AutoShrine Sponsor

mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
In reply to # 1754329 by rhooper01 Anybody had any luck with repairing the clock in the dash of a '77 MGB? My clock does not work, although I have 12 volts constant on one wire, power(when lights are turned on) on another wire for lighting, and a ground wire. Are there any aftermarket clocks that will fit that opening, and if so, anybody got a retailer, part number, etc. ?

Bag the clock and add a voltage meter in its place.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, Delaware, USA   USA
I have the one for sale, is the best out of the ones that I have sold, was keeping it for me! But time & projects change.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
briandubuc Avatar
briandubuc Gold Member Brian M. Dubuc
Roswell, Georgia, USA   USA
1976 Datsun 280Z
1977 MG MGB
1977 MG MGB
- And if you really want the clock AND the voltmeter, you can take some power and light from the cigar lighter circuit and put the clock in the console between your ventilation and heat controls like they did in the "Home Market" versions of the RB cars.

psksks76 Avatar
psksks76 Gold Member Pete Shannon
burlington, nc, USA   USA
Another option.
You can keep the clock in place and install this digital voltmeter in the cigar lighter
whenever you think that you have a voltage issue.
Less than $2 each on ebay and yes they do work!

Pete S.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-11 02:24 PM by psksks76.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
s-l500.jpg    17.7 KB
s-l500.jpg

sandglowB Avatar
sandglowB Al Blosser
Uniontown, Ohio, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
I replaced all the gauges with Speedhuts including a voltmeter in place of the clock. Then put the clock where the cig lighter was, just like the home market cars.

barrybarnes Avatar
barrybarnes Silver Member Barry Barnes
Reno, Nevada, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "ZoooomB"
The identical clock on my 78 MGB ran slow when I got it. I opened it up, sprayed WD-40 in the interior, let it drain out, and it has worked for the last 13 years perfectly. Hopefully, yours doesn't have electrical problems. Good luck

In reply to # 1754329 by rhooper01 Anybody had any luck with repairing the clock in the dash of a '77 MGB?

CARS: Restored highly-modified 78 MGB, 70 MGB, three 50 Fords, and 68 Mustang; just starting a 73 MGB. COLLECTOR: Antique carpentry tools, auto & woodworking tools, automobilia, license plates, birdhouses; books; pictures (barns, cars, planes); miniature carved animals, small lamps; Indian items; 1890s-1960s cameras, 1930s-50s radios, 50’s & 60’s memorabilia, more. SCALE MODELS: Cars, pickups, trucks, buildings, airplanes, ships, trains. CRAFTSMAN: Creative fabricator, woodworking. DO-IT-YOURSELFER: Current major home remodel; doubled size of another; added rooms to several houses; built home; 4 large irrigation systems, 3 huge landscaping projects. ENERGY: Built off-grid solar & wind system for small farm; currently have on-grid photovoltaic system (100% of electrical needs); built energy-efficient pool system; installed solar pool heating system. READING: Historical fiction, mysteries. WRITING: Essays, blogs, social networking. LEARNING: Alternative energy, anthropology, archeology, autos, behavioral typology, climatology, comparative religion, economics, history, human migrations, geology, linguistics, politics, psychology, sociology, systemics, values analysis, world-view thinking. KNOWLEDGE: Respect facts, logic, thinking; research, devalue opinions. GROWTH: Value self-monitoring, setting limits, self-discipline, accountability, philosophical thinking.

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
To answer O/P question.

Some years ago, my clock broke when I tried to set the time. Took it to 3 local watch repair shops and none wanted to touch, so took it apart myself. I needed to insert a TINY piece of plastic and drill a TINY hole with less than 1 mm. tolerance for the base of a cog to fit into. It now works again, & more accurately than my digital watch. I reset time using battery - a warning to all.

Though I had a cig. volt meter, my CD player or minidisk player fits in area in front of it so I can't have both voltmeter and music at same time.

But beat this for meter: $7.00 Cdn.

Attachments:
Volts : Wiper : Clock:Temp.JPG    32.3 KB
Volts : Wiper : Clock:Temp.JPG

psksks76 Avatar
psksks76 Gold Member Pete Shannon
burlington, nc, USA   USA
For the folks like me that like to keep things as stock as possible.

Now you see it.. Now you don't..

Attachments:
0913171708.jpg    29.2 KB
0913171708.jpg

0913171713.jpg    31.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster