Posted by mitchelld996 
Save up to 15% with Moss Motors' Buy More, Save More Sale
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mitch BGT
La La Land, California, USA   usa

I saw many related posts on the subject of the oil seal at the tail of the transmission. I too have an oil leak at the rear gear box seal so I'll be diving into this. I plan to go with the belt and suspenders approach of using a new seal and a speedi-sleeve even though I don't know the condition of the flange yet.

I couldn't find any details or pictures specifically about the use of the speedi-sleeve. Is the sleeve to be installed over the flange that is bolted to the driveshaft? I don't have the flange off my car at the moment so the only pic I have is this really pitted example that I found on the internet.

Does the speedi-sleeve go on the surface to which I'm pointing I assume I'd have to push the sleeve on only so far to ensure the oil seal contacts the sleeve.

Regards,
Mitch

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 06:49 PM by mitchelld996.

Attachments:
Flange_very_bad_condition.jpg    30 KB
Flange_very_bad_condition.jpg

Sprite Lou Avatar
Lou A.
Springfield, Oregon, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB GT "Higgins - RIP"
1973 MG MGB GT "Eliza - FIRST PLACE - MG2013"
1976 MG MGB "Daphne"

Contact Dan Hoerring (Dan-the-fit-man)... he just did this recently and has an excellent documentary on his work - (I believe PBS is in negotiations with him to aire it) smiling smiley

Mitch BGT

Danthefitman was a name of authority that kept popping up in the various threads on the subject. I couldn't figure out how to send PM with a picture. I'll PM him now and refer him to this thread!

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Sprite Lou Avatar
Lou A.
1976 MG MGB "Daphne"

Now you're talkin.... when I'm ready this spring for install, I will surely refer to his threads on the subject.

chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

That was funny Lou. Unfortunately, the congress is talking about cutting PBS funding so I doubt Dan will get picked up. Which is really too bad as that would be a show to watch!

Member Services:
Check out the Vendor Market page for ever changing specials. Quality new parts at 15% off of list. No sales tax in Oregon. Not just for MG parts.
ozieagle Avatar
Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   aus
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"

Hi Mitch,

Speedi sleeves are easy. You need to remove the flange and take it to the shop with you, to make sure you get the correct one, diameter and width.
They come with an installation tool. With a vice to push the sleeve onto the flange the job is easy. NOTE you will need to coat the flange with a non drying sealing compound, such as permatek. You can probably get this at the same time as the sleeve.

Herb

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Mitch BGT

Indeed! I did get confirmation from another MGE member that the speedi-sleeve will be installed on the flange in the location I'm indicating. I'm guessing my flange won't be anywhere near as bad as the one shown in the picture, but I'll be installing one anyway. It was also recommended that I use some compound under the sleeve too - sort of a foundation and/or seal for the sleeve itself against the flange.

Looks like the sleeve I'll need has a sealing surface width of about 5/8 inch so the other key to the install is to push it on the flange far enough so that the oil seal is sealing on the sleeve surface. I don't know the dimensions of the flange as yet since I didn't remove mine, but I'll be sure to measure carefully! Looks like these sleeves can even be had through Amazon for about $35USD.

When I get to it, I'll take pictures as appropriate and post to this thread.

MD

danthefitman Avatar
Dan Höering
Oregon, Oregon, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB MkIII "1st ABFM 8,10,11,12,13,14"

A Speedi-sleeve on the flange at the tail shaft? Okay. I used the sleeve on the crank side. I didn't have wear/tear on my tail shafts on either gearbox, smooth and unscathed as a babies bottom.

I did the PBS special already - it airs tonight at 8 PST, Mr. John Twist is joining me too.

I did plenty of research too on speedi-sleeves. They're not hard to install - just take your time. They arrive with a tuna-type-can install tool which I tapped on with a large rubber mallet. When on smoothly and no leaks since - that over 2,000 miles ago.

My first thought is to have that tail shaft lightly turned on a lathe to smooth it out then put a new seal on, no speedi-sleeve.

the body is a temple : not a warehouse
dan@fitnessintraining.com
get and keep fit & limber to work on your B!
1st Place Winner ABFM Portland Oregon 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014!

Mitch BGT

To be honest, I don't know that I need a sleeve on the flange. However, I'd rather do belt and suspenders (new seal and sleeve on flange). I plan to tackle this seal with the gearbox in the car - I'll remove the drive shaft and go from there.

Here's a pic showing the leak I currently have from this seal. Oil leaks out of this seal, then runs down the rounded back end of the OD and accumulates on the OD sump plate until it drips off. I hate oil drips! I'm a firm believer that all leaks can be solved. I've had numerous air cooled Porsches and I was able to solve all of the oil line and seal issues on those, and I was proud to have a dry garage floor! I'm not going to let the MG get the better of me in this regard.

MD

PS - that line on the flange that looks like a crack is not a crack. It's just the strongest score line I've ever seen!?

Attachments:
Transmission_rear_oil_seal.jpg    66.6 KB
Transmission_rear_oil_seal.jpg

danthefitman Avatar
Dan Höering

Here's how I removed the nut and replaced the seal.

Attachments:
Dan's way of removing nut on tailshaft of Non-OD Gearbox - Spring 2010.JPG    71.7 KB
Dan's way of removing nut on tailshaft of Non-OD Gearbox - Spring 2010.JPG

danthefitman Avatar
Dan Höering

Here's another couple shots...

Attachments:
Non-OD tailshaft without flange or seal and Installation of new seal - Spring 2010 - Danthefitman.jpg    35.6 KB
Non-OD tailshaft without flange or seal and Installation of new seal - Spring 2010 - Danthefitman.jpg

Sprite Lou Avatar
Lou A.
1976 MG MGB "Daphne"

Dan, you're MORE than welcome to pop down this way some weekend to do mine thumbs up

danthefitman Avatar
Dan Höering

Removing the seal isn't tough, just patience-made. Once you remove the nut - the seal is ready to come out. It will be "in-there" because of expansion, contraction, though with a little time, nudging with a small flathead, being careful not to scratch the bore, she'll come out! Be brave, take your time. God knows, if I can do it successfully, anyone can! I didn't know a seal from a hole in the ground before last spring.

I learned so much - and it was mainly due to the courage instilled by this place. Once 'on the job' working on the B - I manned up and got'r done! I am quite slow, but I tell you what, I enjoyed every minute of that massive gearbox swap. I encourage all of you to do it! If could have polished the seals, I would have!

danthefitman Avatar
Dan Höering

Here's what the DPO did to the old seal...in hopes of not trying to replace it...

Attachments:
Old seal and new seal - Spring 2010 - of Non-OD in Danthefitman's now sold, 77 B.jpg    41.5 KB
Old seal and new seal - Spring 2010 - of Non-OD in Danthefitman's now sold, 77 B.jpg

danthefitman Avatar
Dan Höering

Feed me healthy food and you gotta deal Louis!

In reply to a post by Sprite Lou Dan, you're MORE than welcome to pop down this way some weekend to do mine thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-20 09:11 PM by danthefitman.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG