MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Harbor Freight Sand Blaster Evaluation

Posted by gow589 
G W
Evansville, Indiana, USA   usa

I bit the bullit and bought the Harbor Freight 40lb Sandblaster yesterday. It had quite a few parts. One of the Valves was not tapped but I did not take it back because it would be too much of a hassle. I can get another Valve. I was able to use it as it was.

I got a 50lb box of 70 grit sand to start. I cleaned a painted and some what grimy T-5 transmission. It worked quite well. I only used a pair of work gloves, long sleeve shirt and a plastic face shild. I think some breathing protection would be good as abrasive materials in lungs are not good.

One 50lb box of sand did the entire trans and followup cleaning on the bell housing. I had sand leftover but not sure how much in the canister. The only issue I had was clean up. The shower in the barn was down do to a cracked drain pipe some one drove over. I had to use the house shower. I stripped down to my pants and shook myself off as well as I could. I tip toed to the shower, carfully removed my drawrs (sp). In the shower I really had to work to get all the sand down the drain. My hair was full of it. The soap quickly felt like lava soap with the sand imbedded in it. I did the best I could, when my wife came up she was not too happy. She swept up a dixie cup of sand off the bathroom floor. I won't be doing this again till I get the barn shower going again.

It is however, a tool I can't believe I never had in my arsonal.

Gary

Post Edited (10-25-04 07:22)
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Mark Jones Avatar
SW, Ontario, Canada   can
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1995 MG MGF "Barney"

Thanks Gary for the info
G W

Your welcome,,,, pthuh,,,,,, I think I still have sand in my teeth!
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
jgbowman Avatar
Greg B
Greeneville Tn, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB

How big of a compressor were you using?

My father in law just got the TIP airless paint sprayer. I think I may need to do a report on that!

Greg
'73 B Mallard Green
18GH with Brittek 270 cam, Balanced
SU HS6
Peco header and exhaust
Eurospec dizzy, Lucas Sport Coil
O/D Black label
Kumho Solus 195/60-14 on Miniators
http://safetyfast.multiply.com/photos/album/4

G W

It is one of the large 80gal types. I had to let it re-charge 3x to get it done. I forgot to mention that.

MAN! I still have sand in my ear! I thought I got them clean!

G
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   usa

A couple of suggestions-one is to take a teeshirt, pull it over your head so that just your face sticks through the neck. Then drape the shirt over your shoulders. This will keep the sand from going down your back. Leave your shirttail out as well. Second-wear at the very least a dust mask. Silica sand in your lungs will lead to silacosis, similar to black lung from coal dust. The sand does not leave your lungs once it gets there, so you need to keep it out to begin with

Signature removed at Skye's request
G W

My wife said I should just wear a spedo and she would just hose me off when done. I don't think so! Breathing protection is a must.
Mark Jones Avatar
SW, Ontario, Canada   can
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1995 MG MGF "Barney"

Are we still talking about sandblasting outfits here? :-)
chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

One piece overalls and a painting sock would help, along with those Darth Vader painting masks that are good for so long, then you throw them away; about $30.

Roop's MG   – Pendleton, OR USA Quality new parts at 15% off of list. Can kozees at $2 each, black hoodies $25 both plus postage. Check out the Vendor Market page.
cfrench Avatar
Carl W. French
Alfred, Maine, USA   usa

On these units do they need a constant air source or do you just fill them and then run till out of air and then hook up th\o the compressor?

Carl W. French
Alfred, Maine
Southern Maine LBC welfare shelter
67B will be in our will
73BGT Daily driver
73BGT Wife's car
Many more that change often

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/leylandauto/

G W

Something I really did not address. They need alot of air. Air is compressing the tank and blowing through the nosle at the same time. The air in the tank forces the sand out so the valve on the bottom controls how much sand comes out. The air also comes down a line and through a Y feef conection where the air blows the sand coming out. You have to get the air suply valve and the handle on blowing air before you turn the sand on. If you don't it fills the hose with sand pretty quickly.

I don't know if a small aircompressor would work. I think it would but you would have to wait for it to cyle alot.

Gary
mgadams Avatar
Mike Adams
Saskatchewan, Canada   can
1962 MG MGB "Super B"

There are very cheap sandblasting hoods that do a great job of keeping the grit out. A better method is a cabinet. I built one with built-in gloves where all the debris falls back into the supply bucket and is used over and over until too fine to re-use. No clean-up at all. For stuff as big as the transmission, I am outside and let the sand go to the wind. The mask is a must when not using the cabinet.

Mike

the SuperB the Blower
G W

I have a cabinant and I keep a finner glass in it. It's hard to beat taking larger parts outside like axles, springs, frames, etc.
chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

Whether the smoking has caught up with me, or just the last 5 years of too much "small job" painting and using the sand blaster (wasn't that much), I don't have the air I used to have. I'm also older.
My advice from personal stupidity is that anytime you are working with sand, media, or paint of any kind, at the very least use a surgeon mask, and better to get one of those Darth Vader things. Old habits are hard to break, but when you feel like a fish out of water, you breathe just as well as the fish. Smoking is an addiction, the rest is just plain ignorance and stupidity.

Roop's MG   – Pendleton, OR USA Quality new parts at 15% off of list. Can kozees at $2 each, black hoodies $25 both plus postage. Check out the Vendor Market page.
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   usa

Chris, reckon age has anything to do with your lack of air? If anyone considers the hood idea, they usually require an air source for you to be able to breath. Plain old compressed air is not good enough for breathing. After a while of breathing the same air that you are using to blast or paint with, you will suffer. Breathing air is pumped with oiless compressors and run through several real fine filters to trap all the really small stuff, unlike your regular compressed air. Use regular air and you will be breathing oil, metal and plastic particles from the compressor. These are almost as bad for you as the silica

Signature removed at Skye's request

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save