MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Need Asbestos Material

Posted by neely 
neely Avatar
Gary Neely
Heber Springs, Arkansas, USA   usa

I am cleaning and painting my heatshied for my SU's with some silver POR, however the asbesos strips are long gone. Can someone tell me where to buy some or sell me enough to re-do my shield?

Im not sure if this peanut brain of mine even remembers where the @#$# strips go. I remember how wide they were but not the orientation!

Post Edited (09-18-04 20:11)

Gary Neely
Heber Springs, AR.
73 B, OD
Su, HIFs, Pertronix
Schlemmerized
+.040, Crane 270
Alum Head, P&P
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Hi Gary,
If it helps, I have a picture of a new heatshield to help with orientation of the asbestos material. Alas, I cannot help with a source for the material.

http://www.jtsms.net/mgb1974/images/heatshield1.jpg

Cheers,
James
'74 MGB
neely Avatar
Gary Neely

James , Cant get it to open?
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
John D. Weimer Avatar
Cape Girardeau, MO, USA   usa

This stuff will work in place of asbestos. Fel-Pro Fel Ramic, P/N 3009, a 12" X 28 1/2" sheet 3/64" thick. It's bonded cermic material. There are other thicknesses of it and the suffix of the P/N changes with each one. A couple of the guys on here have used it and had good reports.

My Motto: Clean Body, Clean Mind...................... Take Your Pick.

Gary,
I think it'll work if you copy the link and paste it into a browser. But I would like to know how to do a clickable link. Let's try this:
<a href="http://www.jtsms.net/mgb1974/images/heatshield1.jpg">heatshield pic</a>

I won't know if this has worked until I see the message posted.

I'll also attach the photo - it may be a little bulky.

Cheers,
James

Attachments:
heatshield1.jpg (268 KB) –
heatshield1.jpg

neely Avatar
Gary Neely

Thanks for the photo James. Its a great help. Mine uses the clips instead of the rivets.. Just seems like there sould be more on the shield for it to be very effective. But then again Im sure Ive had cars that didnt even have the asbestos....

Post Edited (09-19-04 18:36)

Gary Neely
Heber Springs, AR.
73 B, OD
Su, HIFs, Pertronix
Schlemmerized
+.040, Crane 270
Alum Head, P&P
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   usa

To make a link add < to the front and > to the end of a complete web address, including the http, with no spaces anywhere in the link. Works most of the time. Why only most of the time? I haven't a clue

Signature removed at Skye's request
neely Avatar
Gary Neely

Called a Fel-Pro representative and he said Fel Ramic was a patented Kevlar matting material that they made gaskets out of, and it was not for sale on the open market although he said some had filtered out to some racing engine builders and this would be the only way to buy the stuff. So, still looking.
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   usa

Do a web search for Mc Master Carr then enter this 87575K88
If I was looking to replace the asbestos, this is what I'd use. A bit expensive and it somes in 25' rolls, but, I think I'd cut it up into pieces and sell some to others needing the same solution to recoup some of my expenses. I have though about do this myself as a GEM product, but I don't think there is a great enough market for me to get into it. FWIW

Signature removed at Skye's request

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG