Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Raceland Windblokker Update

Posted by Car Prep Inc. 
Car Prep Inc. Avatar
Chuck Methven
Corona, CA, USA   usa
1997 BMW Z3

Well.....I received my Windblokker this morning. It appears to be of pretty good quality. However, my box had no installation instructions or bolts to attach it to the brackets. I got two washers and a couple of stick on "Raceland" badges. I guess I'll have to call them or find out what size bolts to buy locally.

Cheers!!

Cheers!!

Chuck
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
jdeluke137 Avatar
John English
Jefferson, Georgia, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB

Chuck, this was on the listing at e-bay. Maybe it will help:

Installation:

Remove the two screws that attaches the top bow to the body of vehicle
Loosen the third screw, pull the bow forward and slide bracket behind bow
Replace the two screws and tighten all three screws
Repeat for opposite side
Now install windblokker on the brackets using the two thumb screws provided
You are now ready to enjoy your new windblokker

John English
1976 MGB
HIF44 carb on late manifold, Schlemmerized 45D w/Pertronix, Limey's relay kit, solid state voltage stabilizer.

Luke 1:37
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

I'm waiting to see if the thing is offset to the back. if it runs straight across from the mount to mount, then it is useless to me (or anyone who has the seat back all the way), as I'd be seated behind it!

1973 Roadster. A nice 50-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed
MGB Tips and Tricks: www.mgrescue.com
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
RSS Avatar
RSS Gold Member
R SS
Virginia, USA   usa

In reply to a post by mac townsend I'm waiting to see if the thing is offset to the back. if it runs straight across from the mount to mount, then it is useless to me (or anyone who has the seat back all the way), as I'd be seated behind it!

Then they could sell a bunch more as bug screens. grinning smiley

Congress is proposing a bill that would give President Obama a kill switch that he could use to freeze all activity on the Internet if there were a national emergency. The kill switch goes by the top-secret name Microsoft Windows. –Conan O'Brien

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 12:42PM by RSS.
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

In reply to a post by RSS
In reply to a post by mac townsend I'm waiting to see if the thing is offset to the back. if it runs straight across from the mount to mount, then it is useless to me (or anyone who has the seat back all the way), as I'd be seated behind it!

Then the could sell a bunch more as bug screens. grinning smiley

hey Rick, you supposa be working, man! Not surfing MGE. Janet know you're messing around?<BG>

SUs, Datsun 5-speed
RSS Avatar
RSS Gold Member
R SS
Virginia, USA   usa

In reply to a post by mac townsend
In reply to a post by RSS

Then the could sell a bunch more as bug screens. grinning smiley

hey Rick, you supposa be working, man! Not surfing MGE. Janet know you're messing around?<BG>

Naw, I had to call in sick today. I picked up the flu or something last week and I spent last night with a horrid fever. sad smiley I'm feeling a helluva lot better this afternoon.

Congress is proposing a bill that would give President Obama a kill switch that he could use to freeze all activity on the Internet if there were a national emergency. The kill switch goes by the top-secret name Microsoft Windows. –Conan O'Brien
Car Prep Inc. Avatar
Chuck Methven
Corona, CA, USA   usa
1997 BMW Z3

In reply to a post by jdeluke137 Chuck, this was on the listing at e-bay. Maybe it will help:

Installation:

Remove the two screws that attaches the top bow to the body of vehicle
Loosen the third screw, pull the bow forward and slide bracket behind bow
Replace the two screws and tighten all three screws
Repeat for opposite side
Now install windblokker on the brackets using the two thumb screws provided
You are now ready to enjoy your new windblokker

Yeah, I remember seeing them. A diagram would be nice though because the brackets are a bit different from each other and are not marked right or left. I think I can figure it out but it would be nice to have the THUMB SCREWS!!!!

Cheers!!

Chuck
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

In reply to a post by Car Prep Inc. nice though because the brackets are a bit different from each other and are not marked right or left. I think I can figure it out but it would be nice to have the THUMB SCREWS!!!!

they are illegal now. waterboarding, thumb screws, all the fun stuff is illegal now.<G>

SUs, Datsun 5-speed
TTFN Avatar
M G
Ontario, Canada   can

In reply to a post by mac townsend they are illegal now. waterboarding, thumb screws, all the fun stuff is illegal now.<G>

If you enjoy it I'm sure we can find someone administer it :-)
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

Well, mine arrived.

An installation diagram or even a "right" and "left" lable on the brackets would have helped. They mount on the 3-scres mount used for the top, tonneau bracket, etc. the screws are Pozidrive screws. the holes used are the one at the bottom (for the slotred hole in the bracket) and the rear one at the top.

The windscreen itself is a light tubular frame with a vinyl upholstery material sewn around it and to a mesh that is the blocking agent.

The mount holes are metric threaded (9mm x 1.25) and there are knobs with the threaded studs included, these are used to attach the screen to teh mount.

The threaded holes in the frame on the one I received were badly rusted inside. Looks like the thing has been in the box or on the shelf for months and months.The holes were not threaded all the way in--and one of them was blocked and I could not even drill it out w/o destroying the threads, so I'll have to shim the knob with 1/4" washers in order to tighten.

I ran out of light (and non-raining environment) before I finished install. It is supposed to pour tomorrow so...over to you someone with sunshine...

SUs, Datsun 5-speed
Car Prep Inc. Avatar
Chuck Methven
Corona, CA, USA   usa
1997 BMW Z3

In reply to a post by mac townsend Well, mine arrived.

An installation diagram or even a "right" and "left" lable on the brackets would have helped. They mount on the 3-scres mount used for the top, tonneau bracket, etc. the screws are Pozidrive screws. the holes used are the one at the bottom (for the slotred hole in the bracket) and the rear one at the top.

The windscreen itself is a light tubular frame with a vinyl upholstery material sewn around it and to a mesh that is the blocking agent.

The mount holes are metric threaded (9mm x 1.25) and there are knobs with the threaded studs included, these are used to attach the screen to teh mount.

The threaded holes in the frame on the one I received were badly rusted inside. Looks like the thing has been in the box or on the shelf for months and months.The holes were not threaded all the way in--and one of them was blocked and I could not even drill it out w/o destroying the threads, so I'll have to shim the knob with 1/4" washers in order to tighten.

I ran out of light (and non-raining environment) before I finished install. It is supposed to pour tomorrow so...over to you someone with sunshine...

At least you got the thumb screws with yours!! I too noticed that the threads were rusty looking. I sent an email to Raceland asking them about the screws but have not heard back yet. I still think it's worth the $38 though!

Cheers!!

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 09:41PM by Car Prep Inc..
paul74 Avatar
Paul Gurnee
Ferndale, CA, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB

I got mine in and drove a bit. My review is in the original thread. Both threaded holes in the frame were blocked just as in Mac's.
Paul
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

In reply to a post by Car Prep Inc.

At least you got the thumb screws with yours!! I too noticed that the threads were rusty looking. I sent an email to Raceland asking them about the screws but have not heard back yet. I still think it's worth the $38 though!

well with the size you should be able to find something to work for the meantime. 9mm x 1.25 is what I measured.

SUs, Datsun 5-speed

Car Prep Inc. Avatar
Chuck Methven
Corona, CA, USA   usa
1997 BMW Z3

In reply to a post by mac townsend
In reply to a post by Car Prep Inc.

well with the size you should be able to find something to work for the meantime. 9mm x 1.25 is what I measured.

Yes, I forgot to say, thanks Mac! I'll go to home depot tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Cheers!!

Chuck

PaulM Avatar
Paul McLaren
Lower Mainland BC, Canada   can
1968 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB "Miss Lou"
1970 MG MGB "Dolly"

Looking forward to some photos Chuck.

Thanks
Paul

Paul McLaren

1969 MGC GT
1970 MGB Roadster
1970 MGB Roadster
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

the 9x1.25 thread ID might be off. it might be 10 x 1.25.

if you can, take the frame with you and check directly.

SUs, Datsun 5-speed

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG