Please Sign In or Register to Search

"2+2" - Four-Seat MGB Conversion

Posted by RSS 
RSS Avatar
RSS Gold Member
R SS
Virginia, USA   usa

Heck, even the MGOC thought it was a good idea. Who knew? :eyepop:

Congress is proposing a bill that would give President Obama a kill switch that he could use to freeze all activity on the Internet if there were a national emergency. The kill switch goes by the top-secret name Microsoft Windows. –Conan O'Brien
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Oregon Bob Avatar
Bob Brew
Springfield, Oregon, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB "Tubby"

It would be kind of cool if somebody actually got ahold of one of these - or the stuff to do it themselves. Not for everyone, but it would be kind of a cool novelty to see...

__________________________________________________________________________________

I'm not entirely sure what step two of this plan is...
Andrew Schmunk
__________________________________________________________________________________

Since you asked...
1979 MGB Roadster CB Conversion in progress (Ms.Fitz)
3.1L GM V6 (carburated)
T5 5-speed
Fiero Seats
Fiero tilt steering column
Fiero heater fan
RX-7 electric door mirrors
1964 steel dash
patrick bailey
oregon city, USA   usa

I don't think the MGB was made to carry the extra weight and why isn't there a picture of it with the hood up?
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
DrewM Avatar
Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   usa

Unpleasant looking, at best. I imagine putting the top up is not going to work. Are there seat belts? If you have more than two people to haul around, spend the money on a used sedan rather than stuffing them in the back of a roadster. I wonder if they sold a single one of these things?

Drew Maddock
Pasadena, California
RSS Avatar
RSS Gold Member
R SS
Virginia, USA   usa

According to the MGOC article, the (modified) top does go up. Tall people found it uncomfortable, but normal people were just fine. Apparently they also uprated the rear suspension. Some sort of trade secret. winking smiley

And seat belts? We don't need no stinkin' seat belts!

Congress is proposing a bill that would give President Obama a kill switch that he could use to freeze all activity on the Internet if there were a national emergency. The kill switch goes by the top-secret name Microsoft Windows. –Conan O'Brien
Steve S Avatar
Lost in the California mountains, USA   usa
1925 Ford Model T
1939 Ford V8
1949 MG TC
1953 MG Y-Type Saloon
1958 MG MGA   → more

I have some info on those things somewhere and can't seem to find it. I think there were actually two firms offering this modification but don't recall exactly. It was expensive and not entirely practical in the end. For the money I probably would have simply bought a better 4-seat tourer.

djdavies Avatar
David D
Ca, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB

Yeah, they look comfy!!

Attachments:
MGEX.jpg (18.7 KB) –
MGEX.jpg

Paul J Avatar
Paul Jennings
Locust Grove, ok, USA   usa

The photos look period and back then it probably would have been a novelty. An expensive one at that.
losmorob Avatar
Robert Park
Los Molinos, CA, USA   usa
1967 Austin-Healey Sprite "Penelope"
1970 MG MGB GT "Parts For Sale!"
1971 Wolseley 16/60
1972 MG MGB GT "The Money Pit"

Morning coffee spit take when I enlarged your avatar Rick.

Rob.

"Now the problem you have is that when you have the unerring certainty of machinery, it is a machine. When something has foibles, it won’t handle properly, that gives it a particularly human quality because it makes mistakes. And that’s how you can build a relationship with a car that other people won’t get."
Jeremy Clarkson
Zymurgy Avatar
Mike Madden
London, OH, USA   usa
1966 Chrysler 300 "Goldie"
1973 MG MGB "Melvin"

I love the old ad. If I had no legs ,and had adapted an auto tranny on my B, and had hand controls for my accelerator, it might work.
Shaun Butler
Boncath, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom   gbr

Thanks everybody for the prompt (and successful) replies.

Happy now!

Shaun.
Donthuis Avatar
Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   nld

When I became a member of the Dutch MG Car Club in 1978, there was a much older member who had both his MG's converted to 4 persons in the past. At first his MGA, later his MGB, both Tourers. It was only intended for taking his children when small with him and his wife. When he told me this, his children had grown up and he no longer used the back seats. Both cars were built and converted long before seat belts on new cars became mandatory in Holland (also in 1978).

In the MGB it required moving the battery to under the bonnet, at the right side, partway down the horizontal bodywork where USA MGC's had their brake assistance and later MGB's their carbon canister. The small 12 Volts battery was very close to the startmotor so this worked. Body changes at the back were lowering the cover above the old battery places and taking a part out of the top bodywork for giving room to the back passagers. The template being the GT 2+2 arrangement (for the MGA, still a chassisbased car, no real 2+2 example existed). As regards suspension, just mounting the GT back springs was quite sufficient

The person I'm talking about has now since long passed away and I have never seen an article in our MGCC magazine on such modified cars after the eigthies. Probably by now Dutch and European regulations no longer permit such arrangements to be used. MOT-rules on what is permitted and how such cars have to be approved changed strongly over the years...

PS When we had our first son in 1991 I made a safety fixation at the back and a wooden front support over the tunnel for a reverse-mounted baby chair in our MGB. The hood could not be lowered and the sunlight was shining in our son's eyes. So we hardly used it....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 04:11AM by Donthuis.
little red rollerskate Avatar
Richard Spurling
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia   aus
2005 MG ZR 160 "Thunder"

Why am I reminded of Richard Hammond's stretched limo MGF from Top Gear?

The first rule of MG is never ever ask why - there usually is no good reason, accept it and try and work out how to mend it
Rebekah Pearson
Exmouth, Devon, United Kingdom   gbr

Um, I've got one of these!
It's a 1966 Roadster converted by Befour in 1984 and cost £3250. When last contacted in the late 80's Befour said they apparently only did 31 conversions and they knew of 4 others in existence at the time.
losmorob Avatar
Robert Park
Los Molinos, CA, USA   usa
1967 Austin-Healey Sprite "Penelope"
1970 MG MGB GT "Parts For Sale!"
1971 Wolseley 16/60
1972 MG MGB GT "The Money Pit"

So what's the secret suspension set up?

Rob.

"Now the problem you have is that when you have the unerring certainty of machinery, it is a machine. When something has foibles, it won’t handle properly, that gives it a particularly human quality because it makes mistakes. And that’s how you can build a relationship with a car that other people won’t get."
Jeremy Clarkson
kimmie Avatar
Kimberly Rae
Briar Hill, Victoria, Australia   aus
1970 MG MGB MkIII "The G"
1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class "The Merc"

2+2s aren't supposed to be comfy in the back, that's why they're called 2+2 and not 4. And wadda ya mean "normal people"?!

It's not a car...It's an Adventure! (apologies to Casey Ryback)
33EJB Avatar
Tim C
LS, Eastern Ontario, Canada   can
1969 MG MGB "The Pickle Car (long Story...)"

In reply to # 2619442 by Devonmiad Um, I've got one of these!
It's a 1966 Roadster converted by Befour in 1984 and cost £3250. When last contacted in the late 80's Befour said they apparently only did 31 conversions and they knew of 4 others in existence at the time.

Pictures, please!
Paul Hatter
central california, USA   usa

It looks like the people in the back could catch a rock, bird, etc. right in the forehead. Paulsad smiley
saanich2006 Avatar
Robert Browning
Atlanta, Georgia, USA   usa

Like Mike, this is for all your friends who have no legs, as there would be no leg room what so ever!!!

On the stretch limo above, it looks like the entire side of it has been smashed up!

"He had delusions of adequacy."

Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   usa

Somewhere I saw some pics of a MGB converted to a four seated with the top up. It had a absolutely fugly roof line. I do not remember whether it was a 2 door or a 4 door, though. Just cannot understand why anyone would do this to a MGB!

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save