Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Press fit piston wrist pin removal/installation

Posted by Tom Price 
Tom Price Avatar
Thomas H. Price
Brownstown Twp., MI, USA   usa

Ok folks,

Anyone got any helpful hints for the removal and installation of press fit piston wrist pins ('76 B)?

Seeing as I can't seem to find the Special Service Tool quoted in the service manual, I'm looking for viable alternatives.

Tom
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Limey Avatar
Eric Marshall
Pentwater, Michigan, USA   usa

Tom - you need a long piece of threaded rod that will fit through the wrist pin (gudgeon pin), a piece of tube about the same length as the wrist pin with an ID larger than the pin OD. Two nuts for the threaded rod, one washer with an OD slightly smaller than the pin OD and another washer with an OD larger than the tube OD. If the threaded rod nut is larger than the pin OD you will have to grind it down!

Now, put one nut on the end of the threaded rod, along with the pin sized washer. Put the rod through the pin, then the tube over the rod at the opposite end to the nut/small washer, then the big washer and another nut. Now CAREFULLY tighten the nut on the tube end and it "should" pull the pin out.

You can use a similar arrangement to get the pin back in!

Eric and Mary
us-marshalls.net
1974 MGB, 1971 Piper Cherokee, 1971 MGBGT
..... and 1978 Kawasaki KZ650-B2

Member Services:
Headlight relay kits, replacement fuse box kits, headlight alarm, overdrive "reminder", solid state voltage stabilizers and other useful "bits" to help keep your car running at its best.
Jim Smith
CASSIDY, BC, Canada   can

Would this idea work using the correct sized sockets and a fine thread bolt?
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   usa

When you put things back together, throw your pins in your freezed for a couple of hours and heat the piston up to 250 degrees or so in an oven. Make damn sure that you have the rod/piston orientation right before pushing the pin in. Awwow to the front on the piston, squirt hole in the big end of the rod away from the cam

Signature removed at Skye's request
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Limey Avatar
Eric Marshall
Pentwater, Michigan, USA   usa

Jim, yes it would. The only problem is finding a socket long enough to accept the wrist pin and a bolt roughly twice the length of the pin.

Eric and Mary
us-marshalls.net
1974 MGB, 1971 Piper Cherokee, 1971 MGBGT
..... and 1978 Kawasaki KZ650-B2

Member Services:
Headlight relay kits, replacement fuse box kits, headlight alarm, overdrive "reminder", solid state voltage stabilizers and other useful "bits" to help keep your car running at its best.
Steve F Avatar
Wylie, Texas, USA   usa

Post Edited (09-28-04 11:30)

64 MK IV Farina
66 B
78 B
Jim Smith
CASSIDY, BC, Canada   can

Guess socket idea would only work for installing the pin. For removing the pin a tube long enough to receive the pin would be needed. Looks like another project for the guy that I know that has a lathe.
Tom Price Avatar
Thomas H. Price

Thanks for all the advice, that'll help.

Has everyone who has done this job made such a tool?
chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

Some of us revert to older rods and pistons to avoid it. smiling smiley

Member Services:
Quality new parts at 15% off of list. Can kozees at $2 each, black hoodies $25 both plus postage. Check out the Vendor Market page.
Tom Price Avatar
Thomas H. Price

Can older rods and pistons be used in a later car?

I thought there was a combustion chamber difference in the early and late heads.
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   usa

Rods have nothing to do with combustion chamber differences. I refuse to use 18V rods in any engine I build. I use 1971 and earlier rods,with the slip pins, instead.

Signature removed at Skye's request

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG