MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Is it possible to fit Speakers in the footwell .

Posted by bill62310 
Bill Price
Oxnard , Ca., USA   usa
1971 MG MGB

I would like to know if there is enough space behind the panels in the footwell to fit radio speakers.

It is on a 71 Roadster, there is no map pocket fitted
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
scubaman46 Avatar
Tim Moorhead
Dallas, USA   usa
1966 MG MGB
1977 MG MGB "The B"

No. The footwell panels screw directly into the inner fenders. There is zero clearance.

Tim Moorhead - Damask Red '77 MGB
Supercharged & Roller Rockered
Ansa Exhausted & Mini-Lited
Lowered & Prothaned
bleteaches6 Avatar
Lee Orphan
Sumner, WA, USA   usa

Yes there is, but you will need some sort of weather tight housing for the speakers as you will have to cut out the panel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2010 12:17PM by bleteaches6.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
twigworker Avatar
Jack Austin
Blowing Rock, NC, USA   usa

FWIW, speakers down there should be relied upon for just the base frequencies. Same thing with trying to stick them up under the dash or in the back panel. Low frequency stuff spreads everywhere, as if you hadn't noticed the "cool ride" coming down the street a block before you could see him. :-)

You should figure out some way of sealing with the high frequency stuff before settling on a speaker plan. HF is very directional and must be aimed at or near the head level of at least the driver or by bouncing it off f the inside of the windshield.

Several car manufacturers do just that with tiny speakers mounted at the far corners of the scuttle with their aim up at the glass at such an angle that the sound is reflected reasonable toward head level.

Having said that IMHO installing an expensive and very capable sound sytem in a roadster seems like a big waste of money to me.

An alternative would be to use a radio/player with two ear bud jacks on the front for easy use of said headphones. Just use the kind that allow for some ambient sound transfer so that you don't end up getting whacked because you couldn't hear the other guy's horn. LOL

Jack

---------------------------------------------------- Services to Interesting British Automobiles-- www.jackscars.net ----------------------------------------------------------------
-------------I like to think that I don't service automobiles so much as I provide entertainment, fulfill dreams and revive wonderful memories --------------

I am in the northwestern North Carolina mountains, right up against the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lawn chairs are in the shop and always time to talk. Drop in any time.

Member Services:
Over 40 years of caring and capable services to British cars and their owners. For help or advice please call 828-295-0224, email to jackscars@charter.net or go to www.jackscars.net.
Bob Agar Avatar
Robert Agar
Green Valley, AZ, USA   usa
1953 MG TD "Myrtle Anne"
1974 MG MGB "The Mistress"

I have a custom built speaker "box" on the shelf behind the seats and a pair of HF speakers mounted tot he kick panels, just below the dash on each corner of the dash. Seems to give a good quality and quantity of sound. But in a roadster, nothing sounds better than the exhaust tone.
gooser Avatar
Drake Myers
Danville Va, USA   usa

the answer to your question is yes. buy 2 map pockets, cut holes in them, install some thin depth speakers, turn them upside down and install on the sill close to the door.
JohnQ Avatar
John Querna
Columbus, GA, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB

I don't know if or where they are still available, but I have seen "triangular enclosures" (with the point of the triangle pointed downward, which simply screw onto the footwell side with sheet metal screws, 4 inch or so speakers, and they don't interefere with footroom (much).
Russ Johnston Avatar
Toronto, ON '73 Supercharged MGB, flowed head, c, Canada   can

Personally, I don't think it's worth it. Spent a lot of time and energy doing the same thing, but the sound quality is marginal at best. Here's the problem, you don't get any base out of a 5-6" speaker, only high frequencies (treble). Unless you can somehow point the tweeter in your general direction it may not make a big difference.

For a basic RDS application, I found using pre-fab 6 x 9 boxes on the back ledge works well. If you angle the boxes in slightly, the mids/highs work well.

Just my two cents.
max71 Avatar
Gary Alpern
Portland, OR, USA   usa
1971 MG MGB "Max"

See this thread. http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?1,1078245,1078245#msg-1078245

Very nice. Unfortunately I was quoted $500-600 for something like this. Yikes.
Ralph 7h Avatar
Ralph Siebenhaar
Viersen, Germany   deu

Bill,

if you want something close to hifi, take some headphones and even the cheapest ones will give better results than expensive speakers in an open B.
For fair results the foreward section of the door cards is an exceptable location to put speakers in, although you will have poor bass frequencies due to the physical dimensions of the speakers and the poor damping of the doos theirselfes. For higher freqencies, it works OK but not realy well, as there is no space to have an amplitude osccilating inside the car as in a large livingroom. Hood down makes things even worse.
Fitting speakers to the footwell section will only give extremely poor results. No real bass an even worse trible as low frequencies need passive chamber volume and high frequencies can ony provide a litening angle of 60° towards the passengers. How can this established in a MGB?

If you are not after impressing others upon the money you spent for electronics and speakers, keep it simple!
Don't let anybody fool you upon frequency ranges of speaker systems or harmonic disortion figuren of the receiver,
you can not repoduce hifi sounds in a car as small as a MGB, even worse with the hood down. Just simple physics!

If you like it, put a pair of speakers into the doors and fit a cheap CD radio into the console. It will sound as good a the most expensive MacIntosh car hifi unit due to the limitedd physical situation provided by the leyout of the MGB cockpit. Simply physics and all to often made expensive exprience.

Ralph

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2010 03:55PM by Ralph 7h.
JoeReed Avatar
Joe Reed
Cordova, Tennessee, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"

In reply to a post by Ralph 7h Bill,

if you want something close to hifi, take some headphones and even the cheapest ones will give better results than expensive speakers in an open B.

Ralph

Keep in mind that wearing headphones while driving isn't safe...and may even be illegal in some states, since it interferes with your being able to hear emergency vehicles. I know, a cranked up stereo with the windows up is probably just about as bad....

fordgt Avatar
Gary Ford
Gainesville, FL, USA   usa

I built a kick ass sysytem in my roadster, you can clearly hear the music at 65MPH with the top down. I have a 400 watt amp mounted in the trunk bulkhead, I installed an 8" sub in the empty battery box behind the driver seat, I used Blaupunkt Thin series 4 x 6 in the footwell using custom made speaker "pods" actually upside down map pockets cut down to make them shorter and covered with matching vinyl. Finally, I put 1.5 inch tweeters on the A pillar mounted near ear level. all of this was accomplished without cutting any panels except the removable battery tray lid and 2 1 inch holes to route amp wiring from the trunk.

check out this link for pictures

http://www.dropshots.com/fordgt

the password is 69mgb

Gary
1974 DeTomaso Pantera (done!!)
1969 MGB (almost finished!!)
1973 Cougar XR7 Ragtop (next project in line)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2010 05:04PM by fordgt.
Redwind Avatar
Charlie Hopek
So. Cal, USA   usa

In reply to a post by Bob Agar I have a custom built speaker "box" on the shelf behind the seats and a pair of HF speakers mounted tot he kick panels, just below the dash on each corner of the dash. Seems to give a good quality and quantity of sound. But in a roadster, nothing sounds better than the exhaust tone.

Bob, do you have a pic of your boxes. I'm looking to do the same
DrewM Avatar
Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   usa

I installed speakers (good ones) into the map pockets (turned upside down), and believe me, the sound is lousy. Not worth the effort. Door speakers is the best way to go, in my opinion. I've tried speakers behind the seats, in the center console, etc. All are marginal at best compared to door speakers, at least as far as my experience.

Drew Maddock
Pasadena, California

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG