Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

ADDCO front sway bar install pics

Posted by ssduane 
Duane Paulsen
San Diego, Ca, USA   usa
1966 Chevrolet Chevy II "Mine"
1976 MG MGB "Jodys MGB"

Added the ADDCO front sway bar the other day. Pretty easy install, but was not a direct bolt in as would be easy for the beginner.

Sway bar end links replace the outer lower control arm bolt, which will need to be drilled out to 3/8" to accept provided hardware. The bracket hole (outer control arm hole) need to be modified. The hole in the provided bracket is drilled center of the face, well considering the bracket is on tall enough to fit in the channel of the A-arm pice, the holes will not line up, so I had to oblong the bracket hole, or ream the A-arm hole, which would of eliminated the lower metal piece between the A-arm's.

Sway arm frame mounts- the directions say to use provided frame holes, well even with slotted mount holes I couldn't find two holes the lined up. So I bolted up the end links, little loose, and found one hole on each side that lined up with the end links vertical, and drilled and tapped one additional hole for each frame mountWell, actually, drilled and used some self tapping 5/16" bolts. BUt they worked too.

Looks good and really adds to the driving fun, not to tight, adds a little bit more stiffness to the ride, bet well worth it. Might not even need the rear bar, haven't ordered it yet but do have a stock one that I paid 10 bucks for. Will have to see what happens after she gets the 1" drop.

current changes-
Delco 63 amp alternator, Energy/Prothane suspension bushings, front to rear, JVC deck with IPOD controls, new Moss radiator, ADCO front 7/8" sway bar, OD black label trans, chrome bumper conversion, tan leather interior, AA wire block.

future mods-VTO 8 spoke 15x6 wheels (on order)

Aquired parts-
snug top
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Benny Avatar
Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   usa

What diameter is that? Solid bar?
Duane Paulsen
San Diego, Ca, USA   usa
1966 Chevrolet Chevy II "Mine"
1976 MG MGB "Jodys MGB"

measures in at .880" inbetween 13/16 and 7/8", yes solid bar, or assuming from the weight of it.

current changes-
Delco 63 amp alternator, Energy/Prothane suspension bushings, front to rear, JVC deck with IPOD controls, new Moss radiator, ADCO front 7/8" sway bar, OD black label trans, chrome bumper conversion, tan leather interior, AA wire block.

future mods-VTO 8 spoke 15x6 wheels (on order)

Aquired parts-
snug top
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
tomkatb Avatar
Larry Baygents
Dayton, Ohio, USA   usa
1963 MG MGB

This week I am adding a stock bar to my 63.

Heavens, that bar makes mine look small.

Larry

L.W.(Larry)Baygents
63B
77 Spit

DB Wood Avatar
Daniel Wood
Tumalo, OR, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB GT "Clyde"
1970 MG MGB GT

I think you have a 7/8" bar with .005" of paint on it. 7/8 is .875. Looks good and I bet it corners real flat too.

Dan Wood
70BGT driver, OD, Pertronix, HS4's, Peco, .060 over, Elgin cam, Superlite wheels, poly bushings, panhard rod, rear tube shocks, 1" lowered front end, HD shock valves, etc, etc.
69BGT project (V-6?)
88 Saab SPG Turbo
86 Vanagon Westy (South African conversion engine 2.0 OHC 135HP)

Lucas= Loose
Unsoldered
Connections
And
Splices
sws615 Avatar
Stephen Struck
Grand Haven, MI, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB GT
1975 MG MGB "Commission # G23N124120"
2007 Acura TL Type-S

Sway bars on those cars produced without them are a terrific idea. I had a chance to take my 75 (Addco 3/4" bar, short springs) on the track at Belleville and the pix my wife took show the car almost perfectly flat in the turns. Even the instructor was complimentary of the handling.

I also did the rear bar, which many have said isn't necessary. As I installed both at the same time, I can't help you on any difference it makes.

Duanne, I was curious about the bar brackets not bolting right up. Mine were fine, albeit the rounded brackets ADDCO provided were not the proper pieces for the squared off rubber grommets. Had to change to a strap type as the rubber bits kept slipping out to the side.

Enjoy!

Steve
Steve64B Avatar
Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   usa
1966 MG MGB

Duane,

Long time ago I added ADDCO bars to a B. The front was 7/8" the rear 3/4"... WHOAAAA, not a good combination it was a tail happy, oversteering handful!
DrewM Avatar
Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   usa

I added a GT bar to my roadster since they're thicker. Helps firm it up a bit.

Drew Maddock
Pasadena, California
tourtelot Avatar
Douglas Tourtelot
Seattle, WA, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB "Heathcoat"

Oh boy! I just spent all day installing an Addco front sway bar on my 1976 B.

First of all, I now know what I hated about my MG. My Volvo wagon handled better that the MG did! Well, the Volvo DOES have front and rear sway barssmiling smiley But the little Brit is much much better now. It was worth the effort.

Now to the gripes. How can Addco sell a car-specific product that needs every part reworked in order to do the installation? In-frickin-furating! Both the brackets that support the bar and bushing on the frame and the l-brackets that go onto the lower control arm needed milling to fit. The instuctions that came with the bar? Un-usable! I put the bar on upside down first time; then, of course, I saw that it would never line up. A picture wouldda helped. If I had it to do again, it would take 1/4 as long but I'd be more pissed than ever about the non-fitting parts.

WHAT IS UP WITH THAT!

Well, milling on the drill press is not the most pleasant, or accurate way to do it but I got all the parts gouged out enough to fit (and I am pretty sure, still secure.) Tomorrow I am calling Addco and letting them know in the nicest possible way that they suck. Okay.

Then I took the little guy out for a spin, and for the first time since I have owned the car, I felt like I was driving the car and not the car dragging me all around the corners. What a pleasant surprise.

So there! The good, the bad and the ugly about my installing an Addco sway bar.

D.

Douglas Tourtelot
Seattle, WA

"Every education has a tuition"
Be Coming Avatar
Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   usa
1957 MG MGA
1957 MG MGA Coupe
1958 MG Magnette
1959 MG MGA
1962 Morgan 4 Seater   → more

In reply to # 1507838 by Steve64B Duane,

Long time ago I added ADDCO bars to a B. The front was 7/8" the rear 3/4"... WHOAAAA, not a good combination it was a tail happy, oversteering handful!

Steve.

I ran the same combination on my 1970 MGB and was very happy with the balance. Not sure what differences would cause that.

I wasn't so happy about the rear brackets ripping the floor out of the boot.

None of the bracketry fit up correctly back in 1984, so I'm not surprised there are still problems with fitting.
Steve64B Avatar
Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   usa
1966 MG MGB

In reply to # 2064232 by Be Coming
In reply to # 1507838 by Steve64B Duane,

Steve.

I ran the same combination on my 1970 MGB and was very happy with the balance. Not sure what differences would cause that.

I wasn't so happy about the rear brackets ripping the floor out of the boot.

None of the bracketry fit up correctly back in 1984, so I'm not surprised there are still problems with fitting.

Kelvin,

I think balance in a car is like ice cream... some people like vanilla and some like strawberry.

My current car has a 1" bar front and 5/8" rear bar and I like the balance much better.

As far as the fit of ADDCO products… they’ve been turning out garbage for over 50 years and pissing off customers every step of the way.
Be Coming Avatar
Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   usa
1957 MG MGA
1957 MG MGA Coupe
1958 MG Magnette
1959 MG MGA
1962 Morgan 4 Seater   → more

In reply to # 2064413 by Steve64B As far as the fit of ADDCO products… they’ve been turning out garbage for over 50 years and pissing off customers every step of the way.

I've found that the bars are fine, it's just the connections to the cars that need re-engineering. The good news is that I can fabricate brackets, but can't bend bars.

It's a bit strange though. The 7/8" Addco bar I bought back in the 80s was designed to use the original MGB links. I think.

Gonna have to look. It's still installed on my 65 MGB race car. I took the rear bar off the last time I redid the suspension, but it would be a good idea to re-install it to see if I still like the handling.

I was looking for more neutral, so I could kick the tail end of the car out to get round tight corners.
Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   usa
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT

In reply to # 2064439 by Be Coming
In reply to # 2064413 by Steve64B As far as the fit of ADDCO products… they’ve been turning out garbage for over 50 years and pissing off customers every step of the way.

I've found that the bars are fine, it's just the connections to the cars that need re-engineering. The good news is that I can fabricate brackets, but can't bend bars.

It's a bit strange though. The 7/8" Addco bar I bought back in the 80s was designed to use the original MGB links. I think.

Gonna have to look. It's still installed on my 65 MGB race car. I took the rear bar off the last time I redid the suspension, but it would be a good idea to re-install it to see if I still like the handling.

I was looking for more neutral, so I could kick the tail end of the car out to get round tight corners.

I have an Addco rear on a shelf. The trunk sheet metal held up fine, but the ends mounted to the tabs on the rear suspension broke off on two different MGBs I had the bar on.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG