Save up to 15% with Moss Motors' Buy More, Save More Sale
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jbl
Jeffrey Lance
Virginia, USA   usa

Hello Everyone...This is a great site and everyone seems really helpful. I am a new owner of a 1979 MGB but unfortunately I cannot drive my new toy yet. The rubber boot on the slave cylinder was deteriorated and just hanging onto the slave cylinder in pieces. And the clutch pedal was dead; I could not get the car into gear. There is no fluid in the master cylinder. The previous owner had the car in his garage for a few years and he said it needed a new master and slave cylinder so I have ordered and received a new master and slave cylinder kit from Victoria British.

I have replaced the slave cylinder and flexible hose but I am having problems removing the master cylinder. There are two bolts securing the master cylinder. I removed the top bolt easily but I cannot figure how to remove the bottom bolt. I have disconnected the clevis pin attaching the clutch pedal to the master cylinder push rod. I can see the bottom nut but I cannot get a wrench or socket on it...needless to say I don't know how I can get a wrench on the bolt head either.

Is there a trick to this or a special tool? I have searched the Internet but I cannot find anything on this. I am guessing it must be easily done because no one else seems to have this problem.

Another question; the slave cylinder push rod is connected by a clevis pin to the clutch lever (if that's the correct term) coming out of the side of the transmission housing. Mine does not have the rubber boot covering the clutch lever. Is this rubber boot necessary in order to operate the vehicle? Or will I damage anything if I try to drive the vehicle after I have completed the installation of the clutch master\slave cylinders and bled the lines? Even if it is safe to operate the car without the rubber boot; I still plan to replace it. I just want to take the car for a test drive after I completed the installation of the clutch master\slave cylinders.

Any help is appreciated. And thanks for such a great forum.

Jeff

carl135i Avatar
Carl Poleschner
Venice, Florida, USA   usa

Try going into the driver foot-well and removing the rubber plug that allows you access to the engine compartment behind the master cylinder.. You will see the banjo bolt connected the line the the slave cylinder and you should be able to get a long extension with a swivel and socket on the lower nut of the master cylinder.

NNN
Norman Nalepa
Florida, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB "Chick Mobile"

x2

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
rrmgb Avatar
robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   usa
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB

Its a rectangular plug about 3" x 2". Big enough to see and it even has a handle on it!
The bottom nut is 1/2", the banjo fitting, if I remember correctly is 5/8"
Hope this helps and a big welcome from VA.
RS
thanks to philmckinney for the pic !

"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------
"It all starts in your mind's eye, then it goes to your heart
and finally to your very soul."
G.S.George PHD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-13 08:31 PM by rrmgb.

Attachments:
Dash_electrical_001.JPG    63.1 KB
Dash_electrical_001.JPG

Shinsen774 Avatar
Jim '64MGB
Virginia, USA   usa
1964 MG MGB
2003 Mazda MX-5 NB "Shinsen Version #774"

One of those curved obstruction wrenches helps alot, too.

1964 MGB Tourer
Central Virginia British Car Club
www.britishcarclub.com

Attachments:
image_4240.jpg    12.7 KB
image_4240.jpg

rrmgb Avatar
robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   usa
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB

Jeffrey, where in VA. ? I'm in NOVA
RS

"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------
"It all starts in your mind's eye, then it goes to your heart
and finally to your very soul."
G.S.George PHD

mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

If you think it is tricky getting it out, how about getting that lower mounting bolt back in!

Here's the trick

tap the two mounting holes in the MC. I think 3/8-16 works. Then get a couple 1" 3/8-16 cap screws and screw 'em in from the front.

For getting these things out (if installed the "regular" way, I've usually removed the pedal box so I can clean under it, chase threads, and get at the nuts. But then I've not had to do much with an RB and the brake booster which might complicate things a mite.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed
MGB Tips and Tricks: www.mgrescue.com

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
gooser Avatar
Drake Myers
Danville Va, USA   usa

hello from another girl in virginia. warning: if you remove the pedal box those are not phillips screws holding it on. they're pozidrive.

jbl
Jeffrey Lance
Virginia, USA   usa

Thanks everyone. I found the access hole shown in the picture above. However my MGB does not have the panel. Instead the opening is stuff with foam (like pillow foam). Its too dark now to do anything so I will try to get the lower bolt tomorrow evening after work. I now have some options to try. I was pretty frustrated early after trying unsuccessfully for about 30 minutes to get at the lower bolt. And I must say putting on the slave cylinder was no fun either. I suppose it would have been easier if I took off the starter but I managed to work around it. I think I have to get me a set of curved obstruction wrenches.

rrmgb - I live in Danville which is on the border with North Carolina.

gooser Avatar
Drake Myers
Danville Va, USA   usa

four members from danville? you, me, lloyd hess, and steve robinette used to post on here.

jbl
Jeffrey Lance
Virginia, USA   usa

Hey gooser, small world. It is not too often that one runs into someone from Danville on Internet bulletin boards.

gooser Avatar
Drake Myers
Danville Va, USA   usa

yeah, i think they're more people here from little old danvile than montreal, quebec.

Rescued 64 MGB Avatar
David Shelly
Madison, Alabama, USA   usa
1960 MG MGA "April"
1964 MG MGB "Junie"

Jeff,

As for the rubber boot, it keeps rocks, dirt, oil and grime from getting into the clutch / transmission.

I'd install one to prevent future issues.

The one I ordered for my '64 from Victoria British was not flexible enough to slip over the clutch arm. Even silicon grease couldn't make it slide over the end.

I ordered from Moss or LBCarCo and it slipped over the clutch arm with little effort. VB needs to find another source for rubber components. - David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-14 06:14 AM by Rescued 64 MGB.

jbl
Jeffrey Lance
Virginia, USA   usa

Thanks David. I guess I need to checkout the inside to see if it needs cleaning. I have no idea how well the PO took care of this car. It looks to be in descent shape but it just needs some TLC. So far I haven't found anything too serious.

BTW, I noticed you are in Germany. Are you in the US military? I was in the USAF and stationed at Ramstien AB back in the mid-80's.

Thanks,
Jeff

Rescued 64 MGB Avatar
David Shelly
Madison, Alabama, USA   usa
1960 MG MGA "April"
1964 MG MGB "Junie"

Hey Jeff,

I need to get in the habit of "checking" the "follow topic" box.

I am US Army, stationed in Stuttgart. One of these days I'm going to crash the local MG Club meeting.

I enjoy the forum as a way of living vicariously though other MG owners until I can get back to my own projects. What limited experience I have...I'm willing to share.

Good Luck!

David

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG