MGB & GT Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

Wanted: ZS automatic choke body

Posted by erik 
erik Avatar
Erik Niederman
anchorage, AK, USA   usa

Anybody have an automatic choke body they could part with? The fast idle pin is broken on mine. It's for a zs 175cd on a 77 MGB. Thanks very much for the help.

Sprite Lou Avatar
Lou A.
Springfield, Oregon, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB GT "Higgins - RIP"
1973 MG MGB GT "Eliza - FIRST PLACE - MG2013"
1976 MG MGB "Daphne"

damn the timing... just sold a complete ZS setup last labour day... sorry sad smiley

mrbarry Avatar
michael barry
dover tn, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB "Moanin' Joan"
1991 Ford Bronco

If originality is your goal one can be had

if safety and function is your goal you are better served by replacing it with a manual choke ...

http://www.mgbmga.com/tech/mgb7.htm
""
Zenith/Stromberg Automatic Choke Unit

Because of the problems associated with this unit, namely gasoline leaks, carburetor fires, excessive fuel ingestion into the engine, and the resulting in catalytic converter "glow" syndrome and subsequent meltdown, we recommend the fitment of a manual choke assembly. Don't throw away your old unit. Your particular State will, in all probability, require that it be refitted as part of their smog inspection program. ""

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
hunter57 Avatar
Mike DeLorey
Tulsa, OKLA., USA   usa

Let me check in my garage. I have a complete carb I'll let you have. Just ran out to the garage. PO changed to a manual choke setup. Sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-20 11:15 PM by hunter57.

erik Avatar
Erik Niederman
anchorage, AK, USA   usa

Thanks for checking. I actually want to change to a manual choke. I think I still need my fast idle pin to work though. I've been looking at the conversion kits for a manual choke online. It looks like they use the auto choke body and guts and just replace the heat mass/water jacket with a cable.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
erik Avatar
Erik Niederman
anchorage, AK, USA   usa

I guess I should ask... Is there another way to convert to a manual choke without using the auto choke body?

mrbarry Avatar
michael barry
dover tn, USA   usa
1991 Ford Bronco

IDK you may be right
looking at the VB manual conversion

i have a Z-S off a 79 i use as a prop to keep my MG manuals standing up

http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/mg/full.aspx?Page=109

but its in pretty sorry shape the auto choke never worked right when it was mounted , i changed it out for a HIF44
pby the same internals broken on mine ,i never messed with it much.
you would have to tell me what to look for when i took it apart
If you are converting to a manual choke you should PM Mike in Tulsa and make a deal he said he had one already converted

let me know if you want me to try to disassemble & inspect that artifact.its been on the shelf 15 years

there are people who know around here i expect they will set us straight in a bit.

edit: look at that other string Fred in PA just pulled a working ZS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-21 02:10 AM by mrbarry.

Jim S.
Salem, NH, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB

Are you rebuilding your carburetor or is your choke just not working? If the choke tab is not seated in the heat mass spring the fast idle cam can't operate correctly.

erik Avatar
Erik Niederman
anchorage, AK, USA   usa

Not sure how they did it but... A previous owner somehow melted the fast idle pin assembly where it sticks out of the choke body and the return spring is missing. Otherwise, the choke works fine if I move the fast idle pin by hand. 
I'm glad to know there are a few zs carbs out there collecting dust on shelves. It gives me hope that I can find the parts I need to keep mine going for a while. Thanks very much to those of you who have offered to help with parts. I really appreciate it.  

mrbarry Avatar
michael barry
dover tn, USA   usa
1991 Ford Bronco

is this the part in question ?
if so you can see this example is cracked and discolored , spring is there .

Attachments:
zs.jpg    27.5 KB
zs.jpg

erik Avatar
Erik Niederman
anchorage, AK, USA   usa

yup, that's it! here's a picture of my melted one. On mine, 2 out of 3 of the holes for mounting the heat mass unit are stripped too. That's why I figure I'd just go for a whole new choke body and move all my good parts to it.

Attachments:
photo (37).JPG    38.4 KB
photo (37).JPG

mrbarry Avatar
michael barry
dover tn, USA   usa
1991 Ford Bronco

if you can not find an example that is not heat damaged and cracked i suppose i can trade you that sub assembly, because of my industrial archeology i would want your damaged subassembly reassembled so i could install it on my book end item;
seems like a better one should come available , ifiwy id make an offer to hunter57,, VB wants 100 bucks for the conversion thing and he says his has already been done . I doubt AK wants you to put a hazardous item back on

peyson Avatar
Alex Alderman
Texas, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB

Mine was broken as well and I had my machinist make me up a little something that when paired with a spring from ACE worked like a champ. I think there is a thread floating around here with pictures....

But then I yanked it out and put in HS4's.....

DOUG1977 Avatar
DOUG FORTNER
CARTERSVILLE, GA., USA   usa
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlas "RUBY"
1977 MG MGB "GRACIE"
1979 MG MGB
2004 Ford Ranger Pickup 4WD

I've got a good one came off my 77 last year. PM me if you need it.

Doug 1977 MGB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG