Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Oil pressure & temperature gauge restoration

Posted by sultanoswing 
sultanoswing Avatar
Curtis _
Hamilton, New Zealand   nzl
1971 MG MGB GT "The 'Gee"

I'm tired of the intermittent working of the temperature gauge in my 1971, and the non-working nature of the temp. gauge in the 1970, so am going to pull 'em and get them restored.

They're both the alcohol capillary type, so likely need refilling and calibrating. The oil pressure and all other gauges in both cars work perfectly, so I don't believe this is a simple voltage stabiliser question.

In order to pull the gauge, I obviously need to temporarily plug the hole in the cylinder head where the water temp sensor screws in, and also the oil pressure line feed at the block, or at least where the oil line joins to the gauge.

So: What size / thread is the hole in the head (for a bolt), and what size bolt would I need to plug the oil line?
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
bleteaches6 Avatar
Lee Orphan
Sumner, WA, USA   usa

Curtis you may find that the price of new is the same as restoring the gauges. At least I did on my A oil/water temp a few months ago.
Jim K Avatar
James A. Krasnansky
Liberty, KY, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB GT "Chloe"
1971 MG MGB GT "Roscoe"
1972 MG MGB "Camilla"

I have a 70 & 71 GT. I don't think you need to pull the sensors to or epair or replace the gauges themselves. The "sensors" are electrical and they may need replaced themselves. The water temp thermocouple is pretty cheap. The switch for the oil pressure gauge is not.

They work on the 70.

Neither work on my 71 - I replaced the oil pressure gauge with a mechanical one. I replaced the voltage stabilizer a couple of times and it never did work consistently - I just got into the habit of checking the radiator frequently, and flushing the coolong system periodically - every couple of years or so.

Hope this is helpful.

Jim K is a grease-stained wretch
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
sultanoswing Avatar
Curtis _

Jim,

The sensors on our two cars are the alcohol capillary-type, and aren't electrical in nature. I know this because when I tried to replace the sensor - hello, how does the wire from the gauge plug in to it?!

I agree with the school of thought that the water temp gauge is one of the most important to have working, since not knowing when a boil over is occurring can cost $$$.

I'll check out a cost estimate on restoration versus replacement, but either way would like to keep driving until I refit, hence the request for the bolt size to blind the hole in the head and the oil line.
Ken Plumstead Avatar
Smithers, B.C., Canada   can
1965 MG MGB

Here is the link on how to repair the temp/pressure gauge.

http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

After you read it I'd be willing to bet $5 that you'll be ordering a new one for each car.

Ken

MGB: Transforming gasoline into Fun!!!
Jim K Avatar
James A. Krasnansky
Liberty, KY, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB GT "Chloe"
1971 MG MGB GT "Roscoe"
1972 MG MGB "Camilla"

Curtis - are we talking about the same thing? #10 in this pic from Moss' website is "Temp sender"

Attachments:
MGB-003-head.gif (49.1 KB) –
MGB-003-head.gif

Jim K Avatar
James A. Krasnansky
Liberty, KY, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB GT "Chloe"
1971 MG MGB GT "Roscoe"
1972 MG MGB "Camilla"

#14 is oil pressure switch

Attachments:
MGB-092-minor electrical.gif (27.2 KB) –
MGB-092-minor electrical.gif

willyumz Avatar
Lawrie Williams
Sydney, Australia   aus

Curtis, I have the dual temp/oil pressure gauge (both mechanical) with the temp gauge capilary tube and ether filled bulb and the oil pressure direct oil line. I just had mine refurbished (both sides) for a little under A$275. I wasn't prepared to drive without water temp and oil pressure gauges. Luckily the shop had a donor one sent away and then just replaced mine with the refurb one.
Lawrie
Jim K Avatar
James A. Krasnansky
Liberty, KY, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB GT "Chloe"
1971 MG MGB GT "Roscoe"
1972 MG MGB "Camilla"

Curtis & Lawrie - I think you are showing me something I didn't know. Get some pics if you proceed with the temp gauge.

I know enough to know I don't know enough. smiling smiley

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"

European and Australian Bs used the '62 to '67 mechanical combination "Safety Gauge" right up until the end of production. They never had the electric gauges that were fitted to North American cars. RAY
Jim K Avatar
James A. Krasnansky
Liberty, KY, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB GT "Chloe"
1971 MG MGB GT "Roscoe"
1972 MG MGB "Camilla"

Thanks, Ray - now I know something else!

sultanoswing Avatar
Curtis _

In reply to a post by RAY 67 TOURER European and Australian Bs used the '62 to '67 mechanical combination "Safety Gauge" right up until the end of production. They never had the electric gauges that were fitted to North American cars. RAY

So did New Zealand B's (have the mechanical gauges, that is).
willyumz Avatar
Lawrie Williams
Sydney, Australia   aus

James, Not sure what picture you want. The gauge is a round one with oil pressure on the top half and temp on the bottom. The picture attached shows the connections in the engine bay. For the temp there is a capiliary tube with a coil around it just under the thermostat housing right side of picture. The tube is clearer on the left side of the picture on the bulk head. Behind the brass fitting there is a bulb probably about 3/4 inch long filled with ether. The oil pressure connection is shown on the left of the picture. It is the braided flexible hose with the yellow band just to the left of the #4 plug lead. On the bulkhead it changes to a thin copper tube which goes directly to the gauge.

Curtis, I am not a historian so I don't know where your car was assembled and therefore what type of gauges it might have. If the VIN starts with a "Y" ie YGHNxxxxxx, I think it was assembled in Australia! Lawrie

Attachments:
DCP_1588.JPG (36.3 KB) –
DCP_1588.JPG

melbaver Avatar
Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   aus
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"

There's a new (still in box) combo one for sale on the Sydney MGCC site. They want $150 for it.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled which is why I'm often ignorant about what some parts are, and even more ignorant of where they go.

mrbarry Avatar
michael barry
dover tn, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB "Moanin' Joan"
1991 Ford Bronco

150 american is what moss wants + shipping

Attachments:
smiths.jpg (36 KB) –
smiths.jpg

sultanoswing Avatar
Curtis _

Nope.

No pavlova-claiming, Phar-Lap-chasing, Crowded-House-stealing connections to our two 'Gees.

Assembled 'convict free' ;p

ps - watching the Ashes?

pps - Actually, all friendly joshing aside, thanks for the heads up about to the sydney MGCC offer. Depending on the cost of restoration, I may well make some trans-Tasman inquiries.
mrbarry Avatar
michael barry
dover tn, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB "Moanin' Joan"
1991 Ford Bronco

you might consider plugging that water temp hole with a cheap parts house electric temp gauge sender and hanging the gauge under the panel .

just for the time being

on this side of the water JCWhitney sells electric and mechanical temp and oil pressure gauges cheap as dirt ,, around 25 smackers

Shirley they have cheap suppliers over there

they come with a fit kit ...usually

its not right and pretty crude to hang gauges like that but eversomuch better than running w/o water temp/oil pressure
http://www.jcwhitney.com/2-mechanical-oil-pressure-voltmeter-water-oil-temp-triple-gauge/p2009610.jcwx?filterid=c27463d1619y1972j1

2" Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge. 0-100 psi scale. Senders, 72" high-temperature nylon tubing and 1/8" and 1/4" NPT fittings included.
2" Voltmeter Gauge. 8-18 volt scale. Hardware and fittings included.
2" Mechanical Water/Oil Temperature Gauge. 100°-280° F scale. 72" tubing, 5/8" NPT fitting and 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" adapters included.
sultanoswing Avatar
Curtis _

Thanks for the suggestions, Michael. However, since the water temp. gauge in one of the cars hasn't worked in at least a couple of years, I figure what's another few weeks (famous last words, of course).
johnny mango Avatar
john cooke
loxahatchee, florida, USA   usa
1971 MG MGB ""IRIS""
1978 MG MGB "EMMA"
1979 MG MGB Limited Edition (LE)

to plug the hole you'll need a pipe plug, which is threaded differently than a bolt. see the guy at the hardware store.
if one gauge works intermittently, it probably has a bit of crud stuck in the gearteeth that move the needle. the one that doesn't work at all is the one that will need the new line and bulb and ether refilled. you might wanna take the chance of removing the completely non-functioning one to see how it comes apart, and then after being completely knowledgeable about it, carefully dissasemble the intermittent one and clean the tiny gearteeth. under no condition, put any stress on the capillary tube, 'cos once broken, it'll need a rebuild. you may be able to remove the intermittent one thru the front of the dash and not have to mess with the capillary tube. remove its can, clean its teeth and be home free.
sultanoswing Avatar
Curtis _

Thanks for the tip - repair sounds better than replace! If it does work out cheaper to go new, I suspect I'll be replacing with the electronic sensor for reliability's sake in future!

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save