MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Front shock absorber oil weight?

Posted by Kurt Breitsprecher 
Thunder Bay, ON, Canada   can
1971 MG MGB

I have looked through many books, and am haveing trouble finding what type of oil to put in the front shocks, and the best way to do it. I called a mechanic friend of mine who knows more about these things than anyone else i know and he said that these used a special type oil called "Shock Absober Oil". He said that you could use power steering fluid or Automatic Transmission fluid as well. My question is if this is too stiff/not stiff enough, what do i put in it to change the weight?

Kurt
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
cfrench Avatar
Carl W. French
alfred, Maine, USA   usa

You can just go get hydraulic jack oil or you can go to a motorcycle shop and get front shock oil in 10 or 20 weight. Before I replaced my leaky shocks I was refilling them every now and then with 20w but it was hard to find. It is also quite a fiddle to actually get the oil in there but I cobbled together some medical products and made a neat set up I still have.

Carl W. French
Alfred, Maine
Southern Maine LBC welfare shelter
67B will be in our will
73BGT Daily driver
73BGT Wife's car
Many more that change often

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/leylandauto/

chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

The book calls for mineral oil. Get it at a drugstore.

Member Services:
Not just for MG parts. Quality new parts at 15% off of list. No sales tax in Oregon Check out the Vendor Market page.
NewB Avatar
Michael D. Abild
San Marcos, TX, USA   usa

I used hydraulic jack oil to top mine off, and it seems to work fine. Nearly all auto parts stores or farm supply (TSC) stores have it.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Alabama, USA   usa

use mineral oil its great

1979 MGB V6 Tourer

Harley Davidson fork oil in mine. Gives you an excuse to go shopping at the local Harley store :-)

Joe Reed, Cordova TN

'02 Subaru.....'95 Miata.....'78 MGB
John D. Weimer Avatar
Cape Girardeau, MO, USA   usa

The Solder Seal/Gunk Company has a very convienient jack oil for getting it into small holes. It's in a pressurized aerosol can with a tiny straw much like brake or carb cleaner. No muss, no fuss, no need to cuss, just stick the straw in and fill 'er up. Gunk P/N M33-12.

My Motto: Clean Body, Clean Mind...................... Take Your Pick.

chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

I use an old horse syringe with tubing from the windshield washer line. Suck it up, shoot it in.

Member Services:
Not just for MG parts. Quality new parts at 15% off of list. No sales tax in Oregon Check out the Vendor Market page.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG