Steve Doss
Columbus, USA   usa

I just got my new harness....

any advice on installation? or to do's?

I was going to spray the old connections etc. with electrical component cleaner

I've already replaced the switch on the OD

Thanks

http://1974mgb.blogspot.com/
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Simon Austin Avatar
Surrey, BC, Canada   can

Prior to installing, I've gone through the entire harness laid out on the floor and labeled each circuit. Not as daunting as it sounds as these are relatively simple harnesses.

Use the wiring diagrams available at www.advanceautowire.com

By laying it out, it'll make sense as to what circuits go where in the car.
James D
beach, VA, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB "The Bee"

Hi Steve, assuming you are replacing the main harness...? If so the dash out of the way and cleaning up the engine bay will make things easier, who knows..? you might find you need other things as well headlight pigtails, switches, etc... . Replacing the wiring harness is one of the main parts of the restoration and you only want to do it once. Above all you want NO hot wire end rubbing on the frame (ground) and use British rated fuses. Other than that its just a matter of plugging things in and fitting the harness neatly....

78..Bee, Leyland A/C (removed), Saturn 95 amp Alternator, Wire Wheels, Lumenition ignition, Weber 32/36, Four speed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 04:37PM by James74.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
gsj28 Avatar
Gary Jackson
Tracy, California, USA   usa
1965 MG MGB
1972 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB GT

Don't forget the dielectric grease...
chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

Put the harness in panty hose when pulling through the firewall. Pull one strand through at a time, and that keeps your harness covering from getting all chewed up.

Member Services:
Not just for MG parts. Quality new parts at 15% off of list. No sales tax in Oregon.Can kozees at $2 each, black hoodies $25 both plus postage. Check out the Vendor Market page.
bleteaches6 Avatar
Lee Orphan
Sumner, WA, USA   usa

In reply to a post by chris Put the harness in panty hose when pulling through the firewall. Pull one strand through at a time, and that keeps your harness covering from getting all chewed up.

good tip Chris
Steve Doss
Columbus, USA   usa

Thanks for all the advice.

GeeMoo Avatar
Greg M
North of the City, Ontario, Canada   can
1970 MG MGB
1972 MG MGB GT

Good opportunity to remove the fusebox and to clean and re-solder the rivets in the back. You might also want to note some of the grommet sizes and run down to the local auto supply place to replace what you can get your hands on easily. Some of the old grommets will probably disintegrate when you try to pull the connectors through them.

1970 MGB Black Label OD, APT VP12, Fidanza Flywheel, Flowspeed Head, Hilton AUD405 HS4 SU's, Schlemmerized Distributor, Pertronix Ignition, Saturn Alternator, 15" Dayton Wire Wheels, Falken ZE 912's, Falcon Big Bore
1972 MGB GT Blue Label OD, APT VP14, Fidanza Flywheel, Flowspeed Head, HIF SU's, Schlemmerized Distributor, Points Ignition, Saturn Alternator, 15" GC360 Wheels, Falken ZE-950s, Peco Exhaust, Frontline Costello front valance

Dave jeanson
Lakeville, USA   usa
1971 MG MGB "B"

Good luck and have and have fun I did mine and enjoyed it a lot
sjboyer Avatar
Scott Boyer
Naperville, Illinois, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB

X2 on the panty hose.
Stan B Avatar
Arnhem, Arnhem, Netherlands   nld
1967 MG MGB
1969 MG MGB GT

don't clean the connectors; replace them. They are pretty cheap and it makes no sense to replace the wiring loom and not do the connectors.

Stan

1967 primrose yellow MGB (ex-USA)
1969 flame red MGB GT (original Dutch)
EW Chapman Avatar
Earl Chapman
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada   can
1969 MG MGB

In reply to a post by Stan B don't clean the connectors; replace them. They are pretty cheap and it makes no sense to replace the wiring loom and not do the connectors.

That's some good advice from Stan. You've gone this far with the new harness, splash out for another $30 and get all new connectors.
Steve Doss
Columbus, USA   usa

In reply to a post by EW Chapman
In reply to a post by Stan B don't clean the connectors; replace them. They are pretty cheap and it makes no sense to replace the wiring loom and not do the connectors.

That's some good advice from Stan. You've gone this far with the new harness, splash out for another $30 and get all new connectors.

What I meant was the "stuff" that plugs into the wiring loom... (brake testing switch ...) anything that's old that might be corroded I want somewhat clean

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG