MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

MGB Roadster removable hardtop?

Posted by noahfox 
Noah Fox
Rhode Island, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB

Ok, so I have a 1972 B which I bought used and the soft top I got with it was in rough shape. I did a little research and found out that you can get a fiberglass hardtop. My question is, will this top seal against weather better than the soft top (which leaked BADLY) and is it worth the $1000+? Also, is there anywhere that makes them cheaper (<$1000)?

Thanks,
Noah
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

You can find used ones in the $300 range. A new one might list at $1000 (get ready for closer to 1300) but add several hundred in shopping!

In my opinion, since I don't have a soft top, yes...better weather protection but not as well by far as a closed car. Carry a small squeegee and perhaps chamois or sham-wow for clearing the inside of the windows in rain.

Also I find my top when on captures the mechanical noises of the car very well and makes it considerably louder.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed
MGB Tips and Tricks: www.mgrescue.com
Jack Long Avatar
Forest Hill, Maryland, USA   usa
1955 MG TF 1500 "Harriet"
1974 MG MGB "Lucy"

My 74 convertible came with a Snugtop hardtop that fit and sealed very well. I sold it for about $400 because I don't drive the car much in the winter, it had a brand new soft top, and I needed the money for other things like new paint. Here is what the Snugtop looks like; you can find them on ebay or here in the Trader pretty regularly.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
Hardtop_montage.jpg (28.2 KB) –
Hardtop_montage.jpg

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   usa

It should seal well, but they don't always. Good rubber is critical for good sealing. I have one with new rubber but don't really like it on the car because of all the extra noise that it captures. A long trip would be fatiguing. It is NOT like a modern sedan or coupe. If that's what you are looking for, buy a cheap Honda instead
kwinzee Avatar
Ron Weber
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada   can
1972 MG MGB GT "Struggles"
1976 MG MGB "Knute"
2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer "Gray Whale"

So Gerry, do you think that lining the inside of the hardtop with something like felt would cut down on the noise?

Big words don't scare me, using them does!!

BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

1972 MGB GT, sunroof, double DIN stereo w/bluetooth and GPS, Shelby Viper rims

1976 MGB, HS4 Carbs, Schlemmerized dizzy, power windows, power mirrors, GPS, overdrive
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Masterman

In reply to a post by kwinzee So Gerry, do you think that lining the inside of the hardtop with something like felt would cut down on the noise?

Maybe, but the only real cure I see is to stop the noise from coming into the cab to begin with. I suspect that will be all but impossible to do. When you have the top down I don't hear the noise, and even when the ragtop is up I just accept it being there. Put the hard top on and I expect it to be much quieter, but it isn't

One other issue to think about is the lack of upward vision if you are tall. I am 6' and cannot see stop lights if I am within 30' of the intersection center with either top in place. I damn near have to bend in half to see the light if I am first in the row. A prism will be a must if you do much driving with either top

I just accept my car as a top down car and use the top only when I absolutely have to
Noah Fox
Rhode Island, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB

@Gerry
That's mostly what I am looking to do with it. Essentially I only want the top for a little city driving if there's a chance of rain. It would not be for everyday use. What I really want to know is if it is a good replacement for the badly leaking soft top I have now.
mowog1 Avatar
Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   usa
1968 MG MGC "The Green C"
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"

Noah....by the time you install a hardtop for city driving in the rain, the rain will have probably stopped. Just put the hood up and go for it; keep some towels in the cockpit for the drips; enjoy the drive.

Hardtop installation is a two-man operation unless you have a pully system installed in your garage.

I've run a hardtop on my MGC since 1996....I like the look and I don't mind the increased noise level in the cockpit. (I also have one on my 1968 MGC.)

Noise levels in the GT are not any different....and I've spent a LOT of hours in the cockpit of a GT during endurance rallyes over the years.

1968 MGC - 1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com

Attachments:
1969 MGC Overview Resized.jpg (48.9 KB) –
1969 MGC Overview Resized.jpg

1968 MGC RF_1.JPG (46.4 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Masterman

Ricks right, the hardtop is more trouble than it's worth. It is a two man job to install and remove and then there's the problem of storing it when not in use that you will also have to contend with. You need to find someone with a top to borrow for a while to see if you want to put up with the bad side. If you were local I'd loan you mine for a few weeks to try out. I DO like the looks of a B with a hardtop, though, but like the looks and weatherproof traits of my BGT better
Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB

Ok Gerry, here's your cure for seeing stop-lights. I ordered a couple fo these and they work well. I started out with mine centered in front of the driver but got into my normal field of vision, now have it mounted just to the left of the rear-view mirror.

http://lightinsight.com/

(Note: this is not an advertisement)
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

It's not a 2-man job at all. I've loaded and unloaded several different hard tops by myself for a long time.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed
MGB Tips and Tricks: www.mgrescue.com
mowog1 Avatar
Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   usa
1968 MG MGC "The Green C"
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"

In reply to a post by mac townsend It's not a 2-man job at all. I've loaded and unloaded several different hard tops by myself for a long time.

You're a better/stronger man than me.

I would have the paint ALL buggered up trying to install one by myself.

Once OFF of the car, I can handle it myself.

1968 MGC - 1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Masterman

Clay, I've had those for years

Mac, you're a better man that I am-willing to hold a fiberglass top, by yourself over your car. One slip and ruined paint
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"

When I lived in New Jersey, and used the B year round, I would install the factory hard top in December, drive with it through April and remove it in May. It kept me warm and dry. I didn't experience any noticeable increase in noise, the opposite in fact. They are really designed for foul weather use and don't lend themselves to being installed, or removed, in under 5 minutes. RAY
74nrgmgb Avatar
Richard Anderson
Kirkland, Washington, USA   usa

All this hardtop talk and I've decided to rehab my SnugTop a little so I can put in on for trips to the alignment shop and other work that needs to be done on the car. I don't have a soft top yet. I need to re-glue some of the gasket and find one of the mounting tabs that goes on the car itself. I have 1 of the 2 needed.

Richard Anderson
1974 MGB Chrome Bumper Roadster - Dark British Racing Green
Hoyle coilover double-wishbone front suspension / GAZ Adjustable Shocks
British Automotive composite spring rear suspension
Traction (anti-tramp) control bars / Mantell Motorsports Panhard Rod

1924cc Big Bore engine (83mm) JE Forged 83mm Pistons
Kent 717SP Fast Road Scatter Pattern cam / Pertronix Coil and Ignition
Harland Sharp 1.55:1 Roller Rockers
RIMFLO stainless valves, 3-angle, ported, polished, cc'd head
Weber Outlaw 38DGES 2-barrel synchronous downdraft carb
Falcon stainless LCB header / Monza exhaust
16 row oil cooler with bypass valve and spin on oil filter
Lightened flywheel
Jim S.
Salem, NH, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB

My whole soft top assembly is in the attic and wont be back on the car until someone else owns it. I put all new seals along the bottom but where it hooks to the two chrome pieces on the back deck you would have to cut the seal to make it completely sealed. I did not want to cut the seal so it does show a tiny bit of daylight in those spots. I have washed the car several times since I put it on and not a drop of water got in the car. It's a two man (man and woman in this case) operation to put on unless you don't care about possible paint damage should you slip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 08:08PM by 80MGBLE.

Attachments:
1MGB hdtpa.JPG (41 KB) –
1MGB hdtpa.JPG

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG