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

Dan Wood on this site does that. His handle is DB Wood. If you can't get in touch, email me and I'll send you his phone number.

Member Services:
Not just for MG parts. Quality new parts at 15% off of list. No sales tax in Oregon Check out the Vendor Market page.
gfx2043 Avatar
lynn kase
michigan, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB

I offer a rebuilding service using only UK made parts. I charge $275 for the set. For that you get new kingpins, bushings, zerk fittings, dust shields, seals, washers, return shipping in the continental US, and the parts are cleaned and coated in a highly corrosion resistant coating. Turn around is usually 3 days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-28 01:37 PM by gfx2043.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG