MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

firing order

Posted by fxdwglide 
jim white
kodak tn, USA   usa

1976? runs good low power firing order is 1432 not 1342 if I change it to 1342 it only hit on 2 cyclinders also pulling number 3 does not change engine idle ?
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

Pulling a plug wire and no change in idle speed indicates a dead hole; either no spark or no compression.
Firing order is 1342 counter clockwise.
Edit: Where are you looking on the distributor for #1? Above or below the clamp?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2010 10:22AM by chris.

Member Services:
Not just for MG parts. Quality new parts at 15% off of list. No sales tax in Oregon Check out the Vendor Market page.
jim white
kodak tn, USA   usa

it will only run with it in 1432 order it has spark and comp I am not sure of the engine year the car is a 1976 but I bought a new dis cap and it was wrong the engine number is 18V801AEL3170 if anyone knows that my help this is my first mg
chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

Which distributor cap position are you using as #1?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2010 10:27AM by chris.

Member Services:
Not just for MG parts. Quality new parts at 15% off of list. No sales tax in Oregon Check out the Vendor Market page.
jim white
kodak tn, USA   usa

top right
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
rrmgb Avatar
robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   usa
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB

So far so good thumbs up
Is # 1 piston (front of engine) on compression stroke?
Next one to fire is #3. Top left on dist.cap. About 10 or 11 o'clock.
Then #4 at 7 o'clock, then #2 at 4 o'clock on the cap.
Verify #1 piston is on compression stroke!
Welcome to the MGE Jim! We'll have you up and runnin in no time!
RS

"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------
"It all starts in your mind's eye, then it goes to your heart
and finally to your very soul."
G.S.George PHD
PaulP Avatar
Paul Peterson
Seattle, WA, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB

Can you take a picture of the right side of the engine?
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

#1 is at the front of the engine, not the rear.

Something is basically wrong or else there's some misunderstanding involved. the car won't run well (or at all) with the order you say it needs to have)

the firing order 1-3-4-2 is common to every inline 4 cylinder engine I have ever seen. Including ones in brand new cars, so it is not an MG oddity.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed
MGB Tips and Tricks: www.mgrescue.com
Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   usa
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT

Start from square one. Pull the valve cover and rotate the engine until the valves on #4 are on overlap, which places #1 at TDC firing. Observe if the rotor is pointing at the wire going to #1 cylinder. Make sure the wire just one position counterclockwiseis running to #3, then the next one counterclockwise is running to #4, and the last one is running to #2. Like Mac said, the cylinders are numbered with #1 at the front of the engine.

Also, they are numbered #1, #2, #3, #4, front to back.

I'm not trying to be a smart alec...A while back someone on the forum thought that since the firing order is 1342, the cylinders are numbered that way front to back!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

In reply to a post by Rod H. I'm not trying to be a smart alec...A while back someone on the forum thought that since the firing order is 1342, the cylinders are numbered that way front to back!

exactly! We've even had an episode of someone trying to run SUs with no needle in the piston (and a related episode of the rebuilder not putting the needle in there before shipping!<G>winking smiley

And at least one maker does number then back to front...SAAB, except that there the front of the engine in (was) in back so it really was front to back, but turned around)

SUs, Datsun 5-speed
Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   usa
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT

In reply to a post by mac townsend
In reply to a post by Rod H. I'm not trying to be a smart alec...A while back someone on the forum thought that since the firing order is 1342, the cylinders are numbered that way front to back!

exactly! We've even had an episode of someone trying to run SUs with no needle in the piston (and a related episode of the rebuilder not putting the needle in there before shipping!<G>winking smiley

And at least one maker does number then back to front...SAAB, except that there the front of the engine in (was) in back so it really was front to back, but turned around)

Any car that you can change the clutch withough separating the engine and transmission hasto be a little odd!

Then there are air cooled bugs that put #1 toward the front of the car, even though that's the rear of the engine...or is it the front? winking smiley

Manuals are good!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi

mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

gotcha there, Rod. <G> I think I said "inline 4"...<LOL>

Subie and other pancake engines, like the bug, V4's like some Lancias and German Fords, and probably some engines I've not seen probably won't adhere to 1-3-4-2.

You are sooo right about "manuals are good"

In reply to a post by Rod H.

Any car that you can change the clutch withough separating the engine and transmission hasto be a little odd!

Then there are air cooled bugs that put #1 toward the front of the car, even though that's the rear of the engine...or is it the front? winking smiley

Manuals are good!

SUs, Datsun 5-speed
Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   usa
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT

Actually, Mac, believe it or not mid 60s Toyota Coronas had an inline four with an oddball firing order of 1243. I remember this because I worked on a few and it caused some trouble! confused smiley

By the late 60s they saw the error in their ways, and went with the accepted norm...

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi

bernard lanigan
montgomery al, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB "The B"

bernard lanigan
montgomery al, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB "The B"

The Puegeot and jag ,,number 1 is next to fly wheel and thats the power take-off point
so that is Correct ! Flat head fords had number 1 thru 4 on one bank and 5thru 8 on
the other..
All crank journals travel a true circle. So you can time it by any cylinder thats on
TDC compression stroke
jim white
kodak tn, USA   usa

does any one know the year on this 18V801AEL3170
chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

Air cooled VW is 1342 like normal engines.

Member Services:
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

In reply to a post by golf The Puegeot and jag ,,number 1 is next to fly wheel and thats the power take-off point
so that is Correct ! Flat head fords had number 1 thru 4 on one bank and 5thru 8 on
the other..
All crank journals travel a true circle. So you can time it by any cylinder thats on
TDC compression stroke

and how many of these are inline fours? Puegeot, mabe? (I never had the experience of working on a 403/404)

V6 fords today have 1-2-3- along the back bank and 4-5-6 on ther front, but they do "cross" fire.

I recall the non-supercharged Lycoming V8 in my Dad's cord 812, fired up one bank and down the other. Had to change the firing order with the supercharger.

did not know about the Toyota Corona, though. Interesting. And thanks!

SUs, Datsun 5-speed
Denis Avatar
Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   aus

There have been plenty in line 4s with 1243 firing order which is not strange as its the same sequencing as 1342 only the other way around.
Denis
rrmgb Avatar
robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   usa
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB

In reply to a post by fxdwglide does any one know the year on this 18V801AEL3170

Does it have a catalytic converter? That makes it after 4/95
I'm sure someone has a list of engine #s
RS

"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------
"It all starts in your mind's eye, then it goes to your heart
and finally to your very soul."
G.S.George PHD

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG