Please Sign In or Register to Search

Clutch master cylinder removal

Posted by mheitt 
mheitt Avatar
michael heitt
Baltimore, USA   usa
1967 Jeep Commander "Jeepster Commando"
1976 MG MGB

How the heck do you remove the bottom bolt on the clutch master cylinder? I just can't figure it out.

m
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
mk2sprite Avatar
Michael Knaub
New York, USA   usa

M. Go from under the dash, remove the oblong rubber plug in the firewall and go thru there with a socket and long extension. Difficult but do able.
Mike
canuck Avatar
David Ross
Tampa, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB "New Baby"
1978 MG MGB V6 Conversion "New Baby"
1980 MG MGB "Green Grass Hopper"

Ditto X
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

now for the EZ trick.

when replacing the cylinder, thread the bottom (or top and bottom) holes in the mount. then use cap screws with no need for a nut. Doesn't make getting the hydraulic line connected any easier, but it does reduce the number of battles you need to win.<G>

1973 Roadster. A nice 50-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed
MGB Tips and Tricks: www.mgrescue.com
twigworker Avatar
Jack Austin
Blowing Rock, NC, USA   usa

Actually all of the above posts are over simplifications. The truth is that it is a B**** and then you die.

Jack

---------------------------------------------------- Services to Interesting British Automobiles-- www.jackscars.net ----------------------------------------------------------------
-------------I like to think that I don't service automobiles so much as I provide entertainment, fulfill dreams and revive wonderful memories --------------

I am in the northwestern North Carolina mountains, right up against the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lawn chairs are in the shop and always time to talk. Drop in any time.

Member Services:
Over 40 years of caring and capable services to British cars and their owners. For help or advice please call 828-295-0224, email to jackscars@charter.net or go to www.jackscars.net.
mheitt Avatar
michael heitt
Baltimore, USA   usa
1967 Jeep Commander "Jeepster Commando"
1976 MG MGB

Thanks, I finally figured it out by the time I checked the computer again.

In reply to a post by mac townsend when replacing the cylinder, thread the bottom (or top and bottom) holes in the mount. then use cap screws with no need for a nut. Doesn't make getting the hydraulic line connected any easier, but it does reduce the number of battles you need to win.<G>

I don't get it... what are cap screws?

Also, since I'm ordering a new master, should I just bite the bullet and buy the slave and tube? Is the slave easy to remove and replace?

Lastly, I've read about "bench bleeding" the master before installing. Is this necessary and if so, how is it done?
underdog Avatar
Jim Underwood
Pittsburgh, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB
1980 Triumph TR8 "Fabulous Trashwagon"
1999 Chevrolet Corvette "Darth Vader"
1999 Chevrolet S10 "Spare Change"
2003 Jaguar S-Type "Eleanor"

This is another reason why I'm an advocate of doing all the hydraulics at once. With the brake and clutch lines all removed, the entire pedal box assembly can be unbolted after the pedals are dropped down. Then it's a very simple matter to replace both masters and you will be good...in my case... the rest of my life! Also a good time to check the bushes in the pedals and all the clevis pins ect.
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

a cap screw is the technical name for a bolt without a nut. Technically it is not a bolt until it uses a nut.

In reply to a post by mheitt Thanks, I finally figured it out by the time I checked the computer again.

In reply to a post by mac townsend when replacing the cylinder, thread the bottom (or top and bottom) holes in the mount. then use cap screws with no need for a nut. Doesn't make getting the hydraulic line connected any easier, but it does reduce the number of battles you need to win.<G>

I don't get it... what are cap screws?

Also, since I'm ordering a new master, should I just bite the bullet and buy the slave and tube? Is the slave easy to remove and replace?

Lastly, I've read about "bench bleeding" the master before installing. Is this necessary and if so, how is it done?

1973 Roadster. A nice 50-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed
MGB Tips and Tricks: www.mgrescue.com
chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

True that but then you do more restorations than repairs, yes?

Member Services:
Quality new parts at 15% off of list. Can kozees at $2 each, black hoodies $25 both plus postage. Check out the Vendor Market page.
dhartlein Avatar
Dave Hartlein
Suwanee, GA, USA   usa
1980 MG MGB
1991 Volvo 240

In reply to a post by underdog This is another reason why I'm an advocate of doing all the hydraulics at once. With the brake and clutch lines all removed, the entire pedal box assembly can be unbolted after the pedals are dropped down. Then it's a very simple matter to replace both masters and you will be good...in my case... the rest of my life! Also a good time to check the bushes in the pedals and all the clevis pins ect.

Jim - great to hear. I've got new masters for both plus a new clutch slave awaiting installation - all from Basil.
underdog Avatar
Jim Underwood
Pittsburgh, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB
1980 Triumph TR8 "Fabulous Trashwagon"
1999 Chevrolet Corvette "Darth Vader"
1999 Chevrolet S10 "Spare Change"
2003 Jaguar S-Type "Eleanor"

In reply to a post by chris True that but then you do more restorations than repairs, yes?

Not really. Only one I've completely restored is mine but I've repaired quite a few. Actually more money can be made fixing piece by piece over a period of time than doing the whole job at once. Most seem to think they are somehow saving money by having me fix each part as it fails instead of shelling out for a complete overhaul. Not really the case in the long run. I could see it if you are planning to dump the car soon but not for a "keeper". Sorta like the saying " you can pay me now or you can pay me later".

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG