AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rhooper01 Avatar
rhooper01 Rick Hooper
South Carolina, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Anybody had any luck with repairing the clock in the dash of a '77 MGB? My clock does not work, although I have 12 volts constant on one wire, power(when lights are turned on) on another wire for lighting, and a ground wire. Are there any aftermarket clocks that will fit that opening, and if so, anybody got a retailer, part number, etc. ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ogre1 Avatar
Ogre1 Allan Ogilvie
Melbourne Victoria, Australia   AUS
1977 MG MGB "Greenb"
Gauge guys sell the new smiths repro. About $95.

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, Delaware, USA   USA
Rick, I have 5 yes 5, 77-80 B O/E clocks that work up for sale. P/M for the price. Thanks Glenn 302 734 1243

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB79Tim Avatar
MGB79Tim Tim Lynch
Florida, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
My clock works but I can't set the time, the knob just makes a clicking sound and it won't turn the hands on the clock. Is there a way to fix this internally, or should I just buy a rebuilt or replacement?

MGman112 Avatar
MGman112 Silver Member Ken Glass
Sunrise Beach, Missouri, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Angelina"
Tim,
I had same problem. I couldn't set the time because the knob wouldn't catch the gears inside. I took a different approach instead of fixing it. I noticed it kept great time so I disconnected the battery until the correct time showed on the clock and re-connected the battery. That was a month ago and it is still showing the correct time.

Regards,
Ken

forda2 Avatar
forda2 Silver Member Brian Martin
San Antonio, Texas, USA   USA
If you are getting an original as a replacement, make sure you have the wiring for it. Some were German, some French. The light bulb holders are different sizes and will not cross over. If you had a German clock as original, you need a German clock to replace it or make sure you get the pigtail for the other one.

purdysmg Avatar
purdysmg John Harrison
Gjettum, oslo, Norway   NOR
1978 MG MGB "Topless Go Go Girl"
Unless you REALLY want one (clock) I strongly suggest pulling it out and replacing it with a new Smiths Volt gauge of the same size. It looks nice and like it belongs there and glanced at a lot more frequently. The price at £38 is cheap.

rrmgb Avatar
rrmgb Silver Member robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB
As long as Glenn has them for sale...why not take yours out and see if you can make it work? Wont cost anything to try.
RS

"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------
"It all starts in your mind's eye, then it goes to your heart
and finally to your very soul."
G.S.George PHD

MGB79Tim Avatar
MGB79Tim Tim Lynch
Florida, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
Sounds like a good idea Ken...pull the power until the time is right...sounds like a possible place for a switch on the clock power wire...thanks! Maybe someday the spring forward, fall back baloney will be outlawed!

rhooper01 Avatar
rhooper01 Rick Hooper
1977 MG MGB
Thanks for the info, guys, and enjoyed the phone conversation, Glenn. Felt like I learned a little. I'll get with you on that clock.

rhooper01 Avatar
rhooper01 Rick Hooper
1977 MG MGB
John, how does that volt gauge hook up in place of the clock in the dash of my '77 Can someone give me the wiring instructions ?

purdysmg Avatar
purdysmg John Harrison
Gjettum, oslo, Norway   NOR
1978 MG MGB "Topless Go Go Girl"
I bought mine from Moss for a 79 B and it went in perfect. The instrument came with instructions and wiring was easy. I can not remember exactly how I did it but it was not a big problem. That car I sold 3 years ago so I can not go and look. You will like the looks and an Volt gauge is something that should be in all LBC in my opinion.

rhooper01 Avatar
rhooper01 Rick Hooper
1977 MG MGB
I picked up a volt meter today, and installed it in the dash where the clock used to be. It fit perfectly, and I did not compromise the existing wiring for the clock at all, so I can re-install clock. if needed. Volt meter works great, and in agreement with John, much more important, in my opinion, than a clock. Thanks for the help, guys !

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, Delaware, USA   USA
This is the last clock that I have for sale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-24 06:03 AM by mgv8glen.

Attachments:
145.JPG    19.9 KB
145.JPG

146.JPG    32.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Pjm Peter Miller
Cornwall on Hudson, New York, USA   USA
Hi Glenn, I know your last post on the availability of a clock was in May, thought I'd try anyway. I need one for my 1980 MGB. Let me know if you still have it. Price? Thanks.
Peter Miller

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster